She's a he? Possible prolapse

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
So, now he has been putting the phallus out about 1.5 inches and keeping it out long enough to get dirt on it. I gently cleaned it off with the hose as that was the first thing that came to mind. I ran water over it. He doesn't bring it out all of the time and I've been watching to make sure. It more commonly happens when he's eating grass outside of his area. He has no problem making a bowel movement. Is this normal?

I've read here on the forum some information regarding a prolapse. Most people worry of it drying up and getting an infection, causing possible amputation. Maybe he's realizing he can control the thing?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
This was after I got some of the dirt out. He brought it out a little more and it was a light skin tone color, tanlike.

1425150014516.jpg 1425150026793.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I agree that it totally is, but I'm wondering if it's normal for it to come out while he's walking, causing it to get dirty.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
So it does look like my sulcata has somewhat prolapsed. It can go back in almost all of the way, but not completely. I've soaked him in warm water about 3 times today. He's gone to the bathroom today, and I'm not sure how else this may have been caused. He's fed a great diet according to the forum, hydrated and soaked often. Have you ever dealt with this? Sorry for the graphic picture. I've heard the sugar water soak helps, but I'm not sure the amount of ingredients.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It's not dry, so that's good. But that's bc I've soaked often.

Attachments

• 1426823979005.jpg
    1426823979005.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 38

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You make a paste of sugar and apply it. You can then wrap it in plastic wrap and duct tape it on. Just goop on the sugar paste.

But you still need to figure out why. If you get the swelling down so it goes back inside, without fixing the cause it will just happen again.

Might be worms, or a bladder stone, constipation - anything that causes him to strain.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
How pasty should the sugar be? It's weird that it's happening now because he's been in the same area for over a year. He's gone pee and poop today. I'll start working on it now...

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It's looking a little better this morning, less swollen. I decided to get up a few hours before I needed to get up before work so I could get in two treatments. Then another after I'm off work. I was glad to see that the penis looked wet even after the last treatment 6 hours ago, before bed. I'm tired, but wound up so I couldn't sleep! I was told that if it wasn't back in after 24 hours, I should see a vet.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I looked at it a little more, and it doesn't look much better. It's still dirty, and moist but still not so good. I definitely think a vet visit is in store this weekend...

Attachments

• 1426852439065.jpg
    1426852439065.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 29

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
It doesn't look like a prolapse to me. A prolapse usually precludes retraction to any great degree & it looks like he has it under his control but is simply exercising his freedom of expression!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I hope you're right. He needs to put the thing away! I have seen him bring it out more and them bring it in to this extent. It is for sure swollen. When I found him yesterday, it was really dirty and kind of dry.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I hope you're right. He needs to put the thing away! I have seen him bring it out more and them bring it in to this extent. It is for sure swollen. When I found him yesterday, it was really dirty and kind of dry.

If it was a prolapse, it would be almost fully extended and would have little if any retractability and would likely be dragging backwards. I can hear him now, "he's just jealous because his doesn't drag in the grass!"...

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
@HLogic well you've now given me more hope. I'll post a better picture within 30 minutes.