Teacher Investigated For Feeding Puppy To Snapping Turtle In Front Of Students

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Caution contains shocking information;

http://fox13now.com/2018/03/12/idaho-junior-high-teacher-accused-of-feeding-puppy-to-turtle/

David Moye
HuffPostMarch 13, 2018
A junior high science teacher in Preston, Idaho, is being investigated after he fed a puppy to a snapping turtle in front of students.

Robert Crosland reportedly fed the puppy to the turtle on March 7 after school was out. The turtle is one of a few exotic pets he keeps in his class at Preston Junior High, according to the Salt Lake City station KSTU.

It’s not clear whether the puppy was alive or dead at the time of feeding, according to East Idaho News. It’s also not clear how many students were present.

The puppy was reportedly sick and going to die, but local animal activist Jill Parrish, who filed a police report about the incident, thinks Crosland is the sick one.

“Allowing children to watch an innocent baby puppy scream because it is being fed to an animal. That is violence. That is not okay,” Parrish told the station.

Preston School District 201 Superintendent Marc Gee called the incident “a regrettable circumstance,” but noted in a press release that the event “occurred well after students had been dismissed and was not a part of any school-directed program.”

“We emphasize that at no time was the safety of students or staff compromised,” Gee added.

Robert Crosland, a junior high science teacher in Preston, Idaho, is being investigated after he reportedly fed a puppy to a snapping turtle in front of students. (Preston School District)
Robert Crosland, a junior high science teacher in Preston, Idaho, is being investigated after he reportedly fed a puppy to a snapping turtle in front of students. (Preston School District)
More
A former student told East Idaho News that Crosland was known to feed guinea pigs to snakes and snapping turtles during classroom demonstrations.

“He is a cool teacher who really brought science to life,” the former student told the News. “I loved his class because he had turtles and snakes and other cool things.”

Franklin County Sheriff David Fryar says the incident is being investigated to determine if there was a crime.

“We’re investigating the facts and turning it over to the prosecutor,” Fryar told KSTU. “He’s the one who will determine if the law has been broken.”

Reached for comment Tuesday, Fryar told HuffPost a prosecutor statement would be released by the end of the day.

Crosland is still employed by the school district and has not been placed on administrative leave.

His actions are getting support from some students’ parents, like Annette Salvesen.

“If it was a deformed puppy that was going to die anyway, Cros[land] is very much circle of life,” Salvesen told KSTU.

This article originally appeared on HuffPost.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Caution contains shocking information;

http://fox13now.com/2018/03/12/idaho-junior-high-teacher-accused-of-feeding-puppy-to-turtle/

David Moye
HuffPostMarch 13, 2018
A junior high science teacher in Preston, Idaho, is being investigated after he fed a puppy to a snapping turtle in front of students.

Robert Crosland reportedly fed the puppy to the turtle on March 7 after school was out. The turtle is one of a few exotic pets he keeps in his class at Preston Junior High, according to the Salt Lake City station KSTU.

It’s not clear whether the puppy was alive or dead at the time of feeding, according to East Idaho News. It’s also not clear how many students were present.

The puppy was reportedly sick and going to die, but local animal activist Jill Parrish, who filed a police report about the incident, thinks Crosland is the sick one.

“Allowing children to watch an innocent baby puppy scream because it is being fed to an animal. That is violence. That is not okay,” Parrish told the station.

Preston School District 201 Superintendent Marc Gee called the incident “a regrettable circumstance,” but noted in a press release that the event “occurred well after students had been dismissed and was not a part of any school-directed program.”

“We emphasize that at no time was the safety of students or staff compromised,” Gee added.

More
A former student told East Idaho News that Crosland was known to feed guinea pigs to snakes and snapping turtles during classroom demonstrations.

“He is a cool teacher who really brought science to life,” the former student told the News. “I loved his class because he had turtles and snakes and other cool things.”

Franklin County Sheriff David Fryar says the incident is being investigated to determine if there was a crime.

