My Buddy

ben awes

5 Year Member
Mini said:
ben awes said:
Mini said:
So far, I've been keeping his kennel and house around 75degF.
And my house at 67f. (someone has to sacrifice for the ominous electric electric bill coming soon.) lol
His absolutely loves having his entire shell rubbed, neck rubs and leg massages. He puts his neck out all the way and lays his head on the ground while I do this. It's amazing to watch. I need to get someone to video that.

THESE photos are fantastic! What a beautiful animal. Can you share a little more of the story? How did this come about? Have you been wanting an aldabra for a while? The person who had him before you looks to have taken great care - do you know how he was raised?

As a new aldabra owner, his age, how he was raised, what he has been fed, how big his enclosure is and was, are really interesting and helpful. I live in a norther climate and creating the best possible enclosure up here is difficult, but very important to me.

Anything you can share about the story and his care would be great (and it would be so great to know his approx age!!!)

Thanks for posting all this.

Buddy came into my life by shear luck. A friend of a friend told me his owner was selling her house and moving into an apartment. So I said "sure". I was told Buddy was a sulcata, so I got on line and did lots of research. When I met him, I knew right away, he wasn't. Then found out about Aldabras on the internet. Joined the tortoise forum and learned some more.
His previous owner never researched about him, but fed him well. He lived in her back yard with an igloo dog house and a reptile heat pad for 5 years. The owner before her, kept him 10/11 years and he grazed on grass and ate only carrots. She didn't know anything else about him. She only had a 3 sided box for him at night. So he has lived the past 15 years outside, in the Southeast area of Houston.
Both previous owners spend a lot of time petting him constantly.
He is incredibly friendly.

I have spend a lot of time, energy and money improving his life and keeping him safe. And that has been a challenge.

Wow, that a pretty remarkable story. I have never heard a story where the owner did not know what animal they had, and STILL seems to have taken good care of them. I don't know if you are willing to share, but I am sure wondering (and I am sure others are as well). That's a very valuable animal - was it given to you or did you purchase him? That's once in a lifetime luck for sure. Congrats! It sound like he has found the right caretaker. Can't wait to see some video of this guy roaming around!

Mini

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Friendswood
ben awes said:
Mini said:
ben awes said:
Mini said:
And my house at 67f. (someone has to sacrifice for the ominous electric electric bill coming soon.) lol
His absolutely loves having his entire shell rubbed, neck rubs and leg massages. He puts his neck out all the way and lays his head on the ground while I do this. It's amazing to watch. I need to get someone to video that.

THESE photos are fantastic! What a beautiful animal. Can you share a little more of the story? How did this come about? Have you been wanting an aldabra for a while? The person who had him before you looks to have taken great care - do you know how he was raised?

As a new aldabra owner, his age, how he was raised, what he has been fed, how big his enclosure is and was, are really interesting and helpful. I live in a norther climate and creating the best possible enclosure up here is difficult, but very important to me.

Anything you can share about the story and his care would be great (and it would be so great to know his approx age!!!)

Buddy came into my life by shear luck. A friend of a friend told me his owner was selling her house and moving into an apartment. So I said "sure". I was told Buddy was a sulcata, so I got on line and did lots of research. When I met him, I knew right away, he wasn't. Then found out about Aldabras on the internet. Joined the tortoise forum and learned some more.
His previous owner never researched about him, but fed him well. He lived in her back yard with an igloo dog house and a reptile heat pad for 5 years. The owner before her, kept him 10/11 years and he grazed on grass and ate only carrots. She didn't know anything else about him. She only had a 3 sided box for him at night. So he has lived the past 15 years outside, in the Southeast area of Houston.

I have spend a lot of time, energy and money improving his life and keeping him safe. And that has been a challenge.

Wow, that a pretty remarkable story. I have never heard a story where the owner did not know what animal they had, and STILL seems to have taken good care of them. I don't know if you are willing to share, but I am sure wondering (and I am sure others are as well). That's a very valuable animal - was it given to you or did you purchase him? That's once in a lifetime luck for sure. Congrats! It sound like he has found the right caretaker. Can't wait to see some video of this guy roaming around!

Buddy's value doesn't matter to me. I promised a friend I would take care of him and that is my goal. And when he goes to his next home for 30+ years.. (which I have secured with a future vetranarian)I have fulfilled my dedication for him. My goal is to help Buddy live for as long as he
wants.

Mini said:
ben awes said:
Mini said:
ben awes said:
Mini said:

Buddy's value doesn't matter to me. I promised a friend I would take care of him and that is my goal. And when he goes to his next home for 30+ years.. (which I have secured with a future vetranarian)I have fulfilled my dedication for him. My goal is to help Buddy live for as long as he
wants.

I did not buy Buddy.. he is a gift of trust.

ben awes

5 Year Member
[/quote]

[/quote]

wants.
[/quote]

I did not buy Buddy.. he is a gift of trust.
[/quote]

No doubt Buddy will reward the trust placed in you with a lifetime of joy and rich companionship. Thanks so much for sharing the photos and the story.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Buddy Cams coming soon

I have 4 video cameras for outside. Have all 4 working today, but need to finalize the placement of two of them. I will be able to view Buddy on my iphone and at work via internet. I will share my video site once I figure it out. Three of them will be for viewing Buddy.

Attachments

• Buddy20.JPG
    Buddy20.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 83

sonykurniawan

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hi Mini, its been a while since you last updated buddy. Any new pics of buddy? Please share to us

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Buddy22.JPGBuddy23.JPGBuddy has a hurt back leg, going to vet Saturday morning. Bought pipe straps 2000# weight capacity. And a big Tuff Stuff tub to put him in.
Tested the straps and secured with duct tape to stabilize slippage.
Neighbor has SUV she is letting me use. I'll take transport pics tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: