Peter's thread

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Hi guys!

I've decided to start a thread where I'll post any random stuff concerning Peter! Be it a new plant in his enclosure or him doing something funny. :p

So, first post:

He was seen bathing in his waterbowl for the first time! :D
For the first ~58 years of his life in Switzerland he never had a waterbowl (but he got a lot of fruit, so I guess he got his water from there). When I finally introduced a waterbowl to his enclosure, he just seemed to ignore it. At first he would try to walk around it, even though he normally bulldozes right through everything (even the poor oregano plant, which has now a hole in the middle ;) ). After a while he started walking through it, but never seemed to linger inside it, much less drink from it. I did find some urates inside the water two or three times and started to hope. (I wasn't even sure that it was his, as some birds already used his waterdish as their pool during the hot midday hours :rolleyes: , a magpie even stole his cuttlebone once! )

Now, on a fine morning, my mom saw him chilling inside his enclosure, without a care in the world! That's a weight off my back! Maybe I'll be able to take a few pics one day.

:tort:

A good day to you all!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My torts love their water dish in the hot afternoons.

d9130271-6dec-4328-80c6-c0ec6814a4a3

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
OMG Terry, please be on the look out around that water dish!!! I see the ever elusive five toe lurking and waiting for its chance to cannon ball into the water dish.....:p

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I am away for a few days and every day I miss him more! I couldn't even say good bye to him properly, as we left the house at 6:40 in the morning and he was still asleep.... :(

Only a few more days to go!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Hi everyone!
I'm finally back from my trip and want to add something new to this thread.

This time it will be about Peter's behaviour.
Peter is quite territorial and inquisitive, even more so after we built his new enclosure.
If he sees you, even from afar, he'll come running. He'll even try to scale the walls of his enclosure to get to you. :p He's like a mini-bulldozer!

Once he gets to you he does not seem overly aggressive, he will try to nip your fingers, but maybe he associates them with food. He very rarely tries to ram, boy was I surprised when he first did that!

If you sit near him he'll try to climb on your lap or try to wedge himself underneath your legs.

He's a very confident little guy!

:rolleyes:

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I swear Peter acts like a teenager sometimes! Today I went out to bring him his mix of wild rocket, wild malvae, some clover and his favourite, plantain. He's already up and patroling his enclosure. Normally he'd murder for a bit of plantain, but today he completely ignores it. As he turns around to face me, I notice why: He pigged out on slugs before breakfast! Just like a teenager eating a bag of candy before supper. And then he wants to smear the rest of the slug-goop onto my shoes... Nope, not gonna happen. :D

Aah, but I just got to love him <3

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Peter sounds like a funny guy!! :) I love hearing you talk about him! You have a special one there!!! :)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Thank you Amy!
He sure is one of a kind. I love this forum, here I can talk about him as much as I want with other tortoise enthusiasts. My family and friends don't really get my fascination as much. Especially my sister, she thinks that tortoises are completely boring. (And THAT is my twin-sister?? We couldn't be more different :p)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I've just had another inspiration for a plant inside Peter's enclosure. I really want to plant marshmallows (Althaea officinalis) now.

And of yourse it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I want to freak people out a bit by telling him I'm feeding him marshmallows.... ;D

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Hello!

*Insert drumrolls*... There's updates!

Small things first, I bought some need seeds, I really think I might become a seed-shopaholic! :D
I bough a Centaurea mix, Marshmallow, Cichorium intybus and a Sempervivum mix, now I am really hyped for next spring!

And now to the big update:

The coldframe we ordered arrived! I expected it to arrive in 3 weeks at the earliest, but here it is. It took my dad and I about 3 hours to set up and we are really happy with the results. I am sure you all want to see some pics (and if you don't, I'll still post them ;) )

27zyzp3.jpg

The door will be closed at night, to prevent critters from entering. Furthermore I will add Plastic-strips (I don't know how to explain it, kinda like they have in some butcher shops?) to prevent the heat from escaping.

oszbjt.jpg

mn2br9.jpg

An automatic window regulator (?) is installed, I will need to adjust it in the next few days, so that it opens at the correct temperatures.

e5qqnt.jpg

At the moment it is pretty bare inside, but I will add a half log and maybe a plant or two to provide shade.

We've only had it for a few days, but I am allready really happy with it. This morning there wasn't any sunshine, but still the temperature inside was noticeable warmer than outside.

I'll try to get some temperature readings soon.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's a very nice cold frame! Looks like the top cracks open; a nice option during hot weather.
What does Peter think?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
The top will open and close depending on the inside temperature. During summer, especially the very hot parts I may even cover part of the top or remove the top completely, otherwise I may end up with a tortoise-stew.

Peter freaked out at first, he always does if anyone dares change anything major in his enclosure, now he seems to like it. He hid inside it when it rained yesterday and today I could always see him entering and leaving the coldframe. The first thing he did, when we set it up, was to poop in it... :D So I guess you can say he approves.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
2enrx9v.jpg

Though he did have some reservations while we set up the coldframe. This happened when I was gathering up cut grass. :rolleyes:

Cheeky little thing!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Can he dig under the wood perimeter? If so, you may want to put pavers around the inside edge to discourage digging out.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I was concerned about that as well at first, but I have never seen him dig, and I just asked my dad and he also never saw him do it. One side is already "blocked off" by stones and the rest is grass, with tough roots. I plan to remove some of the grass in the enclosure, but I'll keep the grass on the sides to prevent digging out.

But I plan on keeping an eye on it, thank you for your concern. :)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
He tends to nip fingers and toes, normally he doesn't break the skin, but as I was in the middle of a "sweeping"-motion I yanked my arm out of his mouth, that's why it looks that way. ;)

If you sit by him he will climb all over you and try to get on your lap, but fingers are irresistible to him. :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Peter is,what, 80 years old? Your family has been doing something right if he is still so spunky. ;)
Is that a cold frame made for tortoises? It is well designed.