how to FORCE more variety into my tort's diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Carl likes one, sometimes two kinds of plants. He really loves stonecrop, and will eat dandelion if he isn't given any stonecrop. Other than that, he will take a few bites out of any other plant, realize it isn't stonecrop or dandelion, then walk away.

I get so worried that he's not going to eat enough that I usually just give in and give him what he wants, which I know isn't helping him.

How can I sneak in a little more variety?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chop up some stone crop and dandelion. I mean mince it super fine. Then mince and mix in 5-10% of whatever you want him to eat. Gradually up the ratio of new stuff to old stuff. If you did not feed him at all for a month, he would survive and be fine, so if he chooses to go hungry a day or two don't worry about it in the least.

Will he not eat spring mix or grocery store foods at all?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Tom said:
Chop up some stone crop and dandelion. I mean mince it super fine. Then mince and mix in 5-10% of whatever you want him to eat. Gradually up the ratio of new stuff to old stuff. If you did not feed him at all for a month, he would survive and be fine, so if he chooses to go hungry a day or two don't worry about it in the least.

Will he not eat spring mix or grocery store foods at all?

When I first got him, I was told that he was eating spring mix so that's what I started him on, he would only eat one leaf out of that, too! And for whatever reason I can only find very large quantities of spring mix in my area, so it all goes very bad before he makes a dent in it, being so small.

Carl must be like me. He finds a food he likes, and he sticks to it :)

I will try mincing it up though, that's a really good idea. Thanks!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Thanks Tom! Once again, you hit it right on. I think he must like just the smell of the stone crop, because I minced a tiny little leaf of it and mixed it really well into a pile of other various minced weeds... he ate it right up, like he does with the sedum. :D

I'm not so worried anymore, thanks again!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I assume this is stuff he is getting from an outdoor pen? With our temps here of late, you may want to bring him in for his own safety, at least for a little bit- then you can offer him a more balanced diet.

Tortoises are a lot like little kids in this respect- they will gorge on stuff that is only so-so for them when they have a chance.

If you go to any Bakers store, you can find plastic tubs of various mixes that will last OK for a week, or smaller bags of some really interesting mixes at Trader Joes.

Status
Not open for further replies.