Red-foots and fruit: Some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Those of us who deal with Red-foots and other forest species like Hinge-backs know that field study after field study tells of our animals eating a lot of fruit... but do we always know what they mean by the term 'fruit'?

Botanically, the way the researchers use the term, it basically describes any part of a plant that contains at least one seed and some nutrients for the seed. Within the definition of 'fruit' are many groupings, nuts, berries, 'false berries', various 'compound' fruits, legumes, and more.

At the grocery store, however, we tend to define fruit by sweetness and moisture content regardless of what the structure actually is (like "this isn't a fruit! It is not sweet and tasty!").

Some things we call 'vegetables' that are really fruits include:
- Cucumbers, okra, corn and zucchini.
- Eggplants and Bell Peppers- which are actually berries, along with tomatoes and avocados.
- Squash and pumpkin are 'pepos', a category that includes the melons.
- Peas and beans are legumes, another kind of fruit.

The things that are 'really' vegetables are the other parts of the plants- leaves, stalks, bulbs, tubers, roots, etc. without seeds.

Why should we care? Because these 'new' fruits give us more options. Like most fruit, they are rich in fiber, water, vitamins and nutrients while being low in oxalic acid and other 'antinutrients'. They are also lower in sugars than more traditional fruits.

For example: people often toss in some shredded carrot to get vitamin A and other nutrients, while yellow squash or pumpkin can offer many of the same things- and be a more natural food item.

On the 'down side', they are also rather low in calcium, like most other fruits (papaya, figs, and cacti fruits are the big exceptions to this).

So, give your torts a treat and try something different for breakfast tomorrow!

NOTE: This is NOT meant to imply in any way that ALL tortoises need fruit- this is aimed mostly at Red- and Yellow-foot keepers, and hopefully is also helpful to keepers of Hinge-backs, Elongateds, and Burmese Tortoises to some degree.

NOTE 2: Inclusion in this list does mean the stuff is good to feed too much. For example, tomatoes are known to cause diarrhea in many tortoises (mine never seem bothered, though), peas are considered high in protein, etc. As in all things- moderation and variety. And remember the basics- heat, light, water, etc.

NOTE 3: Before you 'poo poo' this idea, take a look at some of the more common fruits eaten by Red-foots- mombin fruit, 'monstera' fruits, jaqura, etc. Most have tough rinds, firm and rather 'dry' flesh, and unusual flavors and textures- like the rather familiar fig- a big favorite! Nothing like the nice, juicy mangos and pineapples many of us use.

(For more info, try the Wikipedia entry for 'fruit')

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Always love your posts Madkins007 they're always so informative. You must do a lot of research on these tortoises. Thank you again and it's good to know that I can feed Dale even more stuff than he already pigs out on. :p

Bryan

10 Year Member!
IIRC they say that Tomatoes aren't very good for torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bryan said:

I don't feed them to hatchlings because of the acidity, but occasionally to adults is ok.

Yvonne

I love it when somebody else does the research for me. :D

Yvonne

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
DoctorCosmonaut said:
nuts are fruit too! lol random fact

Ahem... "Botanically, the way the researchers use the term, it basically describes any part of a plant that contains at least one seed and some nutrients for the seed. Within the definition of 'fruit' are many groupings, nuts, berries, 'false berries', various 'compound' fruits, legumes, and more."
:cool:

Bryan said:

It is often kinda funny what is not supposed to be good and why. Tomatoes are bad because they are acidic or cause diarrhea or or or...

I am pretty conservative about what I feed the younger guys, but the bigger guys love their red juicy berries. I don't do it often- and that is sort of the point of the thread- opening up more dietary options so we can rotate things like this in once in a while!

