lighting fixture question

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
well the time has come and i need a longer UVB fluorescent tube light and i was wondering if it's possible to buy any fluorescent fixture and then buy a UVB tube or if the UVB tubes are a different size then standard fluorescent tubes? Any and all answer's appreciated

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
Home Depot and Lowes sells T8 Fluorescent fixtures, but not the UVB Bulbs. Menards sell both T5 and T8 fixtures, but again no bulbs.
You don't need to spend a lot and purchase it from a pet shop and also the bulbs I found great deals on amazon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hardware store fixtures work fine and they are much cheaper. Just make sure you are buying the right fixture for your bulb size and wattage. T8 or T5HO for example.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Hardware store fixtures work fine and they are much cheaper. Just make sure you are buying the right fixture for your bulb size and wattage. T8 or T5HO for example.

the fixture will say rated for T8 or T5 on it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. They list their wattage and the size bulb they will take. And don't be afraid to look for and oder what you need from the internet too. THere is some good stuff, like fixtures with built in reflectors, available at some sites. Mikeh knows some good sites and referred me to the one where I got a few things. I can't remember the site now, but he is the guy to ask.

mikeh

5 Year Member
I believe it was 1000bulbs.com. They won't have T8 fixtures, only T5HO. Note, the full spectrum tubes found at these sites are for plants and are not reptile UVB lights, so dont get tempted:). However they are good quality source of light for arid species and can be used in conjunction with UVB specific lights.

FYI: T5 reptile UVB tubes sold in US are T5HO rated and must be paired with T5HO fixture. Standard T5 fixture sold in some hardware stores is not to be used as wattage output is different. Make sure the fixture specifically says T5HO if going with these lights.

If you provide info on the enclosure size, perhaps a photo, and species of tortoise we can guide you to the most ideal size and light.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Make sure your fixture can handle your UV's wattage! Could catch on fire, explode and harm your tort.