T-Rex 160 watt flood bulb - Buyer beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
FYI MVBs are supposed to have sufficient UVB output for 12 months (Dan is correct), not 6 months like a UVB tube light. I buy T-Rex because of the higher UVB output over the Powersun. The MegaRay is supposedly the same bulb as the T-Rex but I switched after mine burnt out early to see if I have better luck with the T-Rex (and it was cheaper by about $10 at the time). Yes, bulbs are very touchy and lots of things can go wrong with them either in manufacturing, shipping, handling/installation, or use. It would be amazing to never have a problem with one. To me, having the extra bulb sitting on the shelf is worth the peace of mind over having the warranty on it. I also like the idea of keeping the "old" bulb (12 months use) for use if the new one burns out as it would be ok to use until you can order a replacement. Then you don't have the warranty issue. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if a good company would still honor a warranty even if it had passed if you let them know how long you had used it (no personal experience with this in this product line though, only other types of warranties, guarantees, and return policies). There are good companies out there still. I have never seen such a good deal as to buy more than 1. The prices I see online are about the same. I know they have some slightly better deals at shows sometimes though.

M

Maggie Cummings

With shipping so quick now a days I wouldn't keep a bulb on the shelf. I'd just order one when the old stops putting out UVB. It doesn't hurt the animal to be without UVB for a couple of days. I just use my UVB lights for a few hours a day then they have a 100 watt incandescent bulb. I don't believe they need 12 or 14 hours of UVB rays bombarding them anyhow.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
maggie3fan said:
With shipping so quick now a days I wouldn't keep a bulb on the shelf. I'd just order one when the old stops putting out UVB. It doesn't hurt the animal to be without UVB for a couple of days. I just use my UVB lights for a few hours a day then they have a 100 watt incandescent bulb. I don't believe they need 12 or 14 hours of UVB rays bombarding them anyhow.

Even LLLReptile has volume discounts, although its not much. But the discount and another $18 for a couple of shiping costs, it does start to make sense. But your right, its not earth shattering savings. Quick shipping is only part of the equation, cost of shiping is the other part.
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...s/-/zoo-med-160-watt-powersun-uvb-heat-bulbs/

M

Maggie Cummings

bettinge said:
maggie3fan said:

Even LLLReptile has volume discounts, although its not much. But the discount and another $18 for a couple of shiping costs, it does start to make sense. But your right, its not earth shattering savings. Quick shipping is only part of the equation, cost of shiping is the other part.
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...s/-/zoo-med-160-watt-powersun-uvb-heat-bulbs/

Yes, Betts you're right totally...

-ryan-

5 Year Member
For what it's worth, I tried a powersun once and it blew within the first 20 days. Same fixture, same socket with other bulbs I never had a problem. I only tried it once though, so it was likely a fluke, but they just seem very finicky and fragile.... suspiciously so.

Also, I was a little shocked to see that UVB outputs of some of the bulbs (like the t-rex 160 watt) are higher than natural sunlight. This is made dangerous by the fact that a lot of keepers using the bulbs don't give their animals real hiding spots (where they can conceal themselves in darkness). Anyway, do these numbers not seem excessive to anyone else?

My bulbs cost $7 for a two pack and they last over a year each and use only a fraction of the electricity of a mercury vapor bulb, but that's a whole other discussion. This discussion is about the fact that you shouldn't always let one bad experience with a company spoil the whole deal for you.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
-ryan- said:
My bulbs cost $7 for a two pack and they last over a year each and use only a fraction of the electricity of a mercury vapor bulb, but that's a whole other discussion.
What are you using? GE Reveals?

-ryan-

5 Year Member
webskipper said:
-ryan- said:
My bulbs cost $7 for a two pack and they last over a year each and use only a fraction of the electricity of a mercury vapor bulb, but that's a whole other discussion.
What are you using? GE Reveals?

Right now I am using just the standard GE 45 watt halogen flood bulbs. I know there is a big debate over whether or not UVB lights are necessary, so that is not important to the post for me. My main concern is always adequate heat and appropriate light intensity. I find that for most of my enclosures measuring around and over 4'x2' I can use just one 45 watt halogen and 1-3 standard compact fluorescents (not the UVB ones). For my redfoot I use a single 45 watt halogen, a single compact fluorescent, and a 45 watt incandescent flood, and that allows me to keep a somewhat lower light atmosphere, the temperatures are more uniform throughout the enclosure, etc. etc. but for him I am really interested in trying out a radiant heat panel.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I thought so. My 100 watt reveal is a foot off the floor and keeps the basking area in the 80's usually @30C. I think the halogen version ($12) would allow me to keep the lamp further away as I am not trying to keep french fries warm.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
webskipper said:
I thought so. My 100 watt reveal is a foot off the floor and keeps the basking area in the 80's usually @30C. I think the halogen version ($12) would allow me to keep the lamp further away as I am not trying to keep french fries warm.

Yeah, the reveals are a little pricier. I like to use the lower wattages and then keep them closer to the animals. For my russians I can usually get a good temperature with a 45 watt flood about 8-10" away from the dirt. Since it is a flood, the heat dispersion even at such close range is nice. I use one for a trio and they seem to do fine. They don't compete for the basking spot, because they usually either take turns or hangout in a mass underneath it. When I expand the group I will probably add a second one.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Ok, Ok, against my better judgement, I'm going to try another T-Rex bulb. I usually like to stick to products I have had success with, but I'll try again and see!

Status
Not open for further replies.