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't keep redfoots and don't usually read anything pertaining to them unless I see that Madkins007 has posted, then I know I am going to read something that is well phrased, intelligent, seriously researched and gonna teach me something. :D
Thanks ever so...:p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
maggie3fan said:
I don't keep redfoots and don't usually read anything pertaining to them unless I see that Madkins007 has posted, then I know I am going to read something that is well phrased, intelligent, seriously researched and gonna teach me something. :D
Thanks ever so...:p

:shy: Awww, shucks. Thanks, Maggie!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I'm too simple-minded to understand 95% of what Mark posts!

So I give mine a couple things.. and they must be doing O.K. because they breed and make babies! Some.. if not 'most'.. of that stuff is too expensive to feed the OVER [ was that 17 or 37? - I lost count ] "fruit-eaters" in my group! And that doesn't count the ones that never eat fruit..

36_20_1.gif

Terry K

M

Maggie Cummings

Redfoot NERD said:
I'm too simple-minded to understand 95% of what Mark posts!

So I give mine a couple things.. and they must be doing O.K. because they breed and make babies! Some.. if not 'most'.. of that stuff is too expensive to feed the OVER [ was that 17 or 37? - I lost count ] "fruit-eaters" in my group! And that doesn't count the ones that never eat fruit..

36_20_1.gif

Terry K

I don't have 37 animals, but I DO have 27 and I feed a lot of what he listed...most of what I get is free. You might try making friends with the people in the produce dept where you shop. Most times they are glad to save stuff for you. In another thread someplace here I posted pictures of the free produce I get spilling out of my refrigerator. I get more free produce then my chelonia actually eat.
Yesterday part of what I got is cantaloupe, acorn squash, yellow squash and watermelon as well as a large quantity of lettuces.
They even threw in carrot tops for my bird. All I did was make nice with them and now twice a week I go in and get free tortoise food. I love it!!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Maggie in the part of the world I live in they aren't allowed to give produce away... what nonsense huh! They box it up and throw it out back where it is picked up by the thrash collector. Welcome to small-town southeast US!

Nerd

M

Maggie Cummings

Redfoot NERD said:
Maggie in the part of the world I live in they aren't allowed to give produce away... what nonsense huh! They box it up and throw it out back where it is picked up by the thrash collector. Welcome to small-town southeast US!

Nerd

I live in a very small town in the Pacific North West and because it IS a small town is why I get free produce, I go to a small Mom and Pop grocery store, a bigger store has rules from corporate they have to follow. Isn't there a small grocery close to you that you could talk to?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I haven't wanted to ask for free stuff since I have one baby tort, but I do put in suggestions for things I'd like them to purchase. Apparently a lot of other tort owners shop at my local organic specialty store in addition to me! Some things I want however they just don't get enough requests for.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Maggie, I need you to hook me up with some connections or something! ;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Madkins007, I am always greatful the detailed research you do of Redfoots. The fruit that you listed here is this what they eat in Brazil? And if it is can you buy it here in the U.S.? I'm of course not referring to the pineapple and the mangos.

fNOTE 3: Before you 'poo poo' this idea, take a look at some of the more common fruits eaten by Red-foots- mombin fruit, 'monstera' fruits, jaqura, etc. Most have tough rinds, firm and rather 'dry' flesh, and unusual flavors and textures- like the rather familiar fig- a big favorite! Nothing like the nice, juicy mangos and pineapples many of us use.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Figs are the biggest thing they eat that you can usually find locally. I've never seen the other stuff in the real world. I've googled them to see what they are like and they are pretty odd. You might be able to get them in a specialty South American or Caribbean market

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
This is a fig:
figs.jpg

Right?
I've never seen fig before.

So, what do you do?
cut it open and feed them the center, seeds and all?
Just let them go to town on it?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I like to feed fruits as complete as possible- that way they get the rind and other elements. It also acts as an enrichment as well.

When I feed things that are roundish or have a tough rind, I break the skin first to give them a starting point- but it is fun to watch the bigger guys rip into things like whole plums and cantelopes!

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
Well, Stag is just a little guy still, so I'll probably gut the fruit and give it to him like that.

I don't know that a 2 1/2" tortoise could bust into a cantaloupe or fig by himself.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.