Peter's thread

StuMac

5 Year Member
Ok cool. I'll pick up a strip this week. I also took your advice and popped some hay into her enclosure. After a 30 min soak she had something to eat then headed straight for the hay. Seems happy with it! ImageUploadedByTortForum1384360053.918072.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

StuMac

5 Year Member
Came home from shop and this is what greeted me!! Cosy!! ImageUploadedByTortForum1384366278.863813.jpg

StuMac

5 Year Member
She hasn't moved since last night, must be a right comfy spot for her. She'll be getting her soak soon, then some fresh carrot and little gem lettuce. If my toddler us in a good mood I may let her out for a wander too. Otherwise he will try to use her as transport for his Spider-Man figures!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
StuMac said:
She hasn't moved since last night, must be a right comfy spot for her. She'll be getting her soak soon, then some fresh carrot and little gem lettuce. If my toddler us in a good mood I may let her out for a wander too. Otherwise he will try to use her as transport for his Spider-Man figures!

A warm bath and food, what more could you want?

StuMac

5 Year Member
Well...the sky turned a lovely grey colour and the heavens have opened, so I would say she is perfectly sorted now! Outside is definitely not an option for the next 4-5 months!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1384446076.957509.jpg I popped this in the phot section but just wanted to share it here! Sorry....

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I just read through tis thread and enjoyed every bit of it. I love hearing about the passion that others have for their torts. Its nice to have a place to come to where everyone gets your love for your torts.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: Peter's thread

That picture is adorable!

We moved Peter into the fridge on saturday, it was soooo strange to see him so motionless. :/
Why can't it be spring yet???

Here an updated picture of his enclosure. 1385369643144.jpg

StuMac

5 Year Member
Ha ha!! That's looking great. Very seasonal! It was -3 here today. Glad peaches is indoors. Changed out her substrate to coco fibre and added some hay and she is more adventurous too, been climbing up to her penthouse for a nosy.

How is Peter settling? I would find it difficult to leave them alone to hibernate.... I'm too nosy!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I try not to check on him all the time. I will let him settle in for a few days/a week before really checking on him inside the box. Until then I'll just check the temperature and stare longingly at the fridge. :p

I am glad that she seems to be active! I'll just have to spend the next few months staring at tortoise picture on the forum. ;)

StuMac

5 Year Member
I go offshore for 2 weeks at a time.. So I'm used to just looking at the pics I have on my iPad :(
But my dad takes care of her soaks, my fiancée will feed her and change her water out, but is scared to pick her up for a soak! We didn't have a helluva lot of space for a large enclosure, so I gave her 2 levels instead. Worked a treat!

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
What kind of tortoise is peter. You guys are very lucky to have such a tortoise in your family

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
anm1221 said:
What kind of tortoise is peter. You guys are very lucky to have such a tortoise in your family

Never mind I should if noticed your thread was in the Hermanns tortoise section

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
OMG where did you get the cold frames! WHERE TELL ME! PLEASE!

peasinapod said:
Hello!

*Insert drumrolls*... There's updates!

Small things first, I bought some need seeds, I really think I might become a seed-shopaholic! :D
I bough a Centaurea mix, Marshmallow, Cichorium intybus and a Sempervivum mix, now I am really hyped for next spring!

And now to the big update:

The coldframe we ordered arrived! I expected it to arrive in 3 weeks at the earliest, but here it is. It took my dad and I about 3 hours to set up and we are really happy with the results. I am sure you all want to see some pics (and if you don't, I'll still post them ;) )

27zyzp3.jpg

The door will be closed at night, to prevent critters from entering. Furthermore I will add Plastic-strips (I don't know how to explain it, kinda like they have in some butcher shops?) to prevent the heat from escaping.

oszbjt.jpg

mn2br9.jpg

An automatic window regulator (?) is installed, I will need to adjust it in the next few days, so that it opens at the correct temperatures.

e5qqnt.jpg

At the moment it is pretty bare inside, but I will add a half log and maybe a plant or two to provide shade.

We've only had it for a few days, but I am allready really happy with it. This morning there wasn't any sunshine, but still the temperature inside was noticeable warmer than outside.

I'll try to get some temperature readings soon.

I love your cold frame! please tell me where you got them =)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: Peter's thread

I got it from: chelonium.de
I don't think that they ship outside of Germany. You probably should ve able to find somethin in your country as well. You could also just get a normal cold-frame and build the lower part yourself using wood etc. to get the height necessary for a heat-lamp. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They are the best, because I think they actually transmit some UV.
We can't get them in the US, very annoying.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Building one of this is no joke. acrylic plastic sheeting are the way to go. It emits 60% uvb and can hold the temperature quit well. Very expesive plastic. Now the framing that holds them together. We can go old fashion wood but using metal frames sounds awesome! Good project to have i might say... A 4ft x 4ft x 4ft cubicles would run you up to over $100+ already.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: RE: Peter's thread

Jlant85 said:
Building one of this is no joke. acrylic plastic sheeting are the way to go. It emits 60% uvb and can hold the temperature quit well. Very expesive plastic. Now the framing that holds them together. We can go old fashion wood but using metal frames sounds awesome! Good project to have i might say... A 4ft x 4ft x 4ft cubicles would run you up to over $100+ already.

Yup! I saw some posts on the internet where people built coldframes themselves, WAY above my capabilities. By building it yourself I meant just the lower part. Meaning a normal coldframe standing on top of a wooden or stone etc. frame with a built in door.

The material my coldframe is made out of does let UV through and I believe the panes are 16mm thick. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Or building a wood or block base, then purchasing a cold frame from a garden supply store and mounting it on top.
Still not as nice as that one, though. :/

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: RE: Peter's thread

lynnedit said:
Or building a wood or block base, then purchasing a cold frame from a garden supply store and mounting it on top.
Still not as nice as that one, though. :/

I've see some that were decorated almost mosaic-like. Verry pretty.