Exo terra water bowl has weird residue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SassyKelz

5 Year Member
Waterbowl has a weird residue?

Hey everyone, I have a question about my water dish for my baby tortoise! I have a water dish, I believe it is the Exo Terra Feeding and Water Dish and I noticed after pouring water in it, the bottom has a weird slimy residue. I wipe it with a towel or cloth and the slimy residue comes off and it comes off as a slime with a brown tint to it.

Does anyone else have this issue? This seems unsafe, should I immediately switch his water bowl? Thanks! In the picture you can see the bowl that he drinks from.

-Worried tortoise mama.

SassyKelz

5 Year Member
Hey, I noticed that my tortoises water bowl has a really weird brown tinted slimy residue on the water once filled with water. I can dump the water and wipe it out but is this bowl even safe for him? I'm thinking about purchasing something better for him but I don't know if this is common or not.

054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Waterbowl has a weird residue?

I don't know about the slim, are you cleaning the dish every day or every couple days? It might just be the water sitting too long? Try giving it a good hot water wash and rinse and then check it the next day to see if it still does it. Not sure if I would use it after a good wash if it still slims. Might be a bad finish job on it? As for the dish placement, it would be better if you lowered his dish into the substrate so he didn't have to reach over like in the pic, which to me looks like a good way to accidently flip in onto his back, to get a drink.

I merged your two threads together as only one is really needed.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I have the same dish, but I use it for feeding in my tortoises indoor enclosure. I notice too that the bottom gets kinda weird and slimy also.

Newo13

10 Year Member!
New Orleans, Louisiana
I had that kind for my snake and it got slimy. For my tortoise's water bowl I like to use a terra cotta saucer. It's easy for them to get in and out of and I've never had a slimy problem.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
It's the beginning of algae from the uv. Every dish will get it but only a few you can actually feel it due to the texture of the dish.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
The slime I am not sure but I had a bowl like that and mine did the same thing. It was the paint coming off!! Atleast thats what the pet store said.....it turned the water brown.

I get slime in my dog's water dish sometimes. Everytime I change water, I wipe the dish out now.....yuck

SassyKelz

5 Year Member

wellington said:
I don't know about the slim, are you cleaning the dish every day or every couple days? It might just be the water sitting too long? Try giving it a good hot water wash and rinse and then check it the next day to see if it still does it. Not sure if I would use it after a good wash if it still slims. Might be a bad finish job on it? As for the dish placement, it would be better if you lowered his dish into the substrate so he didn't have to reach over like in the pic, which to me looks like a good way to accidently flip in onto his back, to get a drink.

I merged your two threads together as only one is really needed.

Even when I scrub it and wash it with hot water it still becomes slimy. I do have the dish lowered into the substrate now that I have :) the picture is from awhile back. I think I might just buy a new one to be safe. Thanks! Sorry for the two threads, I posted one and it didn't appear to be posted so I made another one.

Newo13 said:
I had that kind for my snake and it got slimy. For my tortoise's water bowl I like to use a terra cotta saucer. It's easy for them to get in and out of and I've never had a slimy problem.

I might try this. I hope my local greenhouse has them because Home Depot only has one in stock which normally means there are none that I can find. :(

Newo13

10 Year Member!
New Orleans, Louisiana

SassyKelz said:
I might try this. I hope my local greenhouse has them because Home Depot only has one in stock which normally means there are none that I can find. :(

They're usually pretty easy to find. I'm sure your local greenhouse will have it. I got mine at Walmart.

SassyKelz

5 Year Member

Newo13 said:
SassyKelz said:

They're usually pretty easy to find. I'm sure your local greenhouse will have it. I got mine at Walmart.

Thanks they did! They were unfortunately a little to deep for my tortoise who is really tiny but I bought one for when he is bigger. I purchased a plastic one that looked the same and cut it to be more shallow and added a rubber rim which he liked but I cut into the side and even when I taped up the cut, it still leaked. I will go back and get another one and make sure to not mess it up! They were only $0.39 for the plastic ones :D

Newo13

10 Year Member!
New Orleans, Louisiana

SassyKelz said:
Thanks they did! They were unfortunately a little to deep for my tortoise who is really tiny but I bought one for when he is bigger. I purchased a plastic one that looked the same and cut it to be more shallow and added a rubber rim which he liked but I cut into the side and even when I taped up the cut, it still leaked. I will go back and get another one and make sure to not mess it up! They were only $0.39 for the plastic ones :D

That's good! Some people like to use the plastic ones. They must have been out of the really small terra cotta ones because my Hermanns have been using one since he was 2 months old. But if you find one that works that's all that matters!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
LOL ... Mine did the same thing. I think it could be brown algae growing, like in an aquarium. If so, it might be unsightly, but it's harmless.

Jd3

5 Year Member
It is biofilm. It happens in about 10 hours. Totally harmless. Just was daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.