T-Rex 160 watt flood bulb - Buyer beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Well, after seeing how many on this forum liked the T-Rex bulbs, I went ahead and bought one ($43.95 from LLLReptile). I put the bulb into service on 12/13/09, or 26 days ago. Today when I arrived home, the bulb was no longer functional. Now I have to go thru the hassle to get a warranty replacement. No wonder T-Rex only gives a 6 month warranty, the bulbs are crap!

I have been a ZooMed PowerSun user for 6 years. Over those 6 years, I had 2 bulbs replaced under warranty. Both of those bulbs lasted over 10 months. ZooMeds warranty is one year, NOT 6 months. I have learned my lesson, and will continue to give ZooMed my business!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't judge the whole product by one bad experience. LLLReptile is VERY good at replacing bad bulbs. Just email them and I'm sure they'll send you a new one in no time.

M

Maggie Cummings

I've been using Trex 160 watt or 200 watt for Bob for years and 100 watts for my smaller animals. I change them out every 6 months or so always buying from lllreptile and I have never had a problem. Once the bulb came broken and they replaced it with no problem, and other time they sent a 100 instead of a 160 and that was replaced immediately and I didn't even have to send the wrong bulb back. I have never not ever had a problem with Trex bulbs or customer service at lllreptile. So don't judge the whole cow from one bad burger...call customer service and talk to them, don't email. I have found I get better and faster service over the phone...

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Just for the record, I love LLLReptile, and they have always been great! As for T-Rex, this is all I have to judge by!

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
My bulbs blew out because of the humidity of my enclosure a few times. It short circuits the light socket.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I have thought about what you have said Maggie, and you are right! I should not judge T-Rex with a sample size of one. However, human nature is such that I will spend my money where I "know" the product is good (or at least my experience has been good with perhaps 15 bulbs), rather than risk buying a bulb that let me down in less than a month. These things are not cheap, as you know!

I have often thought that a company that stands behind their products with better warranties means a lot. In this case, ZooMed gives twice the warranty that T-Rex does......that says volumes (to me anyway) of what they think of their product.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
bettinge said:
I have been a ZooMed PowerSun user for 6 years.

I have a PowerSun 160 watt ready for my new Ibera's. Is this ok to heat a 24 x 60 table?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Try turning it back on. Sometimes they shut off if they overheat. Someone on another forum had three "blown" bulbs in the closet in boxes. When I suggested he try them again, they all worked.

Not nice to jump the gun, when you only bought one bulb.

M

Maggie Cummings

bettinge said:
I have thought about what you have said Maggie, and you are right! I should not judge T-Rex with a sample size of one. However, human nature is such that I will spend my money where I "know" the product is good (or at least my experience has been good with perhaps 15 bulbs), rather than risk buying a bulb that let me down in less than a month. These things are not cheap, as you know!

I have often thought that a company that stands behind their products with better warranties means a lot. In this case, ZooMed gives twice the warranty that T-Rex does......that says volumes (to me anyway) of what they think of their product.

Have you called lllreptile and told them what happened? I would call them and expect a replacement...at least give them a chance before you spend money on another bulb

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I sure hope your case was the exception...I just bought two 160 Trex bulbs (meant to buy 100 but I was figuring I can just hang up higher to keep the temps where they should be). I got mine from Carolinapetsupply. Does anyone have any problems with them?

I am not planning to use this bulb till my other one, that I have had about 5 months, dies. So I sure hope it does work. How does one keep an extra bulb around (so Taco doesn't have to go without for any sustained period of time) without allowing the warranty to expire while the bulb sits in the box? I feel kind of stupid for not having thought of that till now....:p

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Meg90 said:
Try turning it back on. Sometimes they shut off if they overheat. Someone on another forum had three "blown" bulbs in the closet in boxes. When I suggested he try them again, they all worked.

This bulb is dead cold in more than one fixture. While it may be jumping the gun, I will NEVER spend $44 on a bulb again from a company that does not stand behind their product like their competitors do.

Everyone realize I have nothing bad to say or imply about LLLReptile, I think they are awsome! Its T-Rex I'm less than happy with!

