Is this a decent light fixture?!!?!!

Nelocin

Location (City and/or State)
Florida

I don't know much about uvb fixtures, just that what I have now sucks. And I really want a linear light fixture THAT DOESNT BREAK BANK. I was highly considering this one here https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-36-with-bulb/ which totals at right under $80 after shipping. The H*LL?!??!??!!

So my friends, I have this one question. Is this a suitable light fixture that I can put in my guys future enclosure with a T5 desert tortoise light bulb??!?!

Please share your thoughts, steals, and different ideas.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The Home Depot looks like it would work and you could spend your loot and get the Arcadia bulb. The only difference is the reflector which maybe some shiny foil could replicate. The bigger question is how much natural sunlight does your tort get. At least a few times a week for a few hours at time outside would be plenty of sun.

Nelocin

Florida
The Home Depot looks like it would work and you could spend your loot and get the Arcadia bulb. The only difference is the reflector which maybe some shiny foil could replicate. The bigger question is how much natural sunlight does your tort get. At least a few times a week for a few hours at time outside would be plenty of sun.
I sure hope so. Cause I can get other stuff with the moneys. And he gets plenty. I just want supplementary uvb for a new enclosure. He gets natural sun and free feeds a few times a week. ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I have one of these. It comes with a grow bulb, but the Arcadia bulbs fit.

The reflector is very shiny, just like you want.

Nelocin

Florida

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Fellow Floridian
These are about $50 for the 24" from LLL REPTILES and BIG AL'S PETS
It contains both the fixture and a 5.0 tube.
Ready to use.
I own three of them.
They're very decent.

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 18

Nelocin

Florida
Fellow Floridian
These are about $50 for the 24" from LLL REPTILES and BIG AL'S PETS
It contains both the fixture and a 5.0 tube.
Ready to use.
I own three of them.
They're very decent.
Aw, man I feel some way about zoomed though. I feel played. On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate? And how long have you had them?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Aw, man I feel some way about zoomed though. I feel played. On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate? And how long have you had them?
I've had one of them about 5 months. The other two close to a year.
They're pretty impressive. Mostly aluminum. Nice switches and low profile.
I've also tested them with my UV meter, and they are spot on as far as being consistent.
These are on my Veiled Chameleons.
My Redfoot tortoises all live outdoors.
I say for $50, they are a good deal.
I have no first hand experience with an Arcadia product.

Nelocin

Florida
I've had one of them about 5 months. The other two close to a year.
They're pretty impressive. Mostly aluminum. Nice switches and low profile.
I've also tested them with my UV meter, and they are spot on as far as being consistent.
These are on my Veiled Chameleons.
My Redfoot tortoises all live outdoors.
I say for $50, they are a good deal.
I have no first hand experience with an Arcadia product.
Neither do I on that last part. I’m down to spent at least up to $50. But I’m still going to scratch my chin here on the brand. If I can find it cheaper, I‘ll take it and run. lol I figure I don’t need one too long either. Thanks for the input. ??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Neither do I on that last part. I’m down to spent at least up to $50. But I’m still going to scratch my chin here on the brand. If I can find it cheaper, I‘ll take it and run. lol I figure I don’t need one too long either. Thanks for the input. ??
The Zoo Med T8 that I used flickered and acted odd.
These T5 seem to be a whole different animal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I don't know much about uvb fixtures, just that what I have now sucks. And I really want a linear light fixture THAT DOESNT BREAK BANK. I was highly considering this one here https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-36-with-bulb/ which totals at right under $80 after shipping. The H*LL?!??!??!!

So my friends, I have this one question. Is this a suitable light fixture that I can put in my guys future enclosure with a T5 desert tortoise light bulb??!?!

Please share your thoughts, steals, and different ideas.
What species and size tortoise is this for?

If your tortoises get regular sunshine most of the year, you don't need indoor UV.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I sure hope so. Cause I can get other stuff with the moneys. And he gets plenty. I just want supplementary uvb for a new enclosure. He gets natural sun and free feeds a few times a week. ?
If your tortoise gets natural sun a few times a week your really just wasting money on Artificial, indoor UVB. It's completely unnecessary.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I believe an indoor UVB fixture should have a good reflector. You pay for the light and power so the light SHOULD go downward onto the tortoise and not anywhere else. The home depot fixture is not that great.