Red-foots and fruit: Some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Chewbecca said:
Well, Stag is just a little guy still, so I'll probably gut the fruit and give it to him like that.

I don't know that a 2 1/2" tortoise could bust into a cantaloupe or fig by himself.:D

Of course, in the wild, they always get the waiter to take care of this for them! :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Madkins007 said:
Chewbecca said:
Well, Stag is just a little guy still, so I'll probably gut the fruit and give it to him like that.

I don't know that a 2 1/2" tortoise could bust into a cantaloupe or fig by himself.:D

Of course, in the wild, they always get the waiter to take care of this for them! :)

That was a good one Madkins I was thinking the same thing. :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Seriously, my little guys sometimes struggle with plums, cantelope, watermelon, and other smooth, hard, or 'tight' skins and rinds. Like I said earlier, though, I often rip a chunk or two out of the fruit to make it easier for them, and to simulate a fallen fruit.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
Yeah, seriously. I'm serious, too.
I'll probably cut open the fruit and give him a chunk.

As I really don't see my little guy chomping through a solid piece of fruit with a thick rind of sorts.

I know, there's no nice, adoring humans out in the wild to do this for them, but mine's not in the wild.
He's in my home. With an adoring human who will cut his fruit for him while he's still a baby.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
EVER CONSIDER(?) WHEN THE FRUIT FALLS OFF OF THE TREE IT'S VERY RIPE.. SO WHEN IT HITS THE GROUND IT WILL BURST OPEN.. READY TO PERFORM THE NATURAL ACT OF "RE-SEEDING" IT'S OWN KIND! Unless of course an omnivorous reptile, etc. comes along and proceeds in eating it.......

NERD

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Chewbecca said:
I've never seen fig before.

Neither have I, and I have looked and looked. So where and when do you guys find the figs? I really want to try some, especially on my Hingebacks.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Mark you always come up with something new as a result of your "research time". Could we see the results of your 'new-improved' [ researched ] methods of caring for your redfoots please? I would think you would be happy to share with us how yours look and how long you have been keeping them.. ? (based on those findings?)

PICS PLEASE?

Thanks Brother...

Terry K

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
First off, great post!! thanks
Second that fig looks soooo delicious, I love them and we have them around where I live in certain times of year. They are pricey!!! Not sure if I would share.
And yes, the stores around here also will not give you any produce, they claim it encourages people to throw out good stuff. I did find a little store that I played nice nice too and they sometimes save me the the greens, some is better than none, I am the turtle lady.
Na

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Redfoot NERD said:
Mark you always come up with something new as a result of your "research time". Could we see the results of your 'new-improved' [ researched ] methods of caring for your redfoots please? I would think you would be happy to share with us how yours look and how long you have been keeping them.. ? (based on those findings?)

PICS PLEASE?

Thanks Brother...

Terry K

LOL! I'm not big on posting photos. I have a cheap camera and mediocre technique. I do documentary photos of my guys every month or two, but the photos ain't pretty- the torts are cute as the dickens, but the photos are nothing I want to share. One of my kids is a professional photographer and will be shooting the herd soon. I'll share those photos when I have them. I'm also not sure what the photos would show to support my research.

I've never claimed your numbers or years of experience. I started this herd coming on 4 years ago with 2, and now I have 5, two of which are yours.

You seem to be suggesting that the post or research is in error or not good for our tortoises. Could you clarify your concerns?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Redfoot NERD said:
Unless of course an omnivorous reptile, etc. comes along and proceeds in eating it.......

NERD

But, even then, Terry, the seeds pass right on through the omnivorous reptile, and get planted because of the poop!! :D

Jacqui said:
Chewbecca said:
I've never seen fig before.

Neither have I, and I have looked and looked. So where and when do you guys find the figs? I really want to try some, especially on my Hingebacks.

I bought a 5 gallon fig tree plant at Lowe's last year and it was covered with figs this year. Its not even as tall as I am. And because of another thread here on the forum I discovered I can also feed them the leaves of the fig tree!

Yvonne

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
emysemys said:
I bought a 5 gallon fig tree plant at Lowe's last year and it was covered with figs this year. Its not even as tall as I am. And because of another thread here on the forum I discovered I can also feed them the leaves of the fig tree!

Yvonne

OK, I have a real 'black thumb' and I am going to ask what is probably a stupid question: Is the Ficus tree the same thing as the Fig?

I mean, I know that the fig is technically 'Ficus carica', but if I buy a Ficus at the store, will it fruit out or do I need to look for something special?

