MVB Life Span

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
So I figured out today why I like to keep an extra bulb on hand for little Trevor! Mine burned out after about 8 months. Bummer it didn't last 12, and it's 2 months past the warranty. Sure am glad I bought a replacement one a couple weeks ago. Now I have to order another replacement just in case...

Any ideas how to prevent this form happening in the future, or did I just have some bad luck? This one was a Mega Ray. The replacement is a T-Rex. I'm buying another T-Rex just because it's a bit cheaper and I have found info saying they are the same bulb. I don't have a preference between the two. Came downstairs this morning to find the bulb dark. It sounds burnt out too. New one had an hour or two to burn in before the little guy was awake thankfully. Must have burnt out when the timer came on this morning.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kate, isn't it always that way? As soon as the warrenty is out something is gonna happen, and it will more than likely cost a pretty penny to fix or replace. :rolleyes: I don't know if they are "the same bulb" but I use the T-rex 100 watt and have not had any problems with them. I have had the problem with CHE buring out when timers click on. You can always just turn a regular light on or place a regular bulb in the holder to give Trevor light and help heat him up if you are ever without a replacement or you get one that is bad to begin with. I actually try and buy my bulbs towards the end of summer and let them burn in as soon as I get them. Then I put them away until the torts all come inside. That way at least I know they are working when I get them and they are not sitting in a box in my closet for months before I make sure they work. Hope this help a bit.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hmmm so I guess that I will have to go to the USA anyway to buy a replacement in case something happen. Because during the winter with all the snow, it is not super safe to go there (my fiance's relatives live in the mountains near waterbury, CT). To bad Carolina pet supply does not want to ship the lights in Canada!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
The ZooMed PowerSun bulbs have a full year warranty. ZooMed has made recent changes to the bulb to make them better. Previous to this change, I had two bulbs replaced under warranty without question!

In the future if your bulb burns out and you do not have a spare on hand....not to worry. Your tort will be fine for a week or two without UVB! Just put a 100w regular bulb in and adjust heights to maintain temps. Also, if you do have a spare on hand, remember the warranty started when you bought it!

Remember, in the history of captive reptiles, UVB bulbs are relatively new!

As for preventing failure, handle them with extreem care, if at all, when they are hot. All bulbs are most vulnerable when hot.

Crazy1 said:
Kate, isn't it always that way? As soon as the warrenty is out something is gonna happen, and it will more than likely cost a pretty penny to fix or replace. :rolleyes: I don't know if they are "the same bulb" but I use the T-rex 100 watt and have not had any problems with them. I have had the problem with CHE buring out when timers click on. You can always just turn a regular light on or place a regular bulb in the holder to give Trevor light and help heat him up if you are ever without a replacement or you get one that is bad to begin with. I actually try and buy my bulbs towards the end of summer and let them burn in as soon as I get them. Then I put them away until the torts all come inside. That way at least I know they are working when I get them and they are not sitting in a box in my closet for months before I make sure they work. Hope this help a bit.

Robyn, I do find it odd that you have poor luck with CHE's. I have several that are on 12 hours each day....and on timers. I have never had one fail, and they have been in service for 5 years!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I know he's fine without one, I just won't let that happen! During heat waves here I turn off his UVB and just leave a house light on over his enclosure so he doesn't get too warm. I have a CHE so he'd be fine for warmth (with hand warmers as back up, although I wouldn't mind getting a back up for the CHE as those are relatively cheap).

I'll think about the Powersun, but from my research, although improved, they are not quite as good as the T-Rex and Mega Ray (I do think they have the same design). If the bulb burns out before 12 months again I will re-consider.

Robyn-Do they need to burn in more than a couple hours? I believe this is what I read on www.uvguide.co.uk.

Maybe the future ones will last longer as I did handle this first one quite a bit to get everything all set up.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I always have an extra MVB 100w bulb, actually I have 3 extra now. Some people would not like the idea of the warranty running on a bulb they are not using.

From my experience with all MVB bulbs, the PowerSuns are the best for longivity....but not perfect. Maybe thats why they stand behind them with a warranty that is twice as long as the one you had that burned out after only 8 months. I have never got less than 10 months from a PowerSun, and I use a lot of bulbs! The ones that have failed between 10-12 monthes were replaced with a bulb that I got another year out of.

I think you will have better luck with your new bulb. If you were moving the old bulb alot when it was hot, thats probably why it died early.

S

stells

Megaray's and Trex are from the same blue print... basically the megarays are the better bulbs out of the factory the Trex are supposidly the seconds... thats the best way i can explain it... The UK supplier for Megarays say that the lifespan of them is 2 years... most of mine have gone at around 18 months though... Powersuns have a nasty habit of blowing...

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Thanks for the great thread, interesting for me to read for T :D I just ordered a TRex MVB yesterday from the States, so hopefully all goes well !!!! So excited to get it!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Lifespan of the bulb not burning out, or showing good UVB output? I heard that you can only count on a 12 month good UVB output without a meter. Your thoughts? Thanks!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
That is my understanding as well. There good for about a year, more if a meter says so! A bulb that has gone a year and is replaced sure makes a great backup.

S

stells

Mine are only used on a daily basis in the winter for non hibernators... Summer time they are outside... thus extending the time that the bulbs last as they aren't used all summer :D

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
:I purchased my 100 sb mega-ray from www.reptileuv.com.
My first bulb lasted 14 months my second bulb is now 9 months old and still going strong.
One thing i did learn about the mvb bulbs is the have to point straight down .
At any kind of angle will cause premature failure.
By the way i have read that the change in the new power suns 160 wt have some serious quality issues.
Now if i can just find that perfect redfoot to put under a new mega-ray .that would be awsome:):)
Mike D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I thought Redfoots are from the rain forest and don't like or need bright light? That's great yougot that kind of life out of the bulb though. Did you test the UV after 12 months? Yes, agreed it needs to be parallel to the substrate, not handled much, etc. I only recommend the Mega Rays and T-Rex bulbs for several reasons. :)

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
The bulbs will burn out when they are parallel to the substraight, they must be perpendicular to the substraight and parallel to the walls! In other words the light is shining downward! The instructions say "Do not mount the lamp Horizontally". I am sure that is what you ment since I have seen pictures of your enclosure, I just don't want others getting confused!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I meant the bulb face parallel to the substrate surface. The bulb is then perpendicular.

Status
Not open for further replies.