My Buddy

Mini

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Friendswood
Well, I've had Buddy 5 weeks and it's been a challange every day. Being by myself, building and buying stuff along the way. Each week has cost me a few hunded dollars at a time. So far I've spent $1,100 and growing. I live in Friendswood Texas. I got him 3 weeks ahead of schedule and then back to back cold fronts hit. My best purchase is the infrared thermometer for instant results. I have managed to keep is enclosure betw 60 to 80 degrees. Given some nights here hit 28 deg. I took off work yesterday to care for him 36 hours. We both made it.

Attachments

• Buddy10.JPG
    Buddy10.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 382

ben awes

5 Year Member
Mini said:
Well, I've had Buddy 5 weeks and it's been a challange every day. Being by myself, building and buying stuff along the way. Each week has cost me a few hunded dollars at a time. So far I've spent $1,100 and growing. I live in Friendswood Texas. I got him 3 weeks ahead of schedule and then back to back cold fronts hit. My best purchase is the infrared thermometer for instant results. I have managed to keep is enclosure betw 60 to 80 degrees. Given some nights here hit 28 deg. I took off work yesterday to care for him 36 hours. We both made it.

Fascinating enclosure, can you post more pics? and some of Buddy! Nothing like an emergency to force us to get ready for an emergency! Sounds like you will survive, good work!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
ben awes said:
can you post more pics? // and some of Buddy!

* That would be great, visual is much better than written articulation!

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Buddy came out Sunday for awhile. I still wish I knew how old he is. I did buy a "Taylor" hook weighing scale.
I will put a wide strap under him and hook it to the scale, which will hang from a pipe. Waiting for warmer days and friends to help.
Also bought a 4 camera monitoring system for me and my friends to watch Buddy! I'll share the address once I get it all set up (soon).
Buddy is 25 inches wide and about 32 inches long. Loves neck rubs! (but what guy doesn't - ha!)

Buddy13.JPGBuddy14.JPGBuddy15.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man thats a beautiful tortoise . One day I will get one but don't have the land he will need to graze . My sulcata eats like a cow. Ha ha

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Mini said:
Buddy came out Sunday for awhile. I still wish I knew how old he is. I did buy a "Taylor" hook weighing scale.
I will put a wide strap under him and hook it to the scale, which will hang from a pipe. Waiting for warmer days and friends to help.
Also bought a 4 camera monitoring system for me and my friends to watch Buddy! I'll share the address once I get it all set up (soon).
Buddy is 25 inches wide and about 32 inches long. Loves neck rubs! (but what guy doesn't - ha!)

You go High-tech for your tortoise that is part of the reason why is $1,100 already right?

Your torts look so beautiful. I also love to have on but have the space for him/her and my Sulcata. But I'm content with all the torts I already got.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Thanks... I find it interesting during this cold weather. Buddy comes out of his house to do his potty issues, then goes back in his igloo dog house. Makes for easy clean up!
Here is a photo of him going in for the evening.

Buddy16.JPG

bouaboua said:
Mini said:

You go High-tech for your tortoise that is part of the reason why is $1,100 already right?

Your torts look so beautiful. I also love to have on but have the space for him/her and my Sulcata. But I'm content with all the torts I already got.

The $1,100 was before I bought the video cameras, now add $420. haha

Last edited by a moderator:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Mini said:
Buddy came out Sunday for awhile.

* Fantastic looking Aldabra!

* Please keep posting pictures and sharing your experiences!

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Mini said:

This is a fantastic looking animal. You are fortunate indeed!

ben awes

5 Year Member
Mini said:

Wow! this guy is remarkable. At first glance I could not tell if he was 6" or 26" Nothing in the photo really gave me scale and i did not look that close at his scutes, but this Buddy is a beast! I only hope my Uncle Bri is this gorgeous at that age and size. I can't wait to find out his weight. He's got to be 250+ right? more? And keep the photos coming!, and what about a quick video of him moving - could post a link to a youtube vid right here on Tort Forum. - Thanks for sharing.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
So far, I've been keeping his kennel and house around 75degF.
And my house at 67f. (someone has to sacrifice for the ominous electric electric bill coming soon.) lol
His absolutely loves having his entire shell rubbed, neck rubs and leg massages. He puts his neck out all the way and lays his head on the ground while I do this. It's amazing to watch. I need to get someone to video that.

