Ourdoor Dandelion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasper2reds

5 Year Member
I have 2 redfoots and i just moved them to their outdoor summer home.. is it safe to plant dandelion from the lawn in their enclosure so they have something to snack on when i am at work? or can i purchase dandelion seed somewhere??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You should plant all sorts of things for them to snack on. You can try transplanting. It works for some people. Growing dandelion from seed is problematic. Many people try it, few succeed. Other plants grow very well though. Tortoisesupply.com sells a "Testudo Mix" that grows all sorts of good plants for them.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You could transplant smaller plants, but they have a very deep tap root, or buy or collect seeds. Try some clover as well. Keep germinating seeds moist and "Voila"
Kasper2reds said:
I have 2 redfoots and i just moved them to their outdoor summer home.. is it safe to plant dandelion from the lawn in their enclosure so they have something to snack on when i am at work? or can i purchase dandelion seed somewhere??

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
They grow everywhere except where you want:) But like Tom said, there are many websites where you can buy seed packets with multiple plants specifically chosen for their nutritional value.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Dandelion seeds don't like to be covered or over watered. You can try to pick the seed balls, then spread them out over soil. Press in only then water.
They take a long time to germinate.
Water occasionally, but mostly ignore them, lol.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I've had some success with transplanting. I found that getting as much root as possible helps and then take off all the leaves and plant the root add water and sun. With luck you should have about a fifty percent survival rate until the tortoise sees it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.