new owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracey m

5 Year Member
hi I'm Tracey and I found a baby DT in my backyard of my new house in Tucson, Arizona. I want to keep him/her but not sure if its going to live. When I first found it, he looked as if he was sheding but now his eyes wont open and he is very soft. I made a home for him in the backyard plenty of sun and shade. I offer him hibiscus dandelions romaine mustard green alfalfa etc. But he doesn't seem to be getting better. Should I contact a vet or is there something I can do. Really worried owner

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tracy:

Bring him in the house and set him up in an aquarium or plastic bin. Then put him into a little bowl of warm water to soak and rehydrate.

Baby tortoises are a little bit soft, but it sounds like your baby has been on his own and not eating for a while. Soaking will get his eyes opened, and once he can see, he may start eating again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think it is way to hot there for a baby to be living in an artificial above ground enclosure. I agree with Yvonne. Bring him in and give him a temperature gradient by putting a heat lamp over one end and letting the other end be whatever it is. Adjust the height or wattage to get the temperature directly under your bulb to about 100, and the rest of the enclosure will be cooler. This will allow the tortoise to regulate its own body temp by moving closer to, or farther away from the heat source. Outside everything is just 110 all the time with no way to get cooler.

Daily soaks and a humid hide will help too.

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
definitely soak that baby! It is amazing how quickly a tort starts acting better just from soaking :)

Welcome & My best wishes for you and your new baby :)

Status
Not open for further replies.