Levi the Leopard is going to the Science Fair!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
My 7 year old signed up for the science fair this year! We homeschool through a public charter school with about 1000 kids, so there will definitely be some good competition! He's really excited and hoping to win a ribbon :shy: :p

I helped him come up with the experiment idea. "Do tortoises have a favorite color?" Honestly, to us it's kinda silly but I wanted something that would involve a cool tortoise, be interesting for kids and easy enough for my first grader to do ON HIS OWN! (..too many parents do the work for the kids...)
I'm hoping that when the judges see he did it all himself, that'll stand out more than the elaborate parent performed experiments LOL

Anyway, back to the tortoise. We have permission to take Levi to the school and put him on the table next to the trifold board. :cool: :tort: my son is very excited!

Here's what we have so far..
0217161537.jpg

The plan is to make 5 colored boards and clip a piece of lettuce to each one. See which one he walks up to and eats from. We'll do it every day for a week, maybe 10 days and record it. Maybe we'll determine that he has a "favorite color" when he chooses to eat from a particular color? LOL

My son thinks he'll choose green because it looks like grass. Good hypothesis! I think he'll choose red but only because of what I read on here.

This should be interesting! I'll share more photos later when we begin experimenting :)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
that is awesome and i think everyone who sees it will love seeing levi is someone going to stand there and hold him on the table? lol

my money is on red orange or yellow

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
We wont test white. Just blue, red, green, orange and yellow. ;)

Levi has been to multiple events so he's used to it. :cool: hehe

And yes, I'll be at the table with my son the whole time! Not leaving Levi for one second.

Hey, naturalman, you're in Medford...you should come by for the exhibit!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Come on, pick one color:p:D

orange. lol

And yes, I'll be at the table with my son the whole time! Not leaving Levi for one second.

depending on when it is i might be able to i'm getting ready to go on a 2month vacation to my brothers wedding in Louisiana then catch up with my family in Arkansas for a while then possibly La california for a couple weeks. depending on how much time i have lol

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I vote for yellow...Or whichever board is closest! :p I'll stay tuned for the results.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

WHAT, come on, you know white will win. Tisk, tisk, I protest. :p

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I think he'll pick whichever is closest. You should change up the order of the colors.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
that is awesome and i think everyone who sees it will love seeing levi is someone going to stand there and hold him on the table? lol

my money is on red orange or yellow
Mine is on RED, meaning danger.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Day 1 of testing complete! :)

Here are the color boards. My son painted them and glued the clothespin himself.
0303161026a.jpg
(Not very scientific by grown up standards...but remember, it's first grade)

Then we got Levi out of his house and placed him in front of the color boards.
0303161027a.jpg

It felt like FOREVER while we watched Levi just bask in the sun! My son was getting impatient LOL. So, he documented that in his journal ;) but it really was only 5 or so minutes...

0303161028c.jpg

0303161035b.jpg
Finally, Levi started to move...And look what color he chose!
0303161037d.jpg

0303161037f.jpg
YELLOW!

So, it's been recorded and we'll continue testing for about a week :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Withhold food for a day between tests so Levy is more hungry. I love the picture where your son has his arm and head resting on his knee.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Withhold food for a day between tests so Levy is more hungry. I love the picture where your son has his arm and head resting on his knee.
Aw, thanks :) he's so happy to be doing this with Levi!

Levi is an eating machine these days. He lost a lot of weight when we had to stay with my MIL and her concrete only yard! He's so happy to be back on grass and weeds...And he's finally feeling dense again. Yay!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Today was the science fair!! Levi was a hit of course ;) :tort:
I am so proud of my little boy. He did amazing. My husband laughed because he was a mini version of me doing a "tortoise presentation". I guess it runs in the family :D

Btw, YELLOW WON. He tested 10x and yellow was chosen 5x. Technically 2 other times he was headed for yellow but as he got closer, he turned his head and ate the lettuce from the neighboring board because it was longer and caught his attention at the last second. If he hadn't done that, yellow would have had 7.

Here he is setting up the table..
0314161416.jpg

His table was crowded pretty much the whole time, so I didn't get a good table photo. Here another kid is already checking it out..
0314161538.jpg

Levi needs a much bigger display tub LOL
0314161421.jpg

He presented to a panel of judges first then, well, as he said it, "I have a lot of customers to talk to!"
0314161451a.jpg

He won 2nd place. He was so happy!! And I'm so proud. He did this on his own and worked really hard.

Happy kid!
0314161606a.jpg

Anyway.... Not that you all care.. LOL
But I think the tortoise science experiment was the best choice and super fun to do!