Plants for indoor encolsure

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
I think I might've asked this already, but I can't seem to find it on the thread.
Where are you located?
Depending on where you are, you might be able to house your Russian outdoors, at least most of the time.

I think I might've asked this already, but I can't seem to find it on the thread.
Where are you located?
Depending on where you are, you might be able to house your Russian outdoors, at least most of the time.
I'm located up in Washington. It rains a ton here, it's probably not a very good idea to keep him outside year long. How do I put in my age, gender, thingy because I'm only 13

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm located up in Washington. It rains a ton here, it's probably not a very good idea to keep him outside year long. How do I put in my age, gender, thingy because I'm only 13
Ok, very important information disclosed. Thanks for sharing your age :) We have a number of younger members on here and it's important that we know who they are!

So there is less in your control than we think because clearly you have family influencing what you are able to do and where!

Is that Washington State or Washington DC? (sorry, I'm British, so treat me gently on this one) - What are your winters like?

Ok, very important information disclosed. Thanks for sharing your age :) We have a number of younger members on here and it's important that we know who they are!

So there is less in your control than we think because clearly you have family influencing what you are able to do and where!

Is that Washington State or Washington DC? (sorry, I'm British, so treat me gently on this one) - What are your winters like?
Washington state

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Washington state
OK, so I'm going by the internet here so you will have to correct me with reality for you.

It seems the weather varies depending on where you are in the state. This is what I found
"Washington has two distinct climate zones.
Mild, humid, summer days west of the Cascades rarely rise above 26°C (79°F), and winter days seldom drop below 8°C (46°F)
while the east of the state has warm summers and cool winters.
Western Washington experiences frequent cloud cover, fog and drizzle, and the western slopes of the Cascades receive up to 508cm (200 inches) annual snowfall.
In the rain shadow east of the Cascades, the annual precipitation is only 15cm (6 inches)."

So it depends on where you are.

In winter, your tort will probably need to hibernate or be kept indoors only going out on sunny days.

You may find this thread useful as this is explains how I manage to keep my Greek outdoors in the UK for as long as possible in the year
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

OK, so I'm going by the internet here so you will have to correct me with reality for you.

It seems the weather varies depending on where you are in the state. This is what I found
"Washington has two distinct climate zones.
Mild, humid, summer days west of the Cascades rarely rise above 26°C (79°F), and winter days seldom drop below 8°C (46°F)
while the east of the state has warm summers and cool winters.
Western Washington experiences frequent cloud cover, fog and drizzle, and the western slopes of the Cascades receive up to 508cm (200 inches) annual snowfall.
In the rain shadow east of the Cascades, the annual precipitation is only 15cm (6 inches)."

So it depends on where you are.

In winter, your tort will probably need to hibernate or be kept indoors only going out on sunny days.

You may find this thread useful as this is explains how I manage to keep my Greek outdoors in the UK for as long as possible in the year
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/
We have warm summers and it's usually in the 80s sometimes even 90s last year we had a couple days in the 100s. In the winter it's absolutely freezing, probably 28 in the mornings and never rises above 42. It also rains a lot. I don't know how many inches a year but it's a lot

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I've found that wheat grass does very well especially if you grow it in a sunny window first then transplant it.

Also in high moisture chia seeds do great.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463754670.076660.jpg but i have a Redfoot, not sure what yours eats.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We have warm summers and it's usually in the 80s sometimes even 90s last year we had a couple days in the 100s. In the winter it's absolutely freezing, probably 28 in the mornings and never rises above 42. It also rains a lot. I don't know how many inches a year but it's a lot
Maybe a bit colder than us... but it sounds pretty similar. You will definitely have to over-winter indoors or hibernate your tortoise. :)

The thread I linked to earlier will be useful to you. Please take care outdoors with security. They can climb and dig, so you need to cap the edges and corners of an enclosure to prevent escape and have the sides dug down into the ground to prevent your tort digging out :)

Maybe a bit colder than us... but it sounds pretty similar. You will definitely have to over-winter indoors or hibernate your tortoise. :)

The thread I linked to earlier will be useful to you. Please take care outdoors with security. They can climb and dig, so you need to cap the edges and corners of an enclosure to prevent escape and have the sides dug down into the ground to prevent your tort digging out :)
I told my dad that building an outdoor enclosure was definitely something i wanted to do as soon as it got warmer. Im going to try and get a Terra cotta water dish thing and maybe a large enough pot for him to hide in, I also thing I'm going to buy a plant or two today and maybe a couple other things. I added another layer of coco-coir to his current enclosure and I moistened the rest of the bedding, it's probably 2"-3" deep everywhere and near his log hut 3"-4". He is really happy. He was running around in the bedding, climbing up and down his stairs, he was just having a burst of energy!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Open the thread in a browser, copy the whole URL including the http bit and paste it in here

Come on young 'un... you shouldn't need an oldie like me telling you how to do technology :D ;)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Open the thread in a browser, copy the whole URL including the http bit and paste it in here

Come on young 'un... you shouldn't need an oldie like me telling you how to do technology :D ;)
Haha it's because I use the app :p
I will log in on the website.