results from the "disastrous" vet visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Well, I took Carl in, everyone ooed and awed over the cute baby tortoise. I told them he was 3 months old, they assumed that meant I had him for three months but didn't realize that the ones they sell at pet stores are practically adults. No surprise there, I guess, us teenage girls don't know anything anyways.

The vet said that his plastron does feel a little soft but that it isn't too soft to be worried, for a hatchling. If it gets worse or doesn't get better in a month, I need to bring Carl back in.

He wormed Carl, and told me he was going to give him a vitamin injection, just in case. I said no thanks to the vitamin injection, turns out he meant a vitamin D injection, so I feel like a major idiot but he could have specified. By then it was too late so no vitamin d injections for Carl.

I said disastrous in the title because A) I didn't really get anything out of the vet visit, except maybe a tiny smidgen of peace of mind and B) Carl, like all animals, went to the vet acting more hyper and hungry than even normal for him, after he was a little lethargic this morning. The vet must have thought I was nuts for worrying about him as he's sitting on the table, chewing on the stonecrop leaf I brought to keep him occupied that we devised to cover in the worming medication, which he of course ate right up. I will say that he looked down right pissed when the vet tried to put the syringe in his mouth, so I offered up the leaf, and it worked like a charm :)

Not quite so worried, but I will definitely be checking the hardness of Carl's shell a whole lot more often (maybe 5 or 6 times a day, is that too often, do you think? :rolleyes: )

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So how bad was his worm load according to his sample? Peace of mind can mean a lot. Plus Vets are use to animals behaving totally differently, when at their clinic.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I couldn't get Carl to poo, but the vet said part of his problem might be that he's got worms so he can't get the nutrients he needs through his system. He also said it's fairly common for young torts to have some worms so he gave him a very very mild dose.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Even though Carl was Captive Hatched, should we normally assume that they still have worms?

Thanks for sharing, and I hope Carl continues to do well. If you can, I would get a digital scale to monitor his weight along the way as well.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I have a cheap, non digital kitchen scale that I've been measuring with. He must have ate more than I thought today because yesterday he weighed 28 grams on my scale, and the vet's scale read 30 grams... It may just be the difference in scales, too :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Have you tried weighing him right now on your scale? Could be differences in the scale, how much fluid he retained, food he ate yesterday, the fact he did not have a bowel movement today, all those and more could cause the weight difference.

I am not a Vet, but I personally do not believe in using meds (such as the wormer) unless I know for sure I need them. :(

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Jacqui said:
Have you tried weighing him right now on your scale? Could be differences in the scale, how much fluid he retained, food he ate yesterday, the fact he did not have a bowel movement today, all those and more could cause the weight difference.

I am not a Vet, but I personally do not believe in using meds (such as the wormer) unless I know for sure I need them. :(

I haven't weighed him again, yet. He's had a pretty traumatic day and I took him straight outside to have a little relaxation time.

I agree, about the worming medication, but it was such a mild dose that the worst it could do is go through his system without killing any worms, I think.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
RE: results from the "disastrous" vet visit

My animals always act bright and active at the vet! Of course it's after I explain how lethargic they are.... Go figure :)

If anything at least it should've made you feel a bit better. Try not to obsessively feel his shell ;) ( cause I know that's what I would do) . Hope he feels better soon!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Courtney:

You did good in refusing the injection. The normal injection they give includes vitamins A, D and E. They usually don't just give D by itself. So you didn't want the A, and you didn't get it. Good job! Let him get his vitamin D from the sun.

No! Don't squeeze that poor little baby that many times a day. Just pay attention when you pick him up for other stuff if he feels squishy or not. When you pick him up to place him in front of the food, gently test his shell. When you put him in his soaking water, gently test. But mainly, leave him alone to be a tortoise.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I'm surprised the vet wormed a tort as young as yours without knowing for sure that he needed it.

Hope Carl feels better!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't say I would have wormed a young tortoise like that without a test being done. Don't check 5 or 6 times a day, once should be more than enough.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Well now I'm worried that he's gonna get sick from the worming meds :O The vet even admitted that he wasn't very familiar with hatchling torts.....

Carl's shell still feels really soft but he's been acting normal still so I will force myself not to worry too much.

Well crap, could he die from having worming medication?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
futureleopardtortoise said:
Well now I'm worried that he's gonna get sick from the worming meds :O The vet even admitted that he wasn't very familiar with hatchling torts.....

Carl's shell still feels really soft but he's been acting normal still so I will force myself not to worry too much.

Well crap, could he die from having worming medication?

No he can't, it just can upset their stomachs, and interrupt eating habits.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
phew, okay. He came home and was as hungry as ever, so I don't think it's interrupted his eating habits yet, time will tell if it upset his stomach.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
RE: results from the "disastrous" vet visit

Try to stop worrying! I think I need a Xanax just from reading your thread!!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
There was another member of the forum who has a Hermann's the same age as Carl, she described practically everything that Carl is going through, and hers didn't make it :( Just makes me really nervous. I probably won't get rid of these awful nerves until he's a yearling and out of the "quick as lightning, everything can change from perfect to disasterly" stage... They leave that stage at some point, right!? Oh geez, pass the Xanax, please

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Courtney, you've got to relax. Living through disasters before they happen is just not good for you.
I avoid the doctor for myself, and the vet for my pets. The vet is there for catastrophes, not for healthy acting and appearing pets.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
His plastron is really soft in the middle, like if I push it gently, it gives easily, but it also springs back really quickly. That's just in the middle, every other part of his shell is kind of soft but not like that....

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Sounds like a normal hatchling shell to me. They harden up over time, and the length of time that takes varies. You're doing a great job with him, just keep doing what you're doing, except the worrying part.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Phheeeww... Okay... but just to give myself even more peace of mind I am soaking him in baby food and vitamins for the next couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.