Quick question about Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Do they shed or slough skin normally or is Turtle being a naughty boy? The skin on his neck is a bit flakey and dry and I'm not sure if that is OK or not. He drinks a lot, pees a lot, eats a lot and poops a lot and is pretty active so I'm not too worried about any of that, but the flaking is puzzling. I tried to get a picture but he won't cooperate and leave his little head out long enough. It's only just started, hasn't been there for long and is minor...just wanted to check on it though. Any ideas or am I just worrying for no reason?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what type? i assume since you posted under greek geeks its a greek tortoise and not a turtle? some peeling skin is normal.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Thanks! I sort of thought it was nothing to worry about but am still new at this tortoise game :) I'm used to geckos and snakes so he throws me for a loop sometimes.
Yes, he is a Greek tortoise...I just named him Turtle :D

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Just an update and observation, he's still 'flaking' and I noticed his eyes were getting a bit puffy (not bad, barely noticeable) so I think it may be the MVB. I've put his flo light back with an incandescent bulb to test my theory. Hopefully that will correct his skin and eyes, I really just think the MVB was too bright and powerful. Nothing else but the bulb changed so I'll see what happens.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Greeks will shed. There neck and head sheds little flakes this is normal. Don't pull them off let them come off naturally. However his puffy eyes are not. It sounds like it may be your bulb especially if that is the only thing that has changed. What type and wattage MVB did you have and how far was it from the substrate?
What type of substrate?
Hopefully it will be an easy fix with the bulb changed out now.
But expect him to shed a bit even if everything is just right. :)

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Thanks Robyn.
He is on aspen and has been all along (since the sand eating episode!).
I used the T-Rex 100 watt UV active heat bulb, it was 21" above the substrate...that gave me the correct temps. I do have a UV meter and the MVB UVB level was a bit more than the flo light (12" off substrate) but it is an entirely different type of light. The readings were around 75-80 and 55, respectively.
His behavior changed a little too, some good and some curious. He came out in the morning faster, as soon as the light went on, but did not seem as overly active during the day. He would bask and then bury himself under his hide. With the regular bulb and flo light he seems to stay out and wander around more. He also seemed to drink a LOT more water than before. I also get a better temperature gradient with the bulb/flo set up as the flo does emit heat across the length of the bulb whereas the MVB was much more concentrated.
I'll keep an eye on things and go from there...I'm just a worrier from way back! lol

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Clementine_3, with a little one it is a good thing to be a bit of a worrier we seem to spot things earlier.:) ;).
Please keep us informed of Turtles progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.