Attachments

• Buddy18.JPG
    Buddy18.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 170
  • Buddy19.JPG
    Buddy19.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 178

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Mini said:
And my house at 67f. (someone has to sacrifice for the ominous electric electric bill coming soon.) lol
His absolutely loves having his entire shell rubbed, neck rubs and leg massages. He puts his neck out all the way and lays his head on the ground while I do this. It's amazing to watch. I need to get someone to video that.

He is one big, lovely guy. I so envy of you.

$1,100 plus $420 for video camera are well spent.

Please do upload more pictures and videos. Just love it. Please! ! ! ! ! !

ben awes

5 Year Member
Mini said:

THESE photos are fantastic! What a beautiful animal. Can you share a little more of the story? How did this come about? Have you been wanting an aldabra for a while? The person who had him before you looks to have taken great care - do you know how he was raised?

As a new aldabra owner, his age, how he was raised, what he has been fed, how big his enclosure is and was, are really interesting and helpful. I live in a norther climate and creating the best possible enclosure up here is difficult, but very important to me.

Anything you can share about the story and his care would be great (and it would be so great to know his approx age!!!)

Thanks for posting all this.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
ben awes said:
Mini said:

THESE photos are fantastic! What a beautiful animal. Can you share a little more of the story? How did this come about? Have you been wanting an aldabra for a while? The person who had him before you looks to have taken great care - do you know how he was raised?

As a new aldabra owner, his age, how he was raised, what he has been fed, how big his enclosure is and was, are really interesting and helpful. I live in a norther climate and creating the best possible enclosure up here is difficult, but very important to me.

Anything you can share about the story and his care would be great (and it would be so great to know his approx age!!!)

Buddy came into my life by shear luck. A friend of a friend told me his owner was selling her house and moving into an apartment. So I said "sure". I was told Buddy was a sulcata, so I got on line and did lots of research. When I met him, I knew right away, he wasn't. Then found out about Aldabras on the internet. Joined the tortoise forum and learned some more.
His previous owner never researched about him, but fed him well. He lived in her back yard with an igloo dog house and a reptile heat pad for 5 years. The owner before her, kept him 10/11 years and he grazed on grass and ate only carrots. She didn't know anything else about him. She only had a 3 sided box for him at night. So he has lived the past 15 years outside, in the Southeast area of Houston.
Both previous owners spend a lot of time petting him constantly.
He is incredibly friendly.

I have spend a lot of time, energy and money improving his life and keeping him safe. And that has been a challenge.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Mini said:
ben awes said:
Mini said:

Buddy came into my life by shear luck. A friend of a friend told me his owner was selling her house and moving into an apartment. So I said "sure". I was told Buddy was a sulcata, so I got on line and did lots of research. When I met him, I knew right away, he wasn't. Then found out about Aldabras on the internet. Joined the tortoise forum and learned some more.
His previous owner never researched about him, but fed him well. He lived in her back yard with an igloo dog house and a reptile heat pad for 5 years. The owner before her, kept him 10/11 years and he grazed on grass and ate only carrots. She didn't know anything else about him. She only had a 3 sided box for him at night. So he has lived the past 15 years outside, in the Southeast area of Houston.

I have spend a lot of time, energy and money improving his life and keeping him safe. And that has been a challenge.

Lucky that Buddy is with you now. His life will be better.

There is big difference between alive and thrive.

Or I shall said: Lucky for both of you.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
All I can say is WOW!
Thanks for sharing story and pictures.
Amazing, amazing, amazing...

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Mini said:

You are really lucky. Buddy is a really nice looking aldabra, for one that only has pretty simple diets.

Please share more of his pics and update us.