science fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
Okay so my little brother's school is having this science fair and he asked me what he should do for it. He told me the rules were it has to be with life science and he can't use vertebrates for the science fair. He also can't use mold or bacteria. So anyone of you einstein tort owner's have any idea? :D

Also he can use living things like insects :p

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
My son dissolved the shell off of eggs using 3 types of vinegar to see which would dissolve the best and quickest. It was a good one, he was the only one who had that project. It's very easy and not complicated! Good luck!

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Torty Mom said:
My son dissolved the shell off of eggs using 3 types of vinegar to see which would dissolve the best and quickest. It was a good one, he was the only one who had that project. It's very easy and not complicated! Good luck!

Oooo that seems like a good one but I don't know if it belongs in the "life science" part because I think he needs to use something that's alive. But I like that one ^_^ I will keep that in mind!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I remember one of my children, did incubating chicken eggs. We used the vinegar to show the stages of development.

Others were growing plants and how they will grow toward the light. Another we made natural dyes for eggs. Another was we made paper from different things like paper towels.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Meal worms and super worms are both easy and can be used to show the stages of development.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So no frankenstein's monster then?

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Anymore ideas? Remember it has to be life science! and no vetebrates!

dmmj said:
So no frankenstein's monster then?

Sadly no :( I was going to find a dead turtle then use electricity through a potato to bring it back to life...

jaizei said:
Meal worms and super worms are both easy and can be used to show the stages of development.

Yes but my brother doesn't have that much time to see how it grows I think it's due by the end of the week.(Friday) Besides I don't know where to buy them :( my local petsmart/petco doesn't sell them because I never found them and my other pet store (superpetz) is renovating

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
he can diagram how trees utilize water and how water flows thru them... its life science and you can find all the Diagrams you need on the net... you'd be surprized at how trees get a colom of water up so high with out the entire bottom of the tree exploding by the preassure of the water contained inside.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Zamric said:
he can diagram how trees utilize water and how water flows thru them... its life science and you can find all the Diagrams you need on the net... you'd be surprized at how trees get a colom of water up so high with out the entire bottom of the tree exploding by the preassure of the water contained inside.

Yeah but it can't just be done like that it has to be like a hypothesis, independent variable, manipulating variable etc stuff like that

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
In crickets, the rate of chirping is temperature-dependent. A classic experiment is to record crickets chirping and vary the ambient temperature. You can then plot number of chirps per minute against temperature, and you will find that at low temperatures, crickets don't chirp at all or very slowly, and they chirp faster as the temperature rises up to a point, after which their chirping slows down and eventually stops as they feel poorly or even die. Obviously, it is not necessary to subject these animals to extreme conditions. A nice gradient of temperatures from chilly to warm should to the trick.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I never did well in science class, my answer for everything was magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.