Mulberry tree question

Status
Not open for further replies.

teq1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have been wanting to get a mulberry tree, fruitless of course, for a long time now. But no luck! I was wondering, can you grow a mulberry tree from a cutting or small branch of another tree? I think someone had mentioned that to me but wasn't too sure. I've asked around my area for fruitless mulberry trees but apparently those don't exist here in south texas. And the trees with fruit grow really huge and make a mess. Can't have that at my parents house! Plus they are super expensive here locally. So if I get a cutting of another tree can I grow my very own mulberry tree? I'll have to keep looking if that's the case. Thanks! :)

Letty

teq1

5 Year Member
Texas
I'll keep that in mind :)

Anyone know where I can get seeds for the fruitless mulberry tree? I would prefer a cutting if I knew for sure that it would grow. I have absolutely no knowledge about plants or trees so any information helps. If planting cuttings works, anyone who has a fruitless mulberry tree interested in sending me a small branch? I'll pay for it! :D I just want the darn tree already lol :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes you can! But I've had no luck at it. The lady at the nursery even showed me how to do it and I bought the rooting hormone and all the right stuff, still a no go.

I had to special order my trees at my nursery. They informed me that mulberry trees are seen as a destructive nuisance and not a very good landscaping tree for a typical suburban back yard and that's why they don't carry them. You should be able to special order a 5 or 10 gallon sapling. Just make sure you keep the gophers away from the roots!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I have a weeping mulberry that's fruitless, and very decorative, The regular ones are considered trash trees around here, and come up everywhere. But at fruiting time, birds will make a mess of your car.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Seiryu said:
kyryah said:
Here you go (I bought myself one before giving this link, LOL!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120681419337

Do these leaves have somewhat similar nutritional properties as the ones with fruit?

I want a mulberry tree too, but not so much the fruit Lol.

I'm not sure, but I would assume so. I more want it for shade for my Redfoots than as a food source.

spikethebest said:
kyryah said:

it says no shipping to california

:(

Awww, that is a bummer, I wonder why? I'll ask the seller. I wonder if they are restricted in California.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
kyryah said:
Seiryu said:
kyryah said:

Do these leaves have somewhat similar nutritional properties as the ones with fruit?

I want a mulberry tree too, but not so much the fruit Lol.

I'm not sure, but I would assume so. I more want it for shade for my Redfoots than as a food source.

spikethebest said:
kyryah said:

it says no shipping to california

:(

Awww, that is a bummer, I wonder why? I'll ask the seller. I wonder if they are restricted in California.

They are probably considered an invasive species since they spread so quickly and are about impossible to kill.

teq1

5 Year Member
Texas
So this is a fruitless tree? That's awesome! I'm guna buy it right now lol. Thanks so much for the link kyryah! Woop woop!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Because they are nuisance trees due to the fruit mess and also they way they spread, many places won't allow them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
wow you truly can find everything on ebay,

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
This variety is fruitless - Chaparral Weeping Mulberry. I am thinking that they won't spread as bad, considering birds and stuff won't spread seeds all over the place.

teq1

5 Year Member
Texas
I just tried to buy one but they are sold out : (

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
We will have 1 gal trees for $35, these are much larger then little seedlings in that ebay post. We sell out every year, but these would be actual usable size trees for food/shade/shelter come summer. Fruitless and weeping dwarf, very hardy tree and not common in most plant shops. This tree can even be grown in containers. Click the photo below for more info and to order.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
exoticsdr said:
They are probably considered an invasive species since they spread so quickly and are about impossible to kill.

I can't hardly keep them alive between the gophers, the ground squirrels and the scorching dry summers!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
coastal said:
We will have 1 gal trees for $35, these are much larger then little seedlings in that ebay post. We sell out every year, but these would be actual usable size trees for food/shade/shelter come summer. Fruitless and weeping dwarf, very hardy tree and not common in most plant shops. This tree can even be grown in containers. Click the photo below for more info and to order.

I agree yours would be my choice, if not for the shipping charges. :(

Jacqui said:
Because they are nuisance trees due to the fruit mess and also they way they spread, many places won't allow them.
:D Looks like by the time I started this post and stopped in the middle to let a dog out, the good Doc beat me to the answer why not to CA... and lots of other places.

Tom said:
exoticsdr said:

I can't hardly keep them alive between the gophers, the ground squirrels and the scorching dry summers!!!

:D My problem is mine only do well in the places I don't want them, like fence lines and right next to rose bushes. :cool: I need several more, especially since my old tree lost another sizable chunk again last year.

This was after removing some of the smaller branches to feed out.
021.jpg

035.jpg

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Not much I can do with shipping, these are shipped in quite large boxes in 1 gal pots with massive root system. I can have them held at your local FedEx office store and save you some money there. If you email me your zip I can tell you what the price would be.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So this tree can be grown from cuttings? I will have to look into it since a friend of mine (yes I do have friends) has a fruitless tree, and I have always wanted some.

Hey tom do you think you could PM me the instructions on how to do the cuttings? I would like to give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.