Remote ballasted fluorescent fixture

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I cannot find any sources for fluorescent fixtures that are made for aquariums and closed systems, where the ballast is remote to the fixture. Nothing comes up on the internet when I search, and I have been looking some time now. I would love a fixture like this to keep the extra heat from the ballast out of the enclosed chamber which can overheat easily when room temperatures rise, - even with just two 65 watt basking lights.

I just saw in another thread here, where @JoesMum posted this photo suggesting the appropriate type of fixture. Do you have any information as to a source for these? I think they are more common in Europe. Thank you for any leads...

Mark

Joes Mum fluorescent remote ballast.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
They're referred to as 'lamp controllers'.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Are you referring to the one like @JoesMum pictured? I like the moisture resistant fittings the bulb connects to designed for wetter applications like aquarium hoods
I saw that type not just from the @JoesMum post, but from a few members in Europe.
It's just an illustrative picture to show the shape and difference from a CFL.

Aquarium hood types are good in closed chambers.

For an open table where the humidity is not so high pretty much a fluorescent fitting is fine. When I had Joe incarcerated due to sickness, I just used a hardware store fitting as it was cheaper

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Found this
"Electronic ballast"
From Amazon
Fish tank style remote ballast T8 florescent.
I don't know if it would have the "American" type electrical plug or not. But that could be easily swapped out.

Attachments

• 20170425_044739.jpg
    20170425_044739.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 9

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
I've been wondering the exact same thing.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Also, if its going to be securely mounted in an enclosure and theres a way to conceal/protect the wires, I would probably just get some of the water resistant sockets and remote mount a standard ballast in a junction box behind the enclosure. Most newer ballasts can be remote mounted up to ~15' (varies).

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It's just an illustrative picture to show the shape and difference from a CFL.

Aquarium hood types are good in closed chambers.

For an open table where the humidity is not so high pretty much a fluorescent fitting is fine. When I had Joe incarcerated due to sickness, I just used a hardware store fitting as it was cheaper
Thank you, but I am looking for that exact type setup as pictured for the reasons mentioned above. I feel they would be ideal for aquatic turtle tanks and enclosed chambers with high humidity and prone to heat up too much. Do you have a source for the one you picture? Would love to find one that would accept up to a 54 watt bulb.
Yes.

Arcadia has a few but IDK if they're available in the US. Exo Terra is the only one for I've ever seen somewhat available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B57J3O/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Thanks. That looks like what I am looking for, except I would like to use it on 46" bulbs. Do you know of any sources that make this type with water resistant end caps, that accept up to 54 watt tubes? Hopefully T5? They just seem to be such a perfect fit for so many applications...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you, but I am looking for that exact type setup as pictured for the reasons mentioned above. I feel they would be ideal for aquatic turtle tanks and enclosed chambers with high humidity and prone to heat up too much. Do you have a source for the one you picture? Would love to find one that would accept up to a 54 watt bulb.

Thanks. That looks like what I am looking for, except I would like to use it on 46" bulbs. Do you know of any sources that make this type with water resistant end caps, that accept up to 54 watt tubes? Hopefully T5? They just seem to be such a perfect fit for so many applications...
Now you're asking... I downloaded the pic a long time ago. Possibly Glomat? I have googled but can't find the fixture.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Looks like they're pretty much just in UK/Europe.

http://arcadia-reptile.com/new-t5-electronic-fluorescent-lighting-controller/
https://www.iquaticsonline.co.uk/t5...-x-54w-t5-complete-aquarium-lighting-kit.html

Can prob find this one in the US, but the bulbs aren't separate.

http://a.co/cddNkEL