Plants for indoor encolsure

Hi, I have a 2×4 tortoise table with a 2×1 second story, I am very interested in growing plants in it. I have no idea how to do it and was wondering if you had any recommendations. I use 100% coconut fiber, I'm assuming I need to mix some sort of potting soil in with it. My enclosure is inside and not in direct sunlight. I also don't know what plants to grow. I can grow dandelion in summer, but I'm not positive if I can throughout the year. I would like to be able to purchase pre grown plants, or plants that have been started since I'm not great with plants. I don't live near any specific plant stores or gardening shops although, I'm sure I could find one somewhat close. I have a Wilco, a FredMeyers, a Walmart, and an Ace Hardware. If you can list some plants that I might be able to find at these places that are both safe for tortoises to eat, and good for their health. I'm not against using seeds, I'm just not sure if it will succeed. Thank-you so much for your time

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have been looking back through your past posts and you seem to have been missed by most of us for no apparent reason.

Can I suggest that you read the following guides very carefully so that you give your little Russian the very best start.

Pay particular attention to what they say about enclosure size, humidity and lighting, especially UVB, as I see you have had problems with your tort's eyes.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Baby Russian care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

When it comes to growing plants, don't attempt to grow them directly in the substrate. Grow them in pots in proper chemical-free soil or compost. Sink the pot into the substrate, so some of the pot shows above the surface. This way your plants will have the soil they need to grow and are less likely to be trampled.

When they're looking past their best, you can simply take the pot out and replace with another.

The trick is to have more plants growing on your windowsill. You can then rotate the plants returning the ones from the enclosure to the windowsill to recover... always assuming that they haven't been eaten to the ground.

Thanks I've had my Tortoise for 3 years now. He started out terribly, in a 30 gal. Tall aquarium eating a single piece of romaine lettuce a day *cringe. I realized that that was not ok. Now he lives in a large tortoise table and I'm looking to give him a better diet and more places to explore. I feed him a mix of kale, red leaf, green leaf, radichio, endive, and when I can get it, escarole. I just can't seem to find the good stuff- believe me I am constantly looking for it. He is a pet store tortoise so his shell has some minor defects, they were like that when I got him. I have pictures and more information on my instagram account, @simeonandpaisley. I don't know how to upload pictures to tortoise forum thanks for replying

sammy33

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have been looking back through your past posts and you seem to have been missed by most of us for no apparent reason.

Can I suggest that you read the following guides very carefully so that you give your little Russian the very best start.

Pay particular attention to what they say about enclosure size, humidity and lighting, especially UVB, as I see you have had problems with your tort's eyes.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Baby Russian care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

When it comes to growing plants, don't attempt to grow them directly in the substrate. Grow them in pots in proper chemical-free soil or compost. Sink the pot into the substrate, so some of the pot shows above the surface. This way your plants will have the soil they need to grow and are less likely to be trampled.

When they're looking past their best, you can simply take the pot out and replace with another.

The trick is to have more plants growing on your windowsill. You can then rotate the plants returning the ones from the enclosure to the windowsill to recover... always assuming that they haven't been eaten to the ground.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Try this lot. You must be able to get some of these

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

sammy33

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463694115.020736.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463694202.544717.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463694258.865028.jpg
Hi we have tried ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463694382.393800.jpg
Hi we have tried several plants n lots of jigging with indoor enclosure since getting Munro from rescue centre in October with varying success. Found best to rotate/rest plants/trays or try hanging trailing plants somewhere that can't be stopped. At the moment we have aloe Vera, spider plants, viola growing outside his cage but also accessible to Munro from inside. We have a much better selection in his outside enclosure & still learning.

sammy33

Sorry should have said stomped on, don't you just love predictive text

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
While your enclosure looks very wonderful and well-thought out. Russians are active tortoises. Their minimum enclosure requirements are 8'x4'.
I know that's a huge bummer to hear. I really do think your enclosure is beautiful though!

While your enclosure looks very wonderful and well-thought out. Russians are active tortoises. Their minimum enclosure requirements are 8'x4'.
I know that's a huge bummer to hear. I really do think your enclosure is beautiful though!
I cant go any bigger my room is only 10'×10'... All I can do is allow him more time free ranging in my bedroom. I can give him up to 3 hours a day of time in my room, or outside. I want to, but I truly cannot go bigger, if I could I would have already done it.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Letting your tort roam the house isn't very safe. There have been way too many horror stories on here of people who let their tort roam around (even when they were 100% convinced that their house/room was safe from anything) and their tort ate something or got injured or got sick from it.
The floors of houses are much colder than we think, so it's easy for a tort to get sick from that. And there are minuscule things that we don't see or think a tortoise would find interesting, but they do and they'll eat it. That can cause impact problems, etc.

Probably the best thing you could do is create a safe outdoor enclosure for your tortoise. It's okay if your tort has to come in at night to sleep, but he should definitely be spending time outside. If it's warm enough of course.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Plants in any tortoise enclosure get stomped. That's just how it is.

I have 3 types of plant in my garden
- edible, but recovers
- stomped, but recovers
- big enough to force Joe to walk round

The other 2 types
- edible, but eaten to the ground
- stomped to a mush
are written off as not worth having in the first place.

Indoors, plants don't last as well as those outdoors. The stomped ones in your pic are growing in the substrate.

A few tips
• Don't plant them directly in the substrate
• Do grow them on pots
• Do sink the pot into the substrate
• Do leave an inch or so of pot showing above the substrate

By having the pot level above the substrate, your tort can't stomp it, but can still hide under it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I saw apple in one of those pictures.

You may know this already, but I just wanted to give you the heads up that your tort can't digest sugars properly; it causes kidney problems.

Fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should all be fed only very occasionally

sammy33

Hi it is the same enclosure & tortoise we have tried different materials n jigged it around to see what worked best for temps access etc. It was a slice of apple my less knowledgable hubby offered, was removed thanks.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hi it is the same enclosure & tortoise we have tried different materials n jigged it around to see what worked best for temps access etc. It was a slice of apple my less knowledgable hubby offered, was removed thanks.

I'm pretty sure Sara was asking if your photos were of the OPs enclosure or not - which I gather they were not.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Those are pictures of Sammy and his enclosure. My enclosure is a tortoise table. I don't know how to post pictures on tortoise forum but I have pictures of it on my instagram, @simeonandpaisley

You're still using this table? https://instagram.com/p/BCtjyVZOKpy/

That's quite small for an adult Russian (although it has the right elements in it - I love the photos of your tortoise half buried in the coir under the log). I saw you had some pictures outdoors - is the outdoor enclosure used much?

You're still using this table? https://instagram.com/p/BCtjyVZOKpy/

That's quite small for an adult Russian (although it has the right elements in it - I love the photos of your tortoise half buried in the coir under the log). I saw you had some pictures outdoors - is the outdoor enclosure used much?
Yes, I do still use this table. Right now he does not have an outdoor enclosure, I just go outside and stand near him when he is exploring (I put the dog inside). I can't go any larger for the indoor enclosure. It's 10 square feet. I asked my dad and he said we could build an outdoor enclosure as soon as the weather got warmer. It's only warm here for 1/4 of the year, that's better that nothing...