Petco Tortoises

jharrris

Location (City and/or State)
Greenville
We visited our local Petco (just to look at the animals, I don't buy from there) and there were two tortoises being kept in what were clearly wrong conditions. I'm sure that this is just the frustrating, sad reality of pet store reptiles but maybe saying something on here would help? Maybe someone living in Upstate SC or willing to travel would be interested in buying one or both to give a better life? Or are there any sort of rescues for tortoises? Again I know this stuff happens everywhere, just sad to see. One of them spent the whole time scratching at the glass because there's no visual barrier ☹️

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It is incredibly sad, unfortunately buying from the pet store may help the tortoises, but it dooms more to a similar fate. Only when people stop giving pet stores their money will they change their behavior. But honestly the same can be said of bad breeders. So long as people will pay, you can't stop the cycle of poor treatment.

Rescues (generally) don't buy from pet stores for that reason, also there are *so many* in need of rescuing that they get full up with ones they don't (usually) spend money on to acquire.

jharrris

Greenville
It is incredibly sad, unfortunately buying from the pet store may help the tortoises, but it dooms more to a similar fate. Only when people stop giving pet stores their money will they change their behavior. But honestly the same can be said of bad breeders. So long as people will pay, you can't stop the cycle of poor treatment.

Rescues (generally) don't buy from pet stores for that reason, also there are *so many* in need of rescuing that they get full up with ones they don't (usually) spend money on to acquire.
Makes sense. It's a terrible cycle though, because I'm sure there are people who do/want to buy them to free them but it funds the bad people more ☹️

I assume contacting them wouldn't change much either?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

The rescues wind up not having to buy them because they wind up getting them anyway when people that bought them find out they can't take care of them. Sorry about the run on sentence.🥴

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Makes sense. It's a terrible cycle though, because I'm sure there are people who do/want to buy them to free them but it funds the bad people more ☹️

I assume contacting them wouldn't change much either?

I've never found contacting them successful.

I promise you there is very little that makes a rescuer's head explode more rapidly than someone saying "I rescued them from a pet store."

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The rescues wind up not having to buy them because they wind up getting them anyway when people that bought them find out they can't take care of them. Sorry about the run on sentence.🥴
I have to say I can't judge a single person for seeing a tortoise and falling in love. I did and I did everything wrong I got my tortoise from a wrong source too. The truth is I'm glad I was able to help him even though I was ignorant of all these facts at the time. I still have him. I don't recommend it but if you do... this site can help you make a difference in the life of the tortoise..🤗

jharrris

Greenville
I have to say I can't judge a single person for seeing a tortoise and falling in love. I did and I did everything wrong I got my tortoise from a wrong source too. The truth is I'm glad I was able to help him even though I was ignorant of all these facts at the time. I still have him. I don't recommend it but if you do... this site can help you make a difference in the life of the tortoise..🤗
Just encourage people to steal them from bad sources 😜

In a tort trenchcoat

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You could try talking to the manager of the store. You didn't say if the 2 torts were in the same enclosure together. If they were, the one scratching could easily be being bullied by the other. If bullying like that continues, that tort will die.

The manager doesn't want that, so you could at least try to get them into separate enclosures.

If they aren't together, you can still try to educate him. But your approach will make or break his response. Just chat with him...don't come on strong or be on attack mode.

It's worth a try. The very worst that can happen is he'll insult you and leave.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Just encourage people to steal them from bad sources 😜

In a tort trenchcoat
I couldn't do that because I did an online ripoff for my jewel 💎 but I still have him after 17 years. I still know their name and how big of liars they are.and I have paperwork to prove it. I'll just keep enjoying him in the meantime.🐢 I'm just saying if you find yourself in that situation here's the best place to find the remedy. Ok you fell in love with a tortoise. The pet shop sold you a bunch of crap. This site can help you sort all of the misinformation out and actually not turn your tortoise over to a rescue. I actually knew a little about tortoises but really wasn't aware of the problem of wild caught. I was never online.

jharrris

Greenville
You could try talking to the manager of the store. You didn't say if the 2 torts were in the same enclosure together. If they were, the one scratching could easily be being bullied by the other. If bullying like that continues, that tort will die.

The manager doesn't want that, so you could at least try to get them into separate enclosures.

If they aren't together, you can still try to educate him. But your approach will make or break his response. Just chat with him...don't come on strong or be on attack mode.

They were kept together, yes. I'll see if I can find and contact the manager by email somehow. Thank you!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

I believe they do want real help. I've interacted with some managers and employees of pet shops locally...and they are usually receptive if I try to share info on tortoises. But they know me and I buy there regularly for my rabbit and cat.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Sadly nothing will come by contacting the managers or other employees. They have to follow what corporate makes them do. If they want to keep working they have to follow the corporate policies. Get those to change and then maybe something will be done. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Your sentence is beautiful and effective in its perfect demonstration of the ongoing situation!