Levi the Leopard is going to the Science Fair!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Today was the science fair!! Levi was a hit of course ;) :tort:
I am so proud of my little boy. He did amazing. My husband laughed because he was a mini version of me doing a "tortoise presentation". I guess it runs in the family :D

Btw, YELLOW WON. He tested 10x and yellow was chosen 5x. Technically 2 other times he was headed for yellow but as he got closer, he turned his head and ate the lettuce from the neighboring board because it was longer and caught his attention at the last second. If he hadn't done that, yellow would have had 7.

Here he is setting up the table..
View attachment 167658

His table was crowded pretty much the whole time, so I didn't get a good table photo. Here another kid is already checking it out..
View attachment 167663

Levi needs a much bigger display tub LOL
View attachment 167659

He presented to a panel of judges first then, well, as he said it, "I have a lot of customers to talk to!"
View attachment 167661

He won 2nd place. He was so happy!! And I'm so proud. He did this on his own and worked really hard.

Happy kid!
View attachment 167665

Anyway.... Not that you all care.. LOL
But I think the tortoise science experiment was the best choice and super fun to do!

I care!! Your son is adorable and I loved his project!! If my kid enters a science fair we may have to steal his idea!! Hee hee!

Congratulations to him!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm not really certain why I chose yellow. I just had a good feeling.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Guess I should go bet on the horses or something. Let my gut choose, though it will likely pick a horse named after a baked good if the grumbling is any sign.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
My 7 year old signed up for the science fair this year! We homeschool through a public charter school with about 1000 kids, so there will definitely be some good competition! He's really excited and hoping to win a ribbon :shy: :p

I helped him come up with the experiment idea. "Do tortoises have a favorite color?" Honestly, to us it's kinda silly but I wanted something that would involve a cool tortoise, be interesting for kids and easy enough for my first grader to do ON HIS OWN! (..too many parents do the work for the kids...)
I'm hoping that when the judges see he did it all himself, that'll stand out more than the elaborate parent performed experiments LOL

Anyway, back to the tortoise. We have permission to take Levi to the school and put him on the table next to the trifold board. :cool: :tort: my son is very excited!

Here's what we have so far..
View attachment 165427

The plan is to make 5 colored boards and clip a piece of lettuce to each one. See which one he walks up to and eats from. We'll do it every day for a week, maybe 10 days and record it. Maybe we'll determine that he has a "favorite color" when he chooses to eat from a particular color? LOL

My son thinks he'll choose green because it looks like grass. Good hypothesis! I think he'll choose red but only because of what I read on here.

This should be interesting! I'll share more photos later when we begin experimenting :)
That is adorable! I love it!! So glad he scored 2nd place! Rock that scientific method, little dude!