New Russian Tortoise Owner

zoe98love

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello, my name's Zoe and I recently became the owner to a Russian tortoise. It's quite young...I'm not sure of its exact age, and while I think it might be too young to sex, it could possibly be a male. I actually took a risk and bought it off the website Turtle Source, but it arrived perfectly healthy and its been active and curious of its new home. :)

Most of my concerns are about having to keep it inside...I live in Pennsylvania, so it won't start getting warm enough here for it to be allowed out until May or June. For now, I keep it indoors in a table with an MVB bulb, and a ceramic heater for nighttime. Another concern would be keeping enough humidity for the little guy. I would love some suggestions about how to keep good amounts of humidity in a tort table. I do have a hide for it, but it doesn't like to use it and simply prefers to bury down into the substrate...I do regularly check the substrate and make sure it's nice and moist. I use a combination of sphagnum moss, cypress mulch, and plantation soil, and haven't had any problem with it.

I keep its diet consisted of a lot of greens, including romaine lettuce, kale, and some other foods, like small carrots. I do plan to feed it more weeds and such once the weather warms up. While it won't gnaw on it whole, it does like cuttlebone when I break it into little pieces and place it in its feed dish. I soak it every other day in baby warm water, which gives me the chance to look it over and make sure nothing's wrong.

While I keep the tortoise separate from other pets in my house, I do have one cat that sometimes gets in...but she is never allowed in when I'm not there and so far hasn't done anything wrong. She just likes to watch the tort crawl around from a distance.

I've already fallen in love with my new tort and want to provide it with the best conditions possible to my ability. :) If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thank you for reading!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome Zoe

Take a look through the enclosures section on this forum. There are all kinds of ideas for enclosures, from large covered totes, to plastic christmas storage bins, to bookcases on their backs, to indoor greenhouses. I'd suggest look through those postings and pictures, turn on your creative juices, see what you have, see what you can get from CraigsList, or HomeDepot or Lowes, and make your tort a good enclosure! Welcome n good luck!

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Welcome to the forum! I also ordered from the Turtle Source and it's been nearly a year and they're doing very well. I have a mostly closed chamber that I created from a Christmas tree storage bin. It stays very humid due to the closed chambers and layers of moist substrate. :)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
You can make your own Fogger from a Crane humidifier. It's very quiet, they sell them at target. Then buy vinyl tubing from Home Depot.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417911178.086696.jpg

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
Thank you for all your help!
One thing I forgot to add, does anyone have any idea about how much a juvenile should be fed? I've gotten plenty of advice on how much to feed an adult, but not so much when concerning babies. At the moment I feed him every morning and give him about as much as he'll consume in 20-30 minutes. I just want to make sure he's not being overfed.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Zoe welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russian tortoises Rule . Have a great tort day !

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
zoe98love, if he/she is a youngster, then she can have as much as she wants. Just leave a small pile of weeds/greens and mist it. You can replenish it later in the day.
Be sure to soak him/her every day up to one year old, they dehydrate fairly easily.

I have a 6 month old Russian tortoise hatchling, and that is what I do. She is growing at a reasonable rate.

Have you heard of the TNT powdered supplement from Carolina Pet Supply? It is made up of ground up weeds and greens, high in calcium and is especially nice to give in the winter when weeds are hard to find. It is very safe.
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=58

Tom has a great care sheet at the beginning of the Russian tortoise section.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Zoe!

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
Here are some pictures of the little guy and his current enclosure:

~

~

I included a picture of its tail in case anyone has an idea of what gender it is. I think it might be too young still.

~

This is its enclosure as of this morning:) let me know if I should change or add anything. It doesn't like its cool side very much...the farthest it'll travel is the cuttlebone. It also won't use its humid hide; it's dug itself out a little burrow under the rock closest to the bottom of the picture.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Me neither. Try putting the photos on your desktop. Then click on 'Upload a File' on the lower right of the post and go to desktop and open the pic(s) you want. You will have the option to add it/them to your post as a thumbnail (takes up less room) or as a full image.
My hatchling is in a 40 gal aquarium right now to help maintain humidity. Of course she will go into a tortoise table when she gets bigger. (and outside).
You can see the pile of moss in the front R hand corner, and the humid hide off to the left. :)

IMG_1392.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw...it's just a itty, bitty baby! You won't know what sex it is until he gets a bit bigger. Maybe a year or two more.

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the tips about keeping the humidity up! I'll definitely try some, and if worse comes to worse, I have a humidifier machine I can use to help moisten the air:) I'm hoping to bring the little guy to the vet in the next week...just for a check up