“We’re investigating the facts and turning it over to the prosecutor,” Fryar told KSTU. “He’s the one who will determine if the law has been broken.”

Reached for comment Tuesday, Fryar told HuffPost a prosecutor statement would be released by the end of the day.

Crosland is still employed by the school district and has not been placed on administrative leave.

His actions are getting support from some students’ parents, like Annette Salvesen.

“If it was a deformed puppy that was going to die anyway, Cros[land] is very much circle of life,” Salvesen told KSTU.

This article originally appeared on HuffPost.
Yeah I watched the story on YouTube earlier before I left for work. I get that the exotic animals he has, are meat eaters that need to be fed. There's just so much readily available feeder food you can acquire through pet stores. Seems like the frozen mice or rats you can acquire so easily at the pet store would have been a much wiser and far more humane way to feed his animals. Not quite sure what he was thinking on this one. I think while trying to educate his students, in many ways he failed them..

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's a tough one. And I AM an absolute dog and animal lover.
Let's not forget that dogs are considered food in several other countries. Like chickens, cows, etc here.
I can't stand the thought of a puppy being eaten alive Iike that. But this is mostly a "western" mentality thing. (What is and is not food)
Myself. I would have grabbed the puppy and fed the snapper the teachers hand for lunch.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Now this morning shows up;

Biology teacher Robert Crosland of Preston Junior High in Preston, Idaho is accused of feeding a puppy to a snapping turtle.
BUZZ60
The case of an Idaho science teacher allegedly feeding a live puppy to a snapping turtle in front of students at his school is creating an uproar on social media.

But it isn't the first time the use of puppies as reptile food has caused controversy. In Detroit, a similar case in 2002 ended with the firing of a Detroit animal control worker for feeding a litter of live, weeks-old puppies to a large snake, believed to be a python.

Adult Python Regius
Adult Python Regius
SAMUELNIELSEN, GETTY IMAGES/ISTOCKPHOTO
Robert Crosland, a teacher at Preston Junior High in Preston, Idaho, a small city near the Utah border, is accused of feeding a puppy to the turtle as the students watched, according to local media.

"What I have learned in the last four days is disgusting. It is sick. It is sick," animal rights activist Jill Parrish told Salt Lake City TV station KSTU.

Parrish filed a police report last week about the incident.

"Allowing children to watch an innocent baby puppy scream because it is being fed to an animal. That is violence. That is not OK," she said.

The animal reportedly was terminally ill.

In 2002, a female Detroit Animal Control worker who cared for impounded strays and pets was fired for feeding puppies to a large snake.

At the time, the Detroit animal control facility was antiquated and still used a carbon monoxide chamber to euthanize animals. Critics of the facility told the Free Press at the time that while deaths of the puppies were gruesome, being sent to the gas chamber wouldn't have been much of an alternative.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Now this morning shows up;

But it isn't the first time the use of puppies as reptile food has caused controversy. In Detroit, a similar case in 2002 ended with the firing of a Detroit animal control worker for feeding a litter of live, weeks-old puppies to a large snake, believed to be a python.

In 2002, a female Detroit Animal Control worker who cared for impounded strays and pets was fired for feeding puppies to a large snake.

At the time, the Detroit animal control facility was antiquated and still used a carbon monoxide chamber to euthanize animals. Critics of the facility told the Free Press at the time that while deaths of the puppies were gruesome, being sent to the gas chamber wouldn't have been much of an alternative.
That's even more messed up to me, being from the Detroit area. :mad:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It's a tough one. And I AM an absolute dog and animal lover.
Let's not forget that dogs are considered food in several other countries. Like chickens, cows, etc here.
I can't stand the thought of a puppy being eaten alive Iike that. But this is mostly a "western" mentality thing. (What is and is not food)
Myself. I would have grabbed the puppy and fed the snapper the teachers hand for lunch.
I appreciate your opinion and input, which seems to be a popular one. But I respectfully disagree with those who say there's no difference between feeding a rodent versus a dog to a reptile.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I see no reason for an animal being live, when offered as food.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Hey Folks,
This came in some 12 hours ago…12:pm ish Friday the 16th ;

Officials seize turtle from science teacher who fed the reptile a puppy
Tribune Media Wire
15 hours ago

http://wtvr.com/2018/03/16/official...ence-teacher-who-fed-the-reptile-a-puppy/amp/

I’m hoping the link takes you to the video. Because everyone deserves their day in, blah, blah, blah…

Preston Authorities have seized a snapping turtle from an Idaho junior high school science teacher who is currently under investigation for feeding a small puppy to the reptile.

