Additional leaves and shrubs for Sulcatas?

Jimmie

So I've seen the list of healthy grasses, shrubs and leaves to feed Sulcatas but I only have a few of those like grape, hibiscus and honesuckle. I also grow my own grass.

But I live in Southern California and was wondering if these others that I listed and that I have in my yard are also good food items to feed sulcatas. If anyone has knowledge of this I'd love to hear about it and hopefully this would help other sulcata owners who may have some of the same items. Apologies if any of these are already on the list.

Passion vine leaves (fruiting and non-fruiting)
Wildflowers
Wisteria
Bleeding heart vine
Hong Kong Orchid tree leaves
Banana tree leaves
Peach tree leaves
Mango tree leaves
Lemon tree leaves
Orange tree leaves
Jade
Coffee plant leaves
Bamboo leaves
Jasmine leaves (yellow and star jasmine)
Australia tree fern (or other ferns)
Peanut butter shrub leaves

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Banana and bamboo are definitely fine. I feed our Sully a massive banana leaf just about every other day, in addition to other grasses and weeds of course. When i feed bamboo, our Sully was much smaller....not sure he liked it or not. It dried up in the sun quickly.

Good luck..

From Tort table, on Citrus in general..

• Common Name: Citrus Tree (Orange, Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Satsuma, Mandarin)
  • Latin Name: Citrus spp.
  • Family Name: Rutaceae
The essential oils in citrus trees (e.g. limonene or linalool) are most concentrated in the fruit of the trees, but they are also present in the leaves. Although the leaves are edible for humans, it is known that cats are particularly susceptible (and dogs to a lesser extent) to the toxins in citrus leaves, which if ingested can cause diarrhoea, vomiting and possible liver damage. We can find no research on the effects on tortoises of eating the leaves of citrus trees and so we would advise erring on the side of caution and not feeding.

Peach Tree
The leaves, as they get older and wilt, produce a cyanic compound, so although your tortoise will come to no harm if he accidentally nibbles a few fallen leaves, it is wise to prevent him from doing so if possible.

Jade Plant
Crassulas are classed by some sources as being mildly toxic, contain oxalic acid and, like most succulents, can cause diarrhoea if eaten in excess. Many tortoises don't bother with them, but feeding small amounts will do no harm.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the seeds from the Wisteria are toxic.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I think the seeds from the Wisteria are toxic.

Yep... per TT

• Common Name: Wisteria
  • Latin Name: Wisteria spp.
  • Family Name: Fabaceae/Leguminosae
All parts of this plant are TOXIC as they contain wisterin, a glycoside, and a toxic resin. The seeds are especially toxic and two seeds are enough to present serious danger to a child. Symptoms of poisoning could include stomach pain, diarrhoea, dehydration and collapse.

Jimmie

Ok, thanks so much on all this. I have lots of banana and bamboo but will be careful with the wisteria. I forgot to list Mandevilla, which I think are somewhat common, and Giant Snail vine leaves.

Any ideas on the other items on the list? Does anyone have some common plants that may not be on other lists that they feed their Sulcatas?

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
TT is in multiple posts...search for thetortoisetable.org.uk. https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/index.php#.W4a3BuhKhB8 I keep bookmarked. Couldn't find snail vine but it seems that vines in general are not so good.

upload_2018-8-29_8-29-26.png

I know I have at least one bad plant, Morning Glory, that I keep thinking I finally killed each year for past 20 but not so. Bomber walks by it every day when making his rounds but I've never seen him do more than smell it. He's supposed to be about 12-13 yo now and he's been here since 11/2016. Perhaps he knows what's good from trial and error or plant's scent or something because he seems to know what not to eat (except fruits :cool:. I'm sure I have other bad plants around the yard; I never planned to have an adult sulcata. Fortunately, he knows more than me.