Mulberry Tree Leaves

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Now that I think about it, I have heard of Mulberry pie, and I highly doubt they make it with leaves o_O
There is nursery here that sells all sorts of exotic plants, one of the best (IMO!) I bet they''d probably have a couple :D Hmm. Should probably wait until spring to plant, right? Then the trees can get established before winter?
I don't know anything about american weather, the best nursery would know ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now that I think about it, I have heard of Mulberry pie, and I highly doubt they make it with leaves o_O
There is nursery here that sells all sorts of exotic plants, one of the best (IMO!) I bet they''d probably have a couple :D Hmm. Should probably wait until spring to plant, right? Then the trees can get established before winter?

I'm not sure how well a mulberry would do in Ohio. Definitely wait until spring, but ask a local nursery how well they would do in your area. They do great here and most of our winter nights are near and sometimes below freezing. They go dormant in winter and lose all their leaves here.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes :D
Was wondering, though, everyone seems to have planted 'fruitless' mulberry trees... reason why? I didn't even now they made fruint until I read it here :eek: is it poisonous?

In some areas the ones with fruit are no legal to be planted any more. I like the ones with fruit because of the wide assortment of birds it attracts.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Fall is a wonderful time to be planting trees, as they don't have to worry about the summer heat right away.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Probably so the tree can replant itself?
There a lot of wild birds here, and of course, they get fed :D It would be pretty to see other birds though, like Orioles lie berries and sugary fruit over seeds, so we hardly ever see them :(
I don't know if the plant place sells mulberry trees, but they send a catalog in the mail every month (for buying a raspberry bush there a LONG time ago :p ) so I can look :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Have you tried the leaves on your animal yet?
No, I don't have a bush, and no one around here (that I know of) grows any :(
Everyone here is saying sulcata's like them, but would it be good just to check first?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you would like, I could mail you some leaves. Just PM me your mailing infor

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Just for fun!!

photo-2.JPG

This shot was taking about earlier this year. They came to me about 18 months ago. every tree are in a couple inch pot.

This is suppose be a Japaneses "dwarf" Mulberry tree.

My wife planted on our front yard about May this year.

This is today.

photo-3.JPG

I don't know Japanese "Dwarf" can be over 6 foots already!!!! Hahahahah!!!!!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Perhaps the term dwarf is meaning it's smaller then the "normal" mulberry trees, not that it's really going to stay a little 6-8' tree.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Probably so the tree can replant itself?
There a lot of wild birds here, and of course, they get fed :D It would be pretty to see other birds though, like Orioles lie berries and sugary fruit over seeds, so we hardly ever see them :(
I don't know if the plant place sells mulberry trees, but they send a catalog in the mail every month (for buying a raspberry bush there a LONG time ago :p ) so I can look :D

I have a whole yard full of them. Next spring, if you live in northern ohio, you can dig up a few :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
From what I understand, they do go dormant in the colder states and the leaves fall off. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to transplant one in an already weakened state. But, if you bought one still in a pot, I see no issue with you just bringing it home in a pot and waiting for spring. Mine was in a large pot and about 6' tall. I transplanted it into a MUCH larger planter/pot and the next few days, I thought for sure that it was dead. The leaves had all turned brown and crunchy, however, it has come back and looks great as of yesterday.( I read on the internet that transplanting this tree is very stressful to the tree.) Mine was $25. It's a dwarf, red variety. There are many varieties with the "white" mulberry being the cheapest and fastest growing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have 3 growing in my yard. I'm in Chicago, cold and snow. They are not growing fast, but getting lots of leaves. One is going through its 2nd winter this year and was brought over from my old house. The other ones I just got this spring. They are fruitless dwarf from Coastal.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Just for fun!!

View attachment 95387

This shot was taking about earlier this year. They came to me about 18 months ago. every tree are in a couple inch pot.

This is today.

View attachment 95388

I love the fruiting tree (childhood memories). This is what the "normal" mulberries you buy here grow up to:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410437410.266390.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just for fun!!

View attachment 95387

This is today.

View attachment 95388

My fruitless dwarfs leafs look nothing like yours. This is where I got mine and what they look like http://www.coastalsilkworms.com/tortoise-food/dwarf-mulberry-tree-1qrt.html
I wonder why such a difference.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thanks! I do :D Northeast, Ohio.
@AbdullaAli, that's a big tree, with lots of leaves... do you ever see any silkworms on it?
My cousin has a tree about that size, but I just found a picture online that looked exactly like it.... No silkworms, but lots of fruit that color the pavement. :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Free decoration! :D Does it stain your shoes?
Oh, okay, he must take good care of his tree! I'm positive silkworms don't live here, but I'd bet it would attract other critters :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Free decoration! :D Does it stain your shoes?
Oh, okay, he must take good care of his tree! I'm positive silkworms don't live here, but I'd bet it would attract other critters :D
There aren't silkworms here, no "good care". This is how the tree is cared for:
1- the tree is watered often.
The "soil" that is used is actually orange sand. It just gets LOTS of sun and heat (The temperature never drops below 48 here). My tree is doing OK, I think it just needs time :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thanks! I do :D Northeast, Ohio.
@AbdullaAli, that's a big tree, with lots of leaves... do you ever see any silkworms on it?

Cool! I am near Sandusky (Cedar Point) town called Norwalk. I have a few good sized starts growing randomly in my yard. So if your close & want to come dig, let me know :) They are to big, I think to mail, but small enough for transplant.