Is this a good light?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Alief
UVB you should use (<Tap there<)
I’ve had one of those but recently I changed it,
It will cause your tortoise to start Pyramiding. It going to dry out the Carapace which you don’t want.
You need to keep high Humidity and high temperatures depending on what tortoise you own.
You should get a UVB light and a CHE again depending on your Tortoise

addyson123

Oregon
UVB you should use (<Tap there<)
I’ve had one of those but recently I changed it,
It will cause your tortoise to start Pyramiding. It going to dry out the Carapace which you don’t want.
You need to keep high Humidity and high temperatures depending on what tortoise you own.
You should get a UVB light and a CHE again depending on your Tortoise

Okay, my enclosure doesn't have a lid/top so how would I be able to use those kind of uvb strips?

addyson123

Oregon
How old? You’ll need to keep high Humidity depending on his age, you should get a closed chamber or something that keeps high Humidity. Tap Here for Thread on how to care for them.

I have a hygrometer and the humidity levels are at the right level for his age, which is an adult (Probably about 5 years old, and not growing much anymore)

KronksMom

Illinois
Russian tortoises do not need high humidity and do very well in open tables. Russians really aren't prone to pyramiding like a lot of other species, so the MVB bulb you were looking at would be just fine. And 100w is the right size. Just make sure you mount it high enough to not burn the top of his carapace, those suckers get hot!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Russian tortoises do not need high humidity and do very well in open tables. Russians really aren't prone to pyramiding like a lot of other species, so the MVB bulb you were looking at would be just fine. And 100w is the right size. Just make sure you mount it high enough to not burn the top of his carapace, those suckers get hot!
I totally forgot to mention that, testudo aren’t a species that can pyramid easily. But I wouldn’t recommend using it anyways (for precaution)

KronksMom

Illinois
Yvonne likes MVBs, Tom doesn't. I understand where he's coming from and if you do a search you can find his explanation in his own words. Maybe you'll find, like I did, that his concerns don't apply nearly as much to adult russians as they do to other species or younger tortoises. I did eventually upgrade to a radiant heat panel, but that can be a pretty big financial commitment for some people, especially since you really can't run one without a thermostat. In the mean time, a mercury vapor bulb does provide everything, heat uva and uvb all at once for a very reasonable price. They do tend to burn out more frequently than other lights and their uv output is a bit less dependable than some other bulbs (per Tom, he has a fancy uv reader), but Russians are incredibly hardy. At the end of the day, all any of us are doing here is offering advice. Take in as much as you can and then make the decision you think is right for your tortoise. But @iAmCentrochelys sulcata is right, there are downsides with the MVB. To my mind, that's why they're "a deal."

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I never said I like or dislike MVB. What i said was MVBs aren't good to use over babies, but aren't that harmful to use over grown tortoises as long as there's plenty of shade and hiding places. I switched out all my MVBs for T-5 fluorescent UVB lights with either CHE or RHP. Not because I don't like them but because the only tortoises I have lights over are babies.

Reactions: Tom

addyson123

Oregon

Okay, thanks so much!

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
I never said I like or dislike MVB. What i said was MVBs aren't good to use over babies, but aren't that harmful to use over grown tortoises as long as there's plenty of shade and hiding places. I switched out all my MVBs for T-5 fluorescent UVB lights with either CHE or RHP. Not because I don't like them but because the only tortoises I have lights over are babies.
Yvonne, isn’t it true if you get your tortoise out in the sun a few hours a week you don’t need a UV light? With warmer temps I am getting mine out in the sun for about 30 minutes a day, 1 year old Leopard, and was thinking of just using a basking bulb for heat. Thanