question about shedding skin and scutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
i think my tortoise is growing! i've noticed small spaces in between his scutes.

he's also been shedding. just small flakes here and there on his legs, neck and arms.

how long does it take for a tortoise to shed? how much shedding is normal? do i need to put anything on his skin to help him? do regular baths help the process?
maybe any foods that help the process?

also how long does it take for a scute to heal from scratches?
when i first adopted troubles from petco, his shell was missing parts of his scutes.
it's not shell rot. its not mushy or oozing or smelly. his shell feels hard all over, and he's fairly active and eats well.

when i bathed him sometimes other pieces flaked off but now there is no more flaking, it just seems to be heeling. how can i help this process? I've used tea tree ointment on it a few times, and it helps make it smoother but i dont know if I should continue with that

any helpful advice would be good

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I believe warm water soaks are a good tool...it helps if your tort is well hydrated....:D. I do not know if there is a set time for shedding to stop as a tortoise grows constantly for years....and shell/scute damage can take months and even years to heal...some types of damage can remain as a permanent mark on the shell even once fully healed...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises are notorious for shedding skin. I'm sure none of us really understand they why's of it, however we've said for so long that its perfectly normal for them to shed skin, that we believe it. :p

Just don't pick at it.

Also the space between the scutes is where they grow. So if you see a new space, that's good news...your tortoise is eating and growing!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
All torts shed skin... as do humans. It's just that it's more visible in torts. Sometimes they look very tatty, but it rubs off naturally. From time to time they look reasonably smart, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.