The Idaho Department of Agriculture requested that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game remove the turtle from Robert Crosland’s possession.

“The Department of Agriculture sent an official request to the Idaho Department of Fish and Game asking us to seize the snapping turtle under the Department of Agriculture’s authority,” Regional Conservation Educator Jennifer Jackson tells EastIdahoNews.com. “Officials from the southeast region of the Department of Fish and Game took the turtle and gave it to the Department of Agriculture.”

The Department of Agriculture will determine what will happen to the turtle. Jackson did not elaborate on why Fish and Game seized the turtle.

Crosland, a teacher at Preston Junior High, has not been cited or charged with any crime. The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office conducted an investigation that was turned over to Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney Vic Pearson. Pearson said Tuesday that due to a conflict of interest, his office has enlisted the help of a 6th Judicial District prosecuting attorney.

Crosland has taught science at Preston Junior High School for years. On Monday, EastIdahoNews.com reported he was being investigated after multiple sources said he fed the puppy to a snapping turtle after school in front of students.

A mother of two of the three boys in the classroom when the feeding happened told the Preston Citizen that the story has been blown out of proportion.

“If anyone has a right to be upset, it is me,” Farahlyn Hansen told the paper. “I am not upset. I felt like it was the more humane thing for Robert to do than to just leave it (the puppy) to die…The puppy was dying.”

She also told the newspaper that the puppy had been rejected by its mother.

Many students, former students, parents and community members have contacted EastIdahoNews.com saying they support Crosland and are disappointed, even angry, that the story has been in the news.

A petition titled “We Support Crosland” had over 3,000 signatures as of 9:15 p.m. Thursday, and dozens of Facebook users have posted positive messages in favor of the science teacher.

There has been backlash against Crosland in Idaho and across the country. EastIdahoNews.com has received dozens of phone calls and messages from people furious about what the teacher did. There are online petitions calling for Crosland to be fired, and one has over 90,000 signatures.

The Idaho Humane Society has asked for a thorough investigation into the alleged mistreatment of the puppy and PETA issued a statement calling on the school district to take the incident “seriously.”

“This teacher — who is allegedly known for feeding guinea pigs to reptiles during lessons — is a bully who should not be allowed near impressionable young people,” PETA Senior Director of Cruelty Casework Stephanie Bell said in the statement. “Any youngster who witnessed cruelty in the classroom is now in desperate need of lessons about having empathy for other living beings.”

The incident has resulted in threats targeting Crosland and Preston schools. Authorities increased security Thursday after a Facebook post was created encouraging violence against Preston School District 201. The Franklin County Sheriff determined the post did not pose a credible threat, according to a letter from Superintendent Marc Gee, but officers and deputies were stationed at schools as a precaution.

Crosland is a beloved teacher who brought science to life, according to a 2000 story published in The Herald Journal.

“Cages and aquariums line the walls, and they’re not just local snakes and frogs,” the article states. “His room is so interesting even former students still visit. Ninth-graders on Preston High School’s track team sometimes end their training runs at the junior high.”

“We had a blast when we were in his class,” Jacob Linderman told the paper at the time. “When we end our runs here, this is the first place we come to see all the animals.”

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hey Folks,
This came in some 12 hours ago…12:pm ish Friday the 16th ;

Officials seize turtle from science teacher who fed the reptile a puppy
Tribune Media Wire
15 hours ago

http://wtvr.com/2018/03/16/official...ence-teacher-who-fed-the-reptile-a-puppy/amp/

I’m hoping the link takes you to the video. Because everyone deserves their day in, blah, blah, blah…

Preston Authorities have seized a snapping turtle from an Idaho junior high school science teacher who is currently under investigation for feeding a small puppy to the reptile.

