Reptisun Compact Fluorescent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
Hello:

I am in the process of changing from T8 Reptisun long fluorescent bulbs to T5. I came across these ReptiSun® 10.0 Compact Fluorescent http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...Qcm9kdWN0Q2F0ZWdvcnkiO3M6ODoiTGlnaHRpbmciO30= which are cheaper and do not need its own proprietary lighting fixture but can just use the dome fixtures. I know the twisty bulbs are frowned upon. I will not go cheaper and compromise the quality, though. Any thoughts?

Thank you

mikeh

5 Year Member
Besides some adverse health effects seen in some compact fluorescents, they don't provide large area of UVB. Unless the animal sit directly below the bulb it is not getting much, if any UVB. I would not even consider it.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

tignish99

5 Year Member
mikeh said:
Besides some adverse health effects seen in some compact fluorescents, they don't provide large area of UVB. Unless the animal sit directly below the bulb it is not getting much, if any UVB. I would not even consider it.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

I did not think so. I just wondered if there were some innovations on it recently because the pet stores seem to really be pushing these rather tan the long tubes.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Well retail merchants always want space economy.

Maybe tangent to your specific inquiry, T5 HO tubes can be placed in any T5 HO fixture. Indoor plant growing stores have a huge variety to chose from.

ZooMed T5 HO tubes are best priced, and bought by the case, very competative with pretty much any alternate lighting for UV option.

Will

tignish99

5 Year Member
Will said:
Well retail merchants always want space economy.

Maybe tangent to your specific inquiry, T5 HO tubes can be placed in any T5 HO fixture. Indoor plant growing stores have a huge variety to chose from.

ZooMed T5 HO tubes are best priced, and bought by the case, very competative with pretty much any alternate lighting for UV option.

Will

Unfortunately, the size of T5 tubes I need is proprietary to Zoo Med. Sigh!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you know why the twisty bulbs are frowned upon? Its because some of the time they burn reptile eyes. There are all sorts of theories about why and when, but nobody knows for sure why it happens or how to predict or prevent it.

I choose to just not use them. Why take the risk?

tignish99

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Do you know why the twisty bulbs are frowned upon? Its because some of the time they burn reptile eyes. There are all sorts of theories about why and when, but nobody knows for sure why it happens or how to predict or prevent it.

I choose to just not use them. Why take the risk?

Yes, I have heard the same.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Tignish99 wrote: "Unfortunately, the size of T5 tubes I need is proprietary to Zoo Med. Sigh!"

Please show me, with a link or image. I think you are mistaken about that T5 tube only working with a ZooMed fixture.

Will

Tom, these days some CFLs are not twisty but folded short lengths. This does not resolve all the issues with them, for me the #1 is the ballast anyways, and that is still throw away, so cheap and harmful.

Status
Not open for further replies.