Moderator Nomination

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I think Anja would be a great moderator! She is always very helpful to everyone!!!!!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Ahhh thanks girls. I can if Josh needs me to be. Im here pretty much every day anyways. lol

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I must not understand what it means to be a moderator. Having all the knowledge and experience and being helpful and liked by most.. has nothing to do with moderating a situation.. in this case TortoiseForum.org.

A moderator, according to definition anyway, is one that presides over a meeting, forum or debate. The arbitrator of a dispute.. a judge if you will.

Politics has nothing to do with being a moderator.. experience at determining "what" is right.. not "who" is right is what makes a good moderator. Of course a solid set of forum "bi-laws" must be in place first.

I can share years of experience but that doesn't qualify me as a good [ unbiased ] moderator.. or a desire to be. Is lobbying to be a moderator in order?

I trust Josh will consider these things when making the choice. And I agree TortoiseForum needs a moderator.

Terry

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Terry, I do not understand what you are trying to say. A person that is knowledgeable, helpful and able to give an unbiased opinion should be a moderator? I think that is what we all want. Maybe I am not understanding your thinking. Sorry....

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
You're right Terry, the moderator's job is to settle disputes, enforce forum rules, and help with any member's questions. Of course, experience in keeping tortoises isn't mandatory but it sure is a big bonus. I guess the lines get blurred where the moderator has to determine exactly 'what' is right. I guess in this case we use the word moderator a little loosely so that the prerequisites include general tortoise husbandry knowledge. We would all benefit from a more experienced moderator. The moderator will need to be able to navigate the site efficiently and understand how to edit posts and move threads. Also, there are potentially a lot of administrative tasks involved. I am considering putting together a small set of forum rules. I personally think most other online forums have too may rules that are too strictly enforced and it can make for a very unwelcoming feeling. I don't want that for this site.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
I too think Anja would make a great moderator...she has a level head and knows how to handle things with tact. She is very knowledgable and has skills with the computer.:)

Keep up the good work Josh, keeping us simplistic and Welcoming to newbies...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
josh said:
You're right Terry, the moderator's job is to settle disputes, enforce forum rules, and help with any member's questions. Of course, experience in keeping tortoises isn't mandatory but it sure is a big bonus. I guess the lines get blurred where the moderator has to determine exactly 'what' is right. I guess in this case we use the word moderator a little loosely so that the prerequisites include general tortoise husbandry knowledge. We would all benefit from a more experienced moderator. The moderator will need to be able to navigate the site efficiently and understand how to edit posts and move threads. Also, there are potentially a lot of administrative tasks involved. I am considering putting together a small set of forum rules. I personally think most other online forums have too may rules that are too strictly enforced and it can make for a very unwelcoming feeling. I don't want that for this site.

I tried this awhile ago but typed too slow so it timed out on me I guess. I may have to say this in 'steps'.. :rolleyes:

Josh we are on the same page.. and Dee you just said the same thing I said.

I believe when the "rules" are crystal clear.. and the 'moderator' knows that being a 'moderator' is not a TITLE but serious responsibilty.. then you have the ideal combination.

Yes we all have been to "those" forums that have moderators that look for excuses to enforce the LAW.. and/or EVERYBODY thinks they are little gods that only know one way to handle a situation with any tortoise! And if you submit an idea [ based on experience that dates back to before they were born ] their egos and pride won't allow them to accept it and the tortoises are the ones that suffer! We all know the 'wannabe's' and 'thinktheyare's' at those places!

If you'll pardon the personal reference: When I first created Turtletary I had few "laws" .. just a desire to do business fair and honest. It didn't take long until someone came along that tried to take advantage of that... so I had to create the Terms of Service. I can count on one finger the number of times in 4 years.. that I've had to enforce the TOS.. but they are there to protect the caring folks!

So someone with computer skills.. people skills and tortoise skills is what you are seeking I'm sure. With the realization of the responsibilty at hand.. and no desire to do anything but serve!

In my opinion the only obvious choice is Robyn or Dee.. I hope she will accept the responsibilty.

Terry

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Well Terry, I appreciate your choices. Even though I love to talk to people I am not that knowledgeable and I am still learning from all of the longtime tort owners here and I am just learning how to do things on the forum with my computer so I don't think I am your girl. Thanks though!

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
My initial thought when I read this thread was Anja. So since she's up for it, she has my "vote".

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Are you wanting more than one? Because I put my vote out for Anja, but if you need more, what about EgyptianDan?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I second that - there are so many helpful, knowledgeable people here that could rotate!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you need any others to help, I would enjoy being a mod too.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Redfoot NERD, I appreciate the nomination and confedence. However I too will have to turn down the nomination at this time. I am finding more of a time crunch and am not sure I am up for this at this time. Perhaps in the future I would/could give it a try if voted in. Again thanks for the nomimation.

I agree with Dee there are so many helpful, knowledgeable people here perhaps you could set up a rotating moderater list, or a list of moderators that can step in when needed.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Are there going to be specific moderators for individual forums or are the moderators for the entire site?

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I agree to Danny, Spike and Anja...how about H.Chris? Always seems timely, unbiased, interested and knowledgable.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Do you think it would be better to have mods for individual forums? I kind of always thought about having moderators for the entire forum but I don't see why it couldn't be the other way too...

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
It might be easier for the person who is moderating to just do a couplefew forums instead of the whole site...

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
It sounds more feasible to have the forums broken down for the mods to 'watch'.
I do not know of the moderators would have a preference to be assigned the same 2 or would prefer to rotate, or if there are some that are more heavily used than others at the moment.
I noticed on 'the source' cornsnake forun they have a couple mods assigned to some of the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.