The Idaho Department of Agriculture requested that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game remove the turtle from Robert Crosland’s possession.

“The Department of Agriculture sent an official request to the Idaho Department of Fish and Game asking us to seize the snapping turtle under the Department of Agriculture’s authority,” Regional Conservation Educator Jennifer Jackson tells EastIdahoNews.com. “Officials from the southeast region of the Department of Fish and Game took the turtle and gave it to the Department of Agriculture.”

The Department of Agriculture will determine what will happen to the turtle. Jackson did not elaborate on why Fish and Game seized the turtle.

Crosland, a teacher at Preston Junior High, has not been cited or charged with any crime. The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office conducted an investigation that was turned over to Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney Vic Pearson. Pearson said Tuesday that due to a conflict of interest, his office has enlisted the help of a 6th Judicial District prosecuting attorney.

Crosland has taught science at Preston Junior High School for years. On Monday, EastIdahoNews.com reported he was being investigated after multiple sources said he fed the puppy to a snapping turtle after school in front of students.

A mother of two of the three boys in the classroom when the feeding happened told the Preston Citizen that the story has been blown out of proportion.

“If anyone has a right to be upset, it is me,” Farahlyn Hansen told the paper. “I am not upset. I felt like it was the more humane thing for Robert to do than to just leave it (the puppy) to die…The puppy was dying.”

She also told the newspaper that the puppy had been rejected by its mother.

Many students, former students, parents and community members have contacted EastIdahoNews.com saying they support Crosland and are disappointed, even angry, that the story has been in the news.

A petition titled “We Support Crosland” had over 3,000 signatures as of 9:15 p.m. Thursday, and dozens of Facebook users have posted positive messages in favor of the science teacher.

There has been backlash against Crosland in Idaho and across the country. EastIdahoNews.com has received dozens of phone calls and messages from people furious about what the teacher did. There are online petitions calling for Crosland to be fired, and one has over 90,000 signatures.

The Idaho Humane Society has asked for a thorough investigation into the alleged mistreatment of the puppy and PETA issued a statement calling on the school district to take the incident “seriously.”

“This teacher — who is allegedly known for feeding guinea pigs to reptiles during lessons — is a bully who should not be allowed near impressionable young people,” PETA Senior Director of Cruelty Casework Stephanie Bell said in the statement. “Any youngster who witnessed cruelty in the classroom is now in desperate need of lessons about having empathy for other living beings.”

The incident has resulted in threats targeting Crosland and Preston schools. Authorities increased security Thursday after a Facebook post was created encouraging violence against Preston School District 201. The Franklin County Sheriff determined the post did not pose a credible threat, according to a letter from Superintendent Marc Gee, but officers and deputies were stationed at schools as a precaution.

Crosland is a beloved teacher who brought science to life, according to a 2000 story published in The Herald Journal.

“Cages and aquariums line the walls, and they’re not just local snakes and frogs,” the article states. “His room is so interesting even former students still visit. Ninth-graders on Preston High School’s track team sometimes end their training runs at the junior high.”

“We had a blast when we were in his class,” Jacob Linderman told the paper at the time. “When we end our runs here, this is the first place we come to see all the animals.”
Not surprised they seized the turtle, haha!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Another viewpoint that this issue brings up to me is the line: "'Any youngster who witnessed cruelty in the classroom is now in desperate need of lessons about having empathy for other living beings.'" No offense to those people, but our entire economy and way of life in America is not exactly established around empathy for living beings. We've destroyed so much crucial habitat for both housing and commercialization that we've forgotten the natural state of the land, e.g., much of the Detroit area before white people settled here was wetland. We've altered almost all of that land and are continuing to expand development toward the west, which would deplete the remaining wetland -- this is in no way empathetic to every other creature in the environment here. And this individual is worried about one puppy?! We have a much bigger problem here...