Tortoise woke from hibernation after two weeks in the cooler because the door was open.

Stupid Cobble

Location (City and/or State)
York
Hi. I'm in the United Kingdom with a Greek spur-thighed tortoise called Poppy that has been box hibernating for several years.

I wasn't able to hibernate him in the same place this year, and I don't have anywhere suitable. Therefore, I decided to get a Wine Cooler and do hibernation that way.

I got the temperature down to what I believe is around 5 deg C - that what the thermometer told me - and she was happy for a couple of weeks. However, I went in last night to find the door opened and Poppy hanging out slightly ( She's too big to fit in a box so is sleeping on a tray ). The door would likely be open for around 4 hours and the temp measured 12 deg C.

Now, unless she has opened it or I have a ghost, I can't work out why the door was ajar. Anyway, I've put her back, and she has attempted a couple of times again today to move toward the door. The temperature is taking a little while to drop and is currently around 7 deg C.

So my question is: Am I doing the right thing by attempting to put her back into hibernation?

Your thoughts and advice are very much appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So my question is: Am I doing the right thing by attempting to put her back into hibernation?
I think so, but you need to use a suitable plastic box that Poppy can't get out of. Best if is opaque. 5C should be a good temperature for this species.