Safe Wood for Outdoor?

I want to build an ourdoor enclosure for my soon to be redfoot to move into eventually. I want to make it kind of like a really big tortoise table but with wheels attached to the legs so I can wheel it back into my porch during cold months. I want to build a box on the end of it and add insulation and a ceramic heat emitter for when it is cold so my question if which wood would be safe to use? I am afraid that the head emitter would head up the pressure treated or pine wood and cause it to give off harmful fumes, would this be something to worry about?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have used plain old pine or fir boards for my tort tables in the tortoise sheds. Outdoor plywood too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use pressure treated lumber in all of my pens...With weather resistant deck screws.
I've never had an issue. Arsenic is no longer used in wood and In my years of using it, I fell comfortable with it 100%.
I'm also in Florida. The wood will swell and shrink a little over time. Just assemble it with the smallest of gaps to allow room to swell when the rains come in a month or two.
Keep in mind that Redfoot LOVE it when it rains.

That's good to hear thanks ZEROPILOT! I was a little worried about all the rain we get here. Does it turn their enclosure into a muddy mess?? Or flood it with water?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Neither as long as you don't build on a spot that turns into a pond when it rains.
My enclosure (Only 1 now) is raised up on several inches of soil and mulch and the sleeping quarters are all even higher.

Attachments

• 20151119_152717.jpg
    20151119_152717.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 20160311_162637.jpg
    20160311_162637.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 28
Oh that looks really nice! I really like the giant pot! I wonder if the water situation would be different for me since I wanted to build the enclosure off of the ground. I was afraid that if I build the enclosure on the ground the armadillos would dig a hole into the enclosure and my tortoise would escape. They dig holes under every fence we have in the backyard.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh that looks really nice! I really like the giant pot! I wonder if the water situation would be different for me since I wanted to build the enclosure off of the ground. I was afraid that if I build the enclosure on the ground the armadillos would dig a hole into the enclosure and my tortoise would escape. They dig holes under every fence we have in the backyard.
Are you fond of the Armadillos?
Trap them and release them. Without mentioning it to anyone.
In case there are legal issues with trapping them.

Haha no we aren't too fond of them. They make holes and dig up my backyard! I never even thought about trapping them and releasing them somewhere better.