Redfoot Indoor Enclosure, Swedish Style !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern part of Sweden
I completed the wiring inside both of the terrariums late yesterday evening. Also put two lamp holders up in each for the night light.

Then I ran into some problem, since I started to plan how to get the cables in and out for the humidity controls and the heat controls...
I guess I just have to drill some new holes in the front panels, since some parts have to be inside, some outside and some on the front panels. A bit hard to explain, but you'll understand when you see the complete thingies later.

I consider to cover the floor with tiles actually, since the "rubber paint" is a bit sensitive and might be damaged by the bulldozers after a while. I've seen some damage inside their existing terrariums, since I've used the same technique there. So, I'll probably have to give it a couple of extra days and put tiles in too? I think it will pay back later, so there wont be any leakage just because I was too eager to get the RF family to move in too quickly?

But tonights work will involve some hard thinking about the control equipment and I also plan to put four fluorocent lights up in each terrarium.

I will take some new photos this evening, promise ! :D

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Hi,
sorry for not living up to my promise, had to go to London and work for a couple of days.

The cabelling is very time consuming and the position one have to work in, sitting inside the terrariums, is not the most comfortable :D

I've now put up two lamp holders for the night lights, and four full length fluoroscent lamps and two spray nozzels in each terrarium for the rain systems.

Terrarium16.JPG Terrarium17.JPG Terrarium18.JPG Terrarium19.JPG

I was thinking to use 2 "ordinary" fluorocent lamps in each + one 5 UVB + one 10 UVB during the winter, and turn off one of the UVB's during the summer, since they will get a whole lot of UV out in the outdoor enclosure anyway ? Suggestions and comments on this is most appreciated !!!

And finally the plexi arrived from Denmark while I was away from home ! :)

And my apologies for the low rez pictures, I didn't have my camera ready yesterday so I had to use the BlackBerry cam...

I'll be back !

Last edited by a moderator:

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Thanks John !

We've had a looong weekend here, with loads of warm weather during five days and a "grand finale" yesterday with heavy thunderstorms that cleared the air. The humidity was very high during the afternoon and the outdoor enclosure sounded more like a chicken farm :D

I spent some part of the days in the "Red Room" and put a shelf up, so I can keep all the spare parts, food and other things in order. I also worked on the control panel and put it on the wall for all the electrical stuff.

Control panel for the top terrarium

Terrarium20.JPG

Both Rain systems on the bottom shelf

Terrarium22.JPG

Termo control and humidity control for the top terrarium

Terrarium21.JPG

And yesterday I started to empty my garage on "left over tiles", and thought it might be a good idea to get use of it and get rid of it all, putting it under the floor (where it never will be seen anyway). But it will help later when cleaning up the terrariums. I will post some pictures of it later...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Geochelone_Carbonaria said:
I put the tiles in place last night !

It will all be covered with peat soon, so my lovely patterns won't be seen anyway :D

Well, it's decided. We are all bringing our suitcases and moving into your 'guest room' :D.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
wow...probably the most detailed and thought-out indoor enclosure I've ever seen. It's going to take a lot for someone to top this one!

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Im not sure anyone can top this one much less come anywhere close to it with out some help! I wish i was capable of a project but Im still learning. :D It looks great Mike!

jfb2733

5 Year Member
Claymont, DE
All I an say is wow. This is going to be the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I wouldn't be supprised if a zoo somewher doen't contact you to build them an amazing Redfoot habitat.....lol Keep up the amazing work....Julian

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Thank you everyone for all your kind words !

Yes, you're right, it will cost some money. But I had almost all of the timber already, and all the tiles and most of the rubber stuff as it was only laying around in my garage. I could almost open a small shop selling nails and screws, since my father in law is an ex carpenter. Some of the electrical stuff are things that was going to be thrown away when we rebuilt one of our computer rooms at work. But I think I've spent about $1000 so far on the rain systems, lights, humidity- and temp-controls and the plexi. I will also use some of the stuff in the present terrarium that I already have there.

And I have to admit that I am a bit handy, even though I'm just a Database Administrator :D I have actuallly renovated (is that the correct word?) three houses and built our summerhouse on my own, even if that took me ten years to complete. :rolleyes:

I've gotten many ideas from this site, thanks to all of you guys, and picked up a few things from RF books and at a reptile zoo centre here in Malmoe.

And since I like my RF's and doing carpentry and high tech stuff, this is a combination that I just love !

I consider to install web cam(s) too, so I can keep an eye on the RF's and the egg development in the incubator as well, even if I'm not home...

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I consider to install web cam(s) too, so I can keep an eye on the RF's and the egg development in the incubator as well, even if I'm not home...

That is a great idea...you might as well. I mean, you've gone THIS far. :)

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
It's coming along !

All tiles done now on both floors, including the tile joints

Terrarium27.JPG Terrarium28.JPG

So I mounted the rails for the sliding plexiglass yesterday, and tried out if the plexi fitted

Terrarium29.JPG Terrarium30.JPG

So I drilled a LOT of wholes for the ventilation in the glass and mounted some handles

Terrarium31.JPG Terrarium32.JPG

Next thing now is to mount all the heating lamps, basking lamps and night lights. Then it's time to start and fill them up with a suitable substrate and after that I have to adjust everything and test run the heating and humidity for a while...

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
It's coming along !

All tiles done now on both floors, including the tile joints

So I mounted the rails for the sliding plexiglass yesterday, and tried out if the plexi fitted

So I drilled a LOT of wholes for the ventilation in the glass and mounted some handles

Next thing now is to mount all the heating lamps, basking lamps and night lights. Then it's time to start and fill them up with a suitable substrate and after that I have to adjust everything and test run the heating and humidity for a while...

Hi
This looks great-Can't wait to see it finished and with the lucky tortoises who get to live in this.
Very impressive-what an inspiration.
Well Done

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Thanks, I now have a couple of days off (again) and my plan is to complete these tomorrow, and fill it up with peat/soil/Pine bark mulch.

I completed the heating lamps today actually (pics coming up later) and I found a very interesting half rotten tree trunk today in the horse yard that Im going to put in one of them ;)

OMG, I haven't thought of the furnishing bit at all (since I'm a man) apart from some monkey ladders that I had previously...

I'll be back ! :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks, I now have a couple of days off (again) and my plan is to complete these tomorrow, and fill it up with peat/soil/Pine bark mulch.

I completed the heating lamps today actually (pics coming up later) and I found a very interesting half rotten tree trunk today in the horse yard that Im going to put in one of them ;)

OMG, I haven't thought of the furnishing bit at all (since I'm a man) apart from some monkey ladders that I had previously...

I'll be back ! :D

Funny!(the last part)

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
At last, the two new terrariums has finally been completed, and the RF's had a moving in party during the weekend :D

Filling'em up, first with peat

Terrarium33.JPG Terrarium34.JPG

Then a thick layer with Swedish, non smelling, non toxic genuine Pine Bark Mulch

Terrarium35.JPG

The fresh water was very tasty, and so was the welcome muchrooms

Terrarium36.JPG Terrarium37.JPG

Testing out the misting system, and it looks very much appreciated

Terrarium38.JPG

The "cave" seems to be very useful for one of the females, but not so popular for this male, that have other plans for the evening... ;)

Terrarium39.JPG

And the final result wasn't that bad, was it ?

Terrarium40.JPG Terrarium41.JPG Terrarium42.JPG

That's all folks !

Have a nice summer :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.