Mulberry Tree Leaves

Tortmomma2

5 Year Member
I have a fruitless mulberry tree in my front yard and I was wondering if it is okay to feed my African Sulcata tort the leaves? I thought I have read I could but I want to check to make sure I could again. Thanks guys

rearlpettway

Yes, they are ok to feed to your Sulcata.
They are a small percentage of Kendall's daily diet.

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yep. Good stuff. For babies I hand pick a few young tender leaves from the ends of the branches. For older torts I just chop and drop whole branches into the enclosures and they eat them right off the branch.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Feed them to my Russians every week in the summer. Some like them better than others.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I planted a fruitless mulberry tree especially for my sulcata, and he will not eat them. He walks right over them to get to more grass. At least it's a pretty tree.

New foods often have to be introduce over time. Especially if a tortoise isn't used to eating all sorts of crazy things.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I know, I've been trying to get her to eat them all year. I haven't tried cutting them up and sprinkle them on mazuri yet.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes :D
Was wondering, though, everyone seems to have planted 'fruitless' mulberry trees... reason why? I didn't even now they made fruint until I read it here :eek: is it poisonous?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Was wondering, though, everyone seems to have planted 'fruitless' mulberry trees... reason why? I didn't even now they made fruint until I read it here :eek: is it poisonous?

Just for the purpose to having mulberry leaf to feed my tortoises, I plated three of those trees couple years ago. They are about 3 inches tall at the time I received ( I ordered from a online nursery). It is over 6 foot tall now. very health looking trees, my wife only pick couple leafs from each tree every week because I have so many tortoises and tree are still young.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The fruit is fine, it tastes good, some trees are cultivated just for the fruit for pies, jam etc. But, it can be messy, draws in birds that deficate all over, and it stains concrete, shoe bottom -> carpets etc.

Tortmomma2

5 Year Member
The fruit is fine, it tastes good, some trees are cultivated just for the fruit for pies, jam etc. But, it can be messy, draws in birds that deficate all over, and it stains concrete, shoe bottom -> carpets etc.

That is why I guess it would be very important to clean the leaves thoroughly

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know, I've been trying to get her to eat them all year. I haven't tried cutting them up and sprinkle them on mazuri yet.
Cut up the leaves super fine and mix in a very small amount with a favorite green. Do this several days in a row until all the food is eaten up with the usual gusto. Use a very small amount of the mulberry leaves at first and up the ratio over a period of weeks. Don't give in if your tortoise decides to not eat much for the first few days of this. Hunger is a good motivator. In time your tortoise will recognize the sight, smell and taste of the mulberry leaves as food.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Thanks Tom. I'm not too worried about it now, as she eats grass and weeds and mazuri supplemented a few times a week. I also give grocery store greens sometimes as a treat. I just thought it was weird that she eats anything I put in front of her, but walks over mulberry leaves. She'll eat poop, but not mulberry leaves!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I do something similar to TOM. I've been rolling up food leaves and lettuces into a tube. Maybe 3-5 varieties at a time and then cutting them into portions with some scissors like sushi rolls. The end result is the same. They don't pick and choose this way and they all eat a variety. I just bought and planted a Dwarf Mulberry tree, but it is still in shock and I've used very few leaves so far.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Just for the purpose to having mulberry leaf to feed my tortoises, I plated three of those trees couple years ago. They are about 3 inches tall at the time I received ( I ordered from a online nursery). It is over 6 foot tall now. very health looking trees, my wife only pick couple leafs from each tree every week because I have so many tortoises and tree are still young.
I might have to look into getting one! :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Now that I think about it, I have heard of Mulberry pie, and I highly doubt they make it with leaves o_O
There is nursery here that sells all sorts of exotic plants, one of the best (IMO!) I bet they''d probably have a couple :D Hmm. Should probably wait until spring to plant, right? Then the trees can get established before winter?