Fluorescent Light Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgoodman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota, USA
Okay,

I have a tort table 6' x 3' x 1' and am looking for a light fixture for a fluorescent tube that is 36" long. I bought one at fleet farm, but realized afterwards that it doesn't have a power supply. I looked into diy, but the fixture I have is missing the ground screw and started hook up. I've looked everywhere just to find a 36" fixture with power cord.

I know I can buy one from a reptile company, but $50+ just for a fixture seems a bit steep to me. I am using it just for daylight.

Any suggestions???

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
tgoodman said:
Okay,

I have a tort table 6' x 3' x 1' and am looking for a light fixture for a fluorescent tube that is 36" long. I bought one at fleet farm, but realized afterwards that it doesn't have a power supply. I looked into diy, but the fixture I have is missing the ground screw and started hook up. I've looked everywhere just to find a 36" fixture with power cord.

I know I can buy one from a reptile company, but $50+ just for a fixture seems a bit steep to me. I am using it just for daylight.

Any suggestions???

A ground screw is easy enough to replace. What do you mean by " started hook up"?

tgoodman

5 Year Member
Minnesota, USA
jaizei said:
tgoodman said:
Okay,

Any suggestions???

A ground screw is easy enough to replace. What do you mean by " started hook up"?

Sorry, meant starter. I read somewhere that it needs a starter?

Will said:
Why must the fixture be a three foot? If your enclosure is six feet long then why not the incredible much more standard four foot? Will

Again, meant 5' long, so I want 36" instead of 48" so that there is more of a gradient.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think you mean 'ballast'. They are actually very easy to install as well.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Not all ballasts require a starter. Does your ballast have a label or part number on it?

tgoodman

5 Year Member
Minnesota, USA
Oh okay, I'll check for a number and make sure it doesn't need one! If I can wire it without one, then I'll just have to find someone who knows how to adapt it to a plug outlet.

Just thought it weird no one else ran into that problem. Most everyone on here must buy from zoo med or zilla.

tgoodman

5 Year Member
Minnesota, USA
tgoodman said:
Oh okay, I'll check for a number and make sure it doesn't need one! If I can wire it without one, then I'll just have to find someone who knows how to adapt it to a plug outlet.

Just thought it weird no one else ran into that problem. Most everyone on here must buy from zoo med or zilla.

It is a pacific ballast en 140 tp.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I don't know if you have thought of this, but if you were to invest in a t-5 light such as arcadia makes, you could provide UV as well as lighting up your table.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just go to any hardware store and buy a new fixture. They cost WAYYYYYY less than $50 including the bulb.

BTW, I like bulbs in the 5000-6500K range. The 2500K ones look yellowish to me.

tgoodman

5 Year Member
Minnesota, USA
Yes, I actually have a MVB on the way, so I don't need any more UVB right now. Otherwise, that could be an option. I am just using the tube for lighting and the one I purchased is daylight deluxe for the 6500K reason.

jaizei said:

Great! Thank you so much!!

Tom said:
Just go to any hardware store and buy a new fixture. They cost WAYYYYYY less than $50 including the bulb.

BTW, I like bulbs in the 5000-6500K range. The 2500K ones look yellowish to me.

That's what I did, but the problem is finding one that plugs into the wall outlet. Most are either wired for ceiling hangings, or under cabinet lighting and way too low of a light temp to bother with.

What I wanted was to find a pre-wired fixture with power supply to an outlet -- so far, haven't seen that at any hardware store.

Status
Not open for further replies.