petco

Meeelinda

what do you all think about Pet smart and Petco for buying a torts. I went to Pet smart just too look around and I notice how small the living space was. I wonder if they move them into a bigger spot at night? Its hard to look for a breeder in my area. Does anyone may know where i could find one in the Bay Area?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Melinda
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454810591.526545.jpg
Calf. Has a great tort group all over the state . And of course do your reach out here cause we have a lot of great people here will help you . And yes I didn't say anything about pet stores ( good or bad ) enough people will !

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I personally would never buy from them. They sell wild caught tortoises and no they don't move them to a bigger area at night. I do see the temptation of "saving" one, however as soon as you buy that one there will be another poor tortoise in that enclosure.

What species were you interested in? Many breeders are on here and they can ship you a nice healthy captive bred tortoise.

Meeelinda

Thank you both. I am doing my research still and haven't decided on what species I want yet. I read a lot today and learn a lot. Do you know by any chance if there is a forum on whats the best materials to us for my habitat? I definitely want to make a home before I buy one.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I think you will be better off picking a species and building a home suited to it. That being said a lot of people start their babies in glass aquariums or other enclosed habitats that they can keep humid.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thank you both. I am doing my research still and haven't decided on what species I want yet. I read a lot today and learn a lot. Do you know by any chance if there is a forum on whats the best materials to us for my habitat? I definitely want to make a home before I buy one.

Where are you located? Some locations are better suited for certain species than others. Especially if kept outdoors.

Also there is a section on here where many people post pics of their enclosures. For you to get ideas from.

Meeelinda

you have a good point @LaDukePhoto . @G-stars I live in the Bay Area in California. Could you give me some suggestion on which species i should look in to? I also plan to have it indoor.

Last edited by a moderator:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
To better help you choose: Do you have a yard that you can devote to an outdoor enclosure? About how much indoor space can you spare? Most tortoises will need at least 4ftx8ft as adults, some need significantly more.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Melinda and welcome, you're very sensible to research first, it is easier and less stressful for the tort if you have his home set up before he arrives.
When you decide which species you want, look up the caresheet here under Species Specific to find out what temps humidity diet and substrate etc it will need. Or, look at the caresheets first to see which tort best suits your circumstances.
Pet stores often sell inappropriate or unsafe equipment as they are driven by profit so before you spend your hard earned cash check here to see if there are better safer and cheaper options.
Torts are wandering animals so need as big a space as possible, I have seen 4 x 8 recommended as the min size of enclosure for a smallish tort.

Meeelinda

I am debating between a Russian or Leopard. I hope either are good in the Bay Area climate for indoor.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm not sure a Leopard Tortoise would be well suited to living indoors. They reach at least 40lbs in adulthood with some massive examples pushing 100lbs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
what do you all think about Pet smart and Petco for buying a torts. I went to Pet smart just too look around and I notice how small the living space was. I wonder if they move them into a bigger spot at night? Its hard to look for a breeder in my area. Does anyone may know where i could find one in the Bay Area?

You have to realize that animals in pet stores are not there to "live." They are there to be on display for sales. Pet stores don't have the room to set up proper habitats for their tortoises, and they hope to sell them before living in a small habitat affects the animal.

There's a pretty nice place in the Bay Area. I think it's called East Bay Vivarium.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Both are good choices. Just know the size differences as adults and also that Russians can be hibernated during the winter.

Meeelinda

Ill check out their size as an adult. I will be checking out East Bay Vivarium maybe next weekend. I don't plan to go anywhere today a lot of traffic because of the super bow. Thank you all for your responses. I very much appropriate it.

surfergirl

There are 2 russians in the adoption section available, not sure if they will ship though.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You have to realize that animals in pet stores are not there to "live." They are there to be on display for sales. Pet stores don't have the room to set up proper habitats for their tortoises, and they hope to sell them before living in a small habitat affects the animal.

There's a pretty nice place in the Bay Area. I think it's called East Bay Vivarium.
Yes. East Bay Vivarium is a very good store. It is in Berkeley and they are normally very well versed on their animals needs. Do a lot of captive breeding and deal with local breeders they've known for years bThey've been there for at least 30 years that I know of. Haven't been in there in quite a while but they have always been very good

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am debating between a Russian or Leopard. I hope either are good in the Bay Area climate for indoor.
I have a leopard who has to spend most of his time indoors because of our climate. He is approx 4 years of age, 11 inches long already and has his own room adapted for his needs because he is too big for a viv or table. He has an outdoor enclosure for the summer when weather permitting he can have a change of scene.
Leopards do not hibernate and need higher temps than Russians so my electricity and gas bill has tripled in the last 18 months, he costs me about £35+ to feed because weeds are not readily available in our winter. I love Lola to bits and fortunately I have the financial resources to support him, but ideally he would have a heated outdoor shed and lots of space.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
petco and petsmart are probably the worst place to buy any kind of live animals...not even the feeder fish and crickets
i only go there to buy dog toys