Redfoot Indoor Enclosure, Swedish Style !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
Mike that looks fantastic! It turned out great, glad to see it finally finished. You did a great job and made a very nice tutorial along the way! :D

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
jrcrist4 said:
Mike that looks fantastic! It turned out great, glad to see it finally finished. You did a great job and made a very nice tutorial along the way! :D

Thank you John, and that was a bit of my intention too, since I was missing a "roadmap" how to do it. And also to make use of the "mistakes" that I've made and learnt from building my other two older terrariums was :

1.Build as large as you possibly can and what you have room for
2.Do not build it too low, let there be space enough for lamps and stuff above the RF's
3.Do not put in more stuff than neccessary, especially when you have large bulldozers that can move everything around ? Don't overdo it
4.Place all the stuff near the entry/exit that you need to reach often, like water, lamps etc. Keep it simple
5.And try to make the terrarium as flexible as you can. What you people don't know and can see, is that I've got drainage under the floors, so when I'm going to clean it all up, I can just take everything out and wash the terrariums with the gardening hose. And I've placed in attachments in the top, so I can put in "walls" if I need to devide the terrariums into sections for some reason in the future...
6.And most important, make plans and drawings, this is half the fun

All I miss now is some green stuff in there, but the RF's get plenty of that outside now during the summer, so that have to come later.

Good luck and thanks for viewing !

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Great enclosures, they look very settled already.
It was nice to be kept updated as you progressed with this big project.
Well Done!

Smash Rockwell

5 Year Member
Michigan
Nice to see the finished product..... One day I hope to do this, I want to go way over the top since these guys live forever! Making them comfortable is key.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Hi again folks !

I've actually started to decorate the two terrariums with some green plants during the weekend. But my worries is that if I put in a pot of some sort, the gang would make the pot tumble over in less than two seconds and then start to eat all of it in less than one ? :D

One of my ideas was to bury a very high pot in the substrate in a corner so it actually stands on the tile floor then surrounded by substrate, but high enough so that the RF's don't reach the actual plant. Then secure the whole thing in the corner with a monkey ladder, so they can't climb up there.

Another idea would be to use hanging flowerpots, both from the ceiling and from the walls.

Then the next problem, what kind of green rain forest plants should I put in there ? Non toxic for sure, but not to tasty either ? And a bonus would also be if the plants is air purifying. The RF's must have their space too, so I don't want to take up too much space either. But the more plants one use, they will help to keep up the humidity, even if I do have rain systems installed.

So for the corners, I've bought two Dracenas and for the ceiling I bought two Epipremnums. Both of these has also been identified as air filtering plants by the NASA Clean Air Study :)

Pictures comping up soon...

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Sounded like an ambitious project at the beginning, but I have to say, the end product is one of the best tortoise enclosures I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.