New Russian Tortoise Owner

jaejsvv

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hi – My name is Jim and my family just got a 1 year old Russian tort from a local pet shop. Based on what I am reading in these posts, vs what I was told by the pet shop, I am afraid I am following some bad advice.

Currently we have the tort in a 40 gallon fish tank but are in the process of building a wooden box/table for him. We have him on about 2-3 inches of Zoo Med™ Eco Earth Loose Reptile Substrate. He has a cardboard box to hide under and we have small tray for him to bath in and put a small food bowl with leafy greens for an hour or two each day for him to eat. We have a basking light and UV light on a broad mesh screen that we leave on during the day and an infrared bulb that we put on at night.

He seems to be more active at night, but he doesn’t seem to be eating much, and during the day he is sometimes in the cardboard box, but mostly he boroughs under his food or water tray and stays there.

I know I need to get him in a new enclosure, and he is only a few days with us, so I think he needs some time to get comfortable, but I want to know if there is anything else we are doing really wrong. For example, should I leave his food in there longer? Does the basking light need to be on all day? Should I be misting his tank down regularly or is the water tray enough moisture.

We are in New Jersey.

Thanks.

jaejsvv

NJ
Almost forgot, my ten year old has named our tortoise Mr. Bananas. He thought he would be eating lots of bananas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jim, and welcome to the Forum!

Here in the U.S. the federal government has a regulation called the 4" rule. This means pet shops or any business can't sell turtles or tortoises unless they measure 4" from front to back. In order for a Russian (a very small species) to be 4" in a straight line front to back, he's probably about 5 or 6 years old. And if he's longer than 4" he's older than that. Usually pet store Russians are about 10 or 12 years old, or full grown. So you can follow our care sheets for a full grown Russian tortoise.

I put a big pile of food down in the a.m. and leave it there all day. The tortoises eat now, go hide, come out later and bask then eat more. By the end of the day the food is gone.

If you post a picture of Mr. Bananas we can tell you an approximate age. Also a shot of his tail and we'll know for sure male or female.

jaejsvv

NJ
Thanks.

I will take a couple of pics and post them tomorrow.

It is a little disconcerting to think of the not-so-accurate information I have been given so far. Glad to have found this website.

As I mentioned, the tort is for my 10 y/o, though I already find myself getting attached to him(?) and anticipate helping out with a lot of the caregiving. That said, my goal is to get the little guy to where he is comfortable with us, so any advice there is also very welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most info you read or look up on the 'net is old and outdated. Our Forum has a few very experienced members who are so willing to share new and cutting edge info on tortoise-keeping, and our info is updated as we learn new stuff.

Just move slowly around the tortoise and don't whisk him up, up and away. Be gently and always support his body when holding him. Allow him to know you are the food god. It won't take long for him to become accustomed to you and look to you for food.

jaejsvv

NJ
Here is a pic of my guy next to a tape...almost 5 inches I think. Also, tried to snap the tail, but he was tucked in when I was trying to take the pic. Not sure if this pic will work.

Attachments

• IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7