How much fruit for your red foots?

How much fruit do you offer in your redfoot/yellowfoot's diet?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
I see a lot of posts and advice lately of people offering fruit only once a week to red foot/yellow foot tortoises. I believe this is based on old and out-dated information. When I acquired my first red foot pair, I was under a similar impression; everyone said to only offer fruit as a treat, and that such sugary, sweet foods were harmful in large amounts. Now, I offer fruit as much as 40% of the diet. Why?
Take a look at this article by tortoise trust. (A lot of people have probably already seen it.) http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/feeding_redfoots.html
As the article says, in the wild tortoises consume up to 70% of their diet in fruit during the wet season, and 40% during the dry season. It makes sense; in tropical rain forests, fruit would be in an abundance.
I believe fruit is very good to offer in large amounts (under 50%) as long as there is variety Plum, peaches, papaya, mango, melons, kiwi, passion fruit (if available) are all wonderful choices. Red-foots definitely enjoy their fruit!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a strawberry patch and a fig tree in my tortoise garden. My Cherries eat figs and strawberries all summer.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I feed Rosie fruit when I have it. I gave her strawberry twice in a row since I had two that were too soft to top the thanksgiving cheesecake and back when I was canning peaches and pears she got those every day with some greens. I feed her fruit probably once every three days, or 2-3 days in a row and then greens for the rest of the week. I usually give her the mushier fruits since I figure torts would go for fallen overripe fruits naturally.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
How about apples? Can they have that? I usually give Tyrone strawberries, black berries, peaches and banana on occasion

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Strawberries, black berries and peaches are all good choices. Banana should be fed sparingly to tortoises; apple I give to them every week or two; its not bad but not as good as the rest.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Regular pear, cactus prickly pear and pineapple are Princesse's favorite. When she realizes I'm putting down pineapple, she'll run to me with her mouth open :)

Toby's my tortoise

5 Year Member
london
This is very confusing so many people give their tortoises fruits i was told it was bad for them..my is a Horsfield russian tortoise toby
I was giving toby fruits may be 1 every 2 weeks with his hay and greens and carrot

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Toby's my tortoise said:
This is very confusing so many people give their tortoises fruits i was told it was bad for them..my is a Horsfield russian tortoise toby
I was giving toby fruits may be 1 every 2 weeks with his hay and greens and carrot

How much fruit and how often they can have it depends entirely on the species. The red foot can have more fruit in its diet.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I give about 25% fruit to my red foot. He loves mango and likes a bit of kiwi. Not keen on apple or pears. Oh yeah he likes blackberries ! :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Tyrone loves apples... Never tried pineapples ... I am going to next time I am at the store I am gonna pick one up!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I'm not sure the nutritional values of apple, but I doubt it can be bad at all as part of a varied diet. Just try to rely on the better, more nutritious fruits more. Mine love pineapple and papaya.

Toby, fruit is very bad, as far as I know, for russian tortoises. Their intestines aren't made the same way as red-foots; they can't handle the sugary, wet foods.

Just fyi for everyone, I realize afterwards I put "over 25%" and "under 50%" in the poll..I realized that after. For those who still vote, just think "over 25%" means up to 40% and under 50% is 40-50%...(oops...)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
I'm not sure the nutritional values of apple, but I doubt it can be bad at all as part of a varied diet. Just try to rely on the better, more nutritious fruits more. Mine love pineapple and papaya.

Toby, fruit is very bad, as far as I know, for russian tortoises. Their intestines aren't made the same way as red-foots; they can't handle the sugary, wet foods.

Just fyi for everyone, I realize afterwards I put "over 25%" and "under 50%" in the poll..I realized that after. For those who still vote, just think "over 25%" means up to 40% and under 50% is 40-50%...(oops...)

Thanks, I only give him about an 1/8 of an apple once a month as a treat..

Status
Not open for further replies.