(By the way, the Wikipedia article on figs is pretty cool- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_fig. Figs also have a key role in Raiders of the Lost Ark:) )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No...what is described as "ficus" in the plant department is more than likely a house plant. You would buy a fig tree (a member of the ficus family) in the garden shop of the home improvement store, or at a nursery. They are usually labeled as Black Fig or White Fig, not ficus.

Yvonne

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
OK, so I started feeding my herd Fig Newtons, and...

JOKING, just joking! But dang they are good!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
emysemys
old timer

RE: Red-foots and fruit: Some ideas
(09-14-2009 04:35 PM)Redfoot NERD Wrote:
Unless of course an omnivorous reptile, etc. comes along and proceeds in eating it.......

NERD

But, even then, Terry, the seeds pass right on through the omnivorous reptile, and get planted because of the poop!!

Yvonne of course the point was.. that they were talking about having to get thru the tough skin/rind so their redfoot could eat the fruit! The redfoot doesn't have to deal with "un-ripe" fruit in the wild. And besides that.. my older/adults don't care -- I 'chunk' it up ( cantaloupe ) and they eat the rinds and all!

But yes.. I'm sure part of the "seed-sowing" process is conducted by the fruit eaters!

NERD

Madkins007 said:
Redfoot NERD said:

PICS PLEASE?

Thanks Brother...

Terry K

LOL! I'm not big on posting photos. I have a cheap camera and mediocre technique. I do documentary photos of my guys every month or two, but the photos ain't pretty- the torts are cute as the dickens, but the photos are nothing I want to share. One of my kids is a professional photographer and will be shooting the herd soon. I'll share those photos when I have them. I'm also not sure what the photos would show to support my research.

I've never claimed your numbers or years of experience. I started this herd coming on 4 years ago with 2, and now I have 5, two of which are yours.

You seem to be suggesting that the post or research is in error or not good for our tortoises. Could you clarify your concerns?

When you or others do all of this research you find/uncover a multitude of "observations" that are almost deemed as "new-and-improved" ways to care for redfoot tortoises. It almost comes off as re-inventing the wheel on how to care for redfoots: add a little here.. add a little there.. a little more of this.. a little less of that.. variety, variety and variety!

And after speaking with others thru email and on the phone.. all of this is scaring those new to caring for their redfoots -- afraid they are going to do something wrong. Afraid it's going to end up looking like a 'hand-grenade' next week because it wasn't fed 17 different things that week.

I am concerned that there is seldom or ever given a reference.. to the source -- and when I ask the author [ of this new-improved 'system' ] how their redfoots look as a result(?) I get: No reply or "Don't you have anything else better to do?" or I don't have pics. If someone has a system that works they WILL document it.. otherwise it's just "empty" words.

If that isn't bad enough we have those.. that don't even keep redfoots.. giving advise to new redfoot owners. Is it any wonder there is such confusion to new tort keepers?

There are "BASICS" that have proven to produce healthy, great-looking long lived redfoot tortoises. What ever happened to "keep-it-simple"?

Don't get me wrong.. I'm always open to a real "break-thru" of new findings when it comes to caring for redfoots. I ask for the source so we all can learn as needed. [ in other words "I wanna see the end results" ]

Let's all of us give info that brings life to redfoots tortoises.. not attention to the ability to research!

Terry K

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Redfoot NERD said:
emysemys
old timer

RE: Red-foots and fruit: Some ideas
(09-14-2009 04:35 PM)Redfoot NERD Wrote:

NERD

But, even then, Terry, the seeds pass right on through the omnivorous reptile, and get planted because of the poop!!

Yvonne of course the point was.. that they were talking about having to get thru the tough skin/rind so their redfoot could eat the fruit! The redfoot doesn't have to deal with "un-ripe" fruit in the wild. And besides that.. my older/adults don't care -- I 'chunk' it up ( cantaloupe ) and they eat the rinds and all!

But yes.. I'm sure part of the "seed-sowing" process is conducted by the fruit eaters!

NERD

Madkins007 said:
Redfoot NERD said:

PICS PLEASE?

Thanks Brother...

Terry K

When you or others do all of this research you find/uncover a multitude of "observations" that are almost deemed as "new-and-improved" ways to care for redfoot tortoises. It almost comes off as re-inventing the wheel on how to care for redfoots: add a little here.. add a little there.. a little more of this.. a little less of that.. variety, variety and variety!

And after speaking with others thru email and on the phone.. all of this is scaring those new to caring for their redfoots -- afraid they are going to do something wrong. Afraid it's going to end up looking like a 'hand-grenade' next week because it wasn't fed 17 different things that week.

I am concerned that there is seldom or ever given a reference.. to the source -- and when I ask the author [ of this new-improved 'system' ] how their redfoots look as a result(?) I get: No reply or "Don't you have anything else better to do?" or I don't have pics. If someone has a system that works they WILL document it.. otherwise it's just "empty" words.

If that isn't bad enough we have those.. that don't even keep redfoots.. giving advise to new redfoot owners. Is it any wonder there is such confusion to new tort keepers?

There are "BASICS" that have proven to produce healthy, great-looking long lived redfoot tortoises. What ever happened to "keep-it-simple"?

Don't get me wrong.. I'm always open to a real "break-thru" of new findings when it comes to caring for redfoots. I ask for the source so we all can learn as needed. [ in other words "I wanna see the end results" ]

Let's all of us give info that brings life to redfoots tortoises.. not attention to the ability to research!

Terry K

I'm sorry Terry, but the real problem with you and research is that all you don't want anyone else to have the spotlight and that's all there is to you and this crap that you're writing about others on this forum. I don't really know to whom your talking about when you're saying that people like Madkins are scaring them. Maybe you should put your research somewhere else than just pictures and rude talk. You are very insulting to most of us who try to help. I myself am quite tired of it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'll probably have something said to me about this post, but let me tell you it will be worth it. You need to be nicer because the pictures of your Redfoots isn't proof enough that that's the only way to do it. I don't know if you'll understand this or not. Maybe this will help you. I've raised 4 boys and I work with children everyday, but this does not make me an expert on how they should be raised or how they should turn out. I could take all kinds of pictures of these children, but that still won't tell you if they got the right food or sunlight or playtime. Please just stop insulting those who try to help others whether they're right or wrong they're just trying because that's what we do on this forum. And if I don't like someones answer I don't have to take it to heart. Thank you for your time. :) And please stop posting that "others" don't know that they're doing I'm one of those "others" and I think I'm doing great with Dale.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Candy.. Mark asked so I answered him. Why would that insult you or anyone else?

I can only encourage you to read the real "jist" of my reply...

Terry K

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Candy said:
I'm sorry Terry, but the real problem with you and research is that all you don't want anyone else to have the spotlight and that's all there is to you and this crap that you're writing about others on this forum.

... You are very insulting to most of us who try to help. I myself am quite tired of it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'll probably have something said to me about this post, but let me tell you it will be worth it. You need to be nicer because the pictures of your Redfoots isn't proof enough that that's the only way to do it.
Candy, I for one will not be saying anything negative to you about this post. I think you conveyed the thoughts of many folks.

Now....Everybody has had a chance to respond to things that have been said, let's get back onto the subject that this thread was written about...fruit and redfoots. It had been a great thread, until it was taken way off subject and has started being a mud tossing. If anybody wishes to continue this mud sligging, please go in the PMs to each other. Even in the PMs be nice and remember that at any time the other person can choose to not respond.

Sooooo....for those who have gotten to have a fig, what do they taste like?
Madkins I was already thinking how good Fig Newtons would taste yesterday, sure didn't need a reminder this am:D.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Redfoot NERD said:
...(snip)...

Terry K

But, I gave the source. All I said in the OP was that the term 'fruit' as used by field researchers is being used in the scientific sense, and gave some examples of what that means. I cited my primary source ('fruits' in wikipedia) and I stated in the footnotes that this did not mean each food item mentioned was not automatically recommended, etc.

If people are contacting you confused by things I am writing, you are, as always, free to have them contact me directly. You already know my phone number and email address.

Getting back to fruit... quick question- my torts LOVE papaya, but it is not often carried cheaply. To give it to my torts, I just cut it up- but how does one actually eat this thing???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For the tortoises, I wash it, cut it in 4ths and feed it, seeds, skin and all. But for humans, I imagine you would peel it and clean out the seeds. I've seen papaya juice and papaya ice cream, but I've never eaten it myself. I'm more of a popcorn and ice cream kind of snacker!

Yvonne

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
I'd always cut off the stem part about 1/2" (so the stringy thing doesn't hold the seeds in and they just come right out,) cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then just hold it in my hand at eat it with a spoon. The farmer's market in Hilo on the Big Island was walking distance from college and you could get them 4 or 5 for $1, depending on how big they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.