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I have never had a bad experience with LLLreptile, and actually I had a similar problem when I bought my Trex 100W bulb [it was also my first Trex bulb]..I set up my new stand, and put the bulb into the new dome, and turned it on, but low and behold it didn't work. I was so frustrated because I had saved up for a couple weeks to afford all the new stuff for Ernie. After messing with it for a couple minutes, it finally turned on, but it seems to be a sensitive bulb. If I move it around, I need to turn it off first, otherwise it turns off on its own, and takes a little bit to turn back on. So maybe try to turn it on again, leave it on, move it around a bit, and maybe it'll work. Even still, I would go by what everyone has said, and contact LLLreptile to get a replacement.

M

Maggie Cummings

bettinge said:
Meg90 said:

This bulb is dead cold in more than one fixture. While it may be jumping the gun, I will NEVER spend $44 on a bulb again from a company that does not stand behind their product like their competitors do.

Everyone realize I have nothing bad to say or imply about LLLReptile, I think they are awsome! Its T-Rex I'm less than happy with!

Have you called lllreptile and talked to them? Have they refused to replace the dead bulb? It seems to me you are raising pretty much of a fuss but yet you haven't asked for a replacement. The more time that goes by the less chance you have of getting a replacement. Trex makes good bulbs, your's could have gotten bumped hard in shipping or several other examples. I feel the same way about Trex as you feel about Zoomed, I see that you are bad mouthing Trex without giving them the chance to replace the bad bulb...that's just not right.You should at least call and ask nicely for a replacement. I have never had a problem with Trex or lllreptile

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
maggie3fan said:
bettinge said:
Meg90 said:

Have you called lllreptile and talked to them? Have they refused to replace the dead bulb? It seems to me you are raising pretty much of a fuss but yet you haven't asked for a replacement. The more time that goes by the less chance you have of getting a replacement. Trex makes good bulbs, your's could have gotten bumped hard in shipping or several other examples. I feel the same way about Trex as you feel about Zoomed, I see that you are bad mouthing Trex without giving them the chance to replace the bad bulb...that's just not right.You should at least call and ask nicely for a replacement. I have never had a problem with Trex or lllreptile

LLLReptile will replace it, obviously, since its under warranty. The very nice lady at LLL did say that the T-Rex bulbs are more problematic, and many choose ZooMed for this reason.

I do not think I'm making a fuss. Warranty replacements are a pain, take time, and I have to be without the very expensive bulb I bought. All this lost time my warranty on the replacement is wasted, as its 6 months from the date of purchase. And yes, its for these reasons I will stick to ZooMed bulbs. They work better for me, and the company stands behind them MUCH better, 12 rather than a 6 month warranty!

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
I only use the trex 100W bulbs. You won't find a better UV output unless you go to a metal halide. They had a bad run on 100w a year or two ago, several people had to return them.

Also they don't have to be replaced every 6 months like most bulbs do. I've read their output is good for a year at 12 hours a day.

M

Maggie Cummings

bettinge said:
maggie3fan said:
bettinge said:
Meg90 said:

LLLReptile will replace it, obviously, since its under warranty. The very nice lady at LLL did say that the T-Rex bulbs are more problematic, and many choose ZooMed for this reason.

I do not think I'm making a fuss. Warranty replacements are a pain, take time, and I have to be without the very expensive bulb I bought. All this lost time my warranty on the replacement is wasted, as its 6 months from the date of purchase. And yes, its for these reasons I will stick to ZooMed bulbs. They work better for me, and the company stands behind them MUCH better, 12 rather than a 6 month warranty!
I apologize, I believe you have misunderstood me. But I am not going to debate you.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
What is the date on the comparison? I did not see one.

I have a PowerSun new so I can return it for a T-Rex.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
KQ6AR said:
The zoo meds have almost no uvb output. http://russiantortoise.org/uvb.htm
Interesting they warranty the bulb for 12 months when you're supposed to replace them every 6 months.

An old bulb makes a great secondary heat/light source in an enclosure. Also, some people, myself included, buy a second bulb as a back up. We hope that bulb is good when needed. The entire time I have that bulb on the shelf, the warranty is running.
I have bought up to six bulbs before when a good deal came along. Its no longer a good deal if the bulbs have a low life expectancy, and cannot be replaced under warranty. I am comfortable keeping ZooMeds on the shelf, but not a T-Rex. I realize others have different experiences, but I now choose the stay with what works for me! Zoo Med.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi,
Sorry I don't know the date of the comparison chart.

I also have a couple bulbs on the shelf for future use, so I completely understand you're sentiment.
When I have animals cooped up in the house for 6 months in the winter, & hatchlings that I'm raising I'm not willing to sacrifice the quality of the output.

If I sell one hatchling the bulbs paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.