Leopard diet...researching has made me think...

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I've been doing some reading and while I already knew leopards eat less grass than say, a Sulcata, I'm left wondering if all the spring mix and various grocery store greens, mazuri, edible flowers, ect... is enough for them. I know variety is key.

I'm trying to figure out what articles and studies mean by "low-lying forbs". In their natural habitat, what exactly does this translate to. They eat what is available on the ground and eat grains, seeds, and fruits. I'm going to assume by fruit they mean fallen, possibly sun dehydrating and naturally fermented fruits, because rarely would they be fresh LOL.
They also referred to leopards as garden or crop pests because they are caught nomming and probably zeroing plants to the ground. They were referred to as seed distributors so they would be eating a lot more "fruit" than we would think right? And by fruit, I'm not saying super sweet fruits but any fruiting plant, sweet or otherwise. Gourds? Squashes? Figs? Berries? Succulent flowers and fruits? And anything that's gone to seed? In addition to grasses and leaves?

And what plants, leaves, berries, seeds, and grains are in their natural habitat and how can I best mimic that?

I'm really curious because I'd like to get the most out of what I'm able to offer my Leo's.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Mine love them some cactus fruit. I get it at Kroger. I usually mix it in with their Mazuri. I too would like to know about this because I have read many different opinions when it comes to Leos. I even read an article somewhere from a guy who keeps them where they naturally occur and he feeds his all kinds of things we have been warned on here NOT to feed them. And his animals are extrordinary! Of course, it might be that his animals were all wild caught as adults? I wish I could find the article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forb

Interesting read on what a forb is. Also, not sure if this is the article you read but it is a good read:

http://eol.org/pages/794299/details

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A few points strike me here:

1. "Forbs" are basically weeds. Its a term used similarly to when we say "broadleaf weeds" here.
2. The areas where leopards occur has an astounding number of plant species. Something like 5 or 6 times what we have here. There was a presentation on this at the TTPG conference this year. I believe the number in South Africa was 22,000 species. I don't think anyone knows what percentage of those 22,000 plant species wild leopards nibble on, or what they nibble on over the course of a year, or on different years at different stages of their lives, but I bet its a lot.
3. Everything has seeds. Not just fruit. Grass and weed (or "forb") seed is a big one. There are areas in my tortoise pens that spontaneously started growing patches of bermuda grass and mallow, even though I didn't seed it there or do anything. My tortoises do poop in those areas though.
4. There are list of plants that occur in parts of Africa, and I have even seen a couple of studies indicating what some leopards eat. No harm in searching out those species and planting them all over your leopard pen. What I see lacking in your list above (first paragraph) is any weeds, leaves or succulents, all of which I think should make up the majority of the diet, as opposed to the things you mentioned.

Here is a list I typed up for sulcatas. If you leave off the emphasis on grass, there are lots of practical easy to get and grow plants listed like grape leaves, all the different types of hibiscus leaves, mulberry leaves and an number of succulents like, ice plant, jade plant, red apple, and spineless opuntia. Just look past the first few paragraphs to the list of "other stuff...". You can get these things anywhere in America. They grow easily in any climate (although some go dormant or die off in winter).
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

This is a good topic and good questions. Thank you. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think a big difference in what they eat in the wild and those same things that we can buy to feed them is the pesticides and fertilizers that is used here, that is not used in the wild. Also, some of the things that are recommended not too feed, is due to the fact it may be bad for a different type of animal, it's not known if bad for torts, so it is usually either recommended sparingly or not at all, due to the toxicity in another animal.

Now, if you can grow any of this stuff, in totally pesticide/fertilizer and even drug free (drugs fed to cows, then using cow manure) soil, then i would assume it would be safe to add these things to a varied diet more often.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Oh man, thank you all for your feedback. Excellent information!!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I'm growing grass from birdseed. I feed them the trimmings. I am working on an aloe plant. I'm also working on a small cantaloupe plant I sprouted from seed. I had a yellow squash plant but very abruptly died one day in the chamber...never figured out why.
I just started beets and a bunch of cantaloupe seeds today so I have more greens to offer. My yard is totally devoid of good weeds. I live in south Texas so I'm not sure what wild weeds I can feed because I'm not familiar with the names of very many things. We have tons and tons of prickly pear all through the woods. And lots of oak and cedar trees, that I do know LOL. The shrubs I have in my front yard aren't good tortoise food. Yvonne pointed out that a while back when I posted a picture of them. That's a bummer because they are in need if a major trimming LOL.

We are planning to move some fencing, possibly this coming spring so I need to plan what plants I need to put in areas where the tortoises will eventually have access to.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386790041.105483.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386790052.054568.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386790063.441653.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386790075.571657.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
A really great start. One thing I know about keeping tortoises, you become a more savvy gardener. Seeds take on a whole new meaning. And actually, the things that tortoises like are usually also quite beautiful and garden worthy. I have planted edibles in between and under and around other lovelies, like roses or hibiscus. Have kale and lettuces under some roses right now. I like to garden in layers, Midsummer's Night Dream, and tortoise like 'em plants are a great pallet to work with. For me, for them. : )

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Elohi said:
I'm growing grass from birdseed. I feed them the trimmings. I am working on an aloe plant. I'm also working on a small cantaloupe plant I sprouted from seed. I had a yellow squash plant but very abruptly died one day in the chamber...never figured out why.
I just started beets and a bunch of cantaloupe seeds today so I have more greens to offer. My yard is totally devoid of good weeds. I live in south Texas so I'm not sure what wild weeds I can feed because I'm not familiar with the names of very many things. We have tons and tons of prickly pear all through the woods. And lots of oak and cedar trees, that I do know LOL. The shrubs I have in my front yard aren't good tortoise food. Yvonne pointed out that a while back when I posted a picture of them. That's a bummer because they are in need if a major trimming LOL.

We are planning to move some fencing, possibly this coming spring so I need to plan what plants I need to put in areas where the tortoises will eventually have access to.

Whatever you do, if you value your Aloe pland, DO NOT plant it in their enclosure where they can get to it, lol. I planted two small ones in mine and they were gone within two days! The Sullies didn't touch theirs as far as eating it but they bull dozed it into pulp. Leos ate every bite they could see and then dug up the rest and ate that too!

It was a $10 lesson learned. I will plant them in the garden this spring though.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Saleama said:
Elohi said:

Whatever you do, if you value your Aloe pland, DO NOT plant it in their enclosure where they can get to it, lol. I planted two small ones in mine and they were gone within two days! The Sullies didn't touch theirs as far as eating it but they bull dozed it into pulp. Leos ate every bite they could see and then dug up the rest and ate that too!

It was a $10 lesson learned. I will plant them in the garden this spring though.

Hahaha good to know!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
A really great start. One thing I know about keeping tortoises, you become a more savvy gardener. Seeds take on a whole new meaning. And actually, the things that tortoises like are usually also quite beautiful and garden worthy. I have planted edibles in between and under and around other lovelies, like roses or hibiscus. Have kale and lettuces under some roses right now. I like to garden in layers, Midsummer's Night Dream, and tortoise like 'em plants are a great pallet to work with. For me, for them. : )

Look beebee!
I went hunting for live sphagnum. Didn't find any but I found these!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386810562.803718.jpg

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yay, easy to grow and good for tortoises and people. Those flowers are lovely in salads and taste kinda like mild radishes.
Did you check in the indoor garden area for the sphagnum moss? Our HD has it inside near the indoor plants. A nursery is sure to carry it, so you may try there. Hmmm, Kmart garden department, too. Yay for edible flowers for everyone! : )

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Yay, easy to grow and good for tortoises and people. Those flowers are lovely in salads and taste kinda like mild radishes.
Did you check in the indoor garden area for the sphagnum moss? Our HD has it inside near the indoor plants. A nursery is sure to carry it, so you may try there. Hmmm, Kmart garden department, too. Yay for edible flowers for everyone! : )

Yeah I searched inside and an employee showed me the dried type that I already have. They had dried sheet moss, I almost just got that since the live variety seems to be hard to find. Anyone have a link where I can get it online?

Someone mentioned that petco for a better quality dried.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
This is a great thread with lots of fantastic articles. Thanks for that E

I grew Nastrutuim (spelling may be wrong) last summer and it took Benny exactly two days to polish off the entire plant, including the roots. Just a warning lol. And it was no small plant. Probably spread about two, two and a half feet in a big fluffy looking mound of flowers and leaves. Great thing about it though, it grows like a weed and you have enough seeds in that package to plant about an acre ;)

I like the bird seed grass idea, do you buy the one for small birds or do you include the sunflower seeds? I may try this.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Sh3wulf said:

I grew Nastrutuim (spelling may be wrong) last summer and it took Benny exactly two days to polish off the entire plant, including the roots. Just a warning lol. And it was no small plant. Probably spread about two, two and a half feet in a big fluffy looking mound of flowers and leaves. Great thing about it though, it grows like a weed and you have enough seeds in that package to plant about an acre ;)

I like the bird seed grass idea, do you buy the one for small birds or do you include the sunflower seeds? I may try this.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386858968.408558.jpg
This is the bag I bought. I got it at petsmart. This particular bag didn't have any additives, some do.
The grass sprouts pretty quickly but it's not as thick as I'd like it to be. A learning process I suppose.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Elohi said:
Sh3wulf said:

This is the bag I bought. I got it at petsmart. This particular bag didn't have any additives, some do.
The grass sprouts pretty quickly but it's not as thick as I'd like it to be. A learning process I suppose.

Buy it at Home depot. It is outside in the Wild Bird seed area. You get about 10x that for about the same price. Target and Wal-Mart also sell it or you can go to feed stores and buy whole foods style. That way you can sometimes avoid the "cracked" seeds that won't grow but add weight to what you are buying. Are you still able to plant in San Antonio? We are still frozen solid here in the Dallas area. Hope to thaw today sometime.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Has anyone used ReadiGrass? First day today mixing with greens etc.. as in the uk there are zero weeds about atm.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks E. I think I'm going to try it and mix in some dandelions

mcory

What a wonderful list of plants:) I grow a lot of these things in my yard!!! Now for spring to get here so I can turn my entire yard into tortoise farming! Thank you do much for this posting!!! I'm so grateful I found you all and so is Penelope !!!