Questions for people in Phoenix Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustynail777

5 Year Member
Any tips for the big heat in the coming months?
I have shady spots in the enclosure,and hiding spots.
And a terrecotta(sp) dish with water.

Its gonna pretty much be in the 100's+ for the next 3 months,just want to make sure my tort isnt miserable,or do you find your torts love the phoenix heat?

Just wanted some advice and tips from you pros out there.
Thanks in advance:D
-Mike

jcooper0311

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
ughhh! The 100s are coming. :cool:
I highly recommend yard sprinklers at least once a day. My sprinklers come on twice a day and my torties come out and sit under them the whole time they are on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not in AZ, but here in Central CA we have 100 degree days more often than not. For the desert tortoises, I just have their hiding places placed under a nice tall shade tree. If you can allow them to dig a burrow that's really the best way for them to cool down. For the rain forest tortoises I have misting systems around their yards.

Yvonne

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Mine is happy outside 24/7 It'll be out in the morning and evening and hide for the heat of the day.
It's grazing habits totally change depending on the time of year and outside temps.

Tortimer does love the sprinkler, and also summer monsoons!
When it's pouring rain I'll find him out in it every time.

I add heat to it's house in the winter.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
just have hide, make sure they always have water, and sprinklers would be good. Also check on them as much as possible that they dont get stuck anywhere, they should be fine with 100 degree weather as long as they have spots where they can get out of direct sunlight

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
they should be fine with 100 degree weather as long as they have spots where they can get out of direct sunlight

my suspicion is rustynail is more concerned when it starts hitting the 115's like it will next month.

i believe this is hotter then their native environment. Mine lived outside all last summer and was fine. I didn't find this place until october and never really thought about high temps.

rustynail777

5 Year Member
Aktech23, where does yours go to hide from the heat?,i mean even in the shade its 108 on hot days.

I thought about making a above ground den covered in dirt ,so in theory the earth above the "den" would keep it cooler.
heres a link to some ideas....

http://www.azwildlifecenter.net/Den Designs.pdf

these are for desert torts,but you get the idea.
Thanks

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
hi galileo and i live in southern calif, another hot spot in the summer, this is his first summer w/ a big yard, so im going to stack a couple of plastic kiddie pools together, fill it w/ dirt and turn it into a mud hole. im hoping itll contain the mess i know hes going to make and save the graze. like in other s.w. states were on a major water rationing and its the best idea i could come up with. smiles, spring

galileo, 6 yr old, 26 lb sulcata

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
rustynail777 said:
Aktech23, where does yours go to hide from the heat?,i mean even in the shade its 108 on hot days.

I thought about making a above ground den covered in dirt ,so in theory the earth above the "den" would keep it cooler.
heres a link to some ideas....

http://www.azwildlifecenter.net/Den Designs.pdf

these are for desert torts,but you get the idea.
Thanks

those are some cool ideas. keep in mind a sully will need more space then that, especially in the winter when it needs some heat.

Mine is currently 11" scl it's enclosure is 2x4x2, off to the side of the house in a shady area. we have alot of landscaping in the back with bushes along the block wall he'll sleep under those alot in the afternoon. or he'll sleep on the back patio next to the house with the cat. my cat loves sleeping outside all afternoon in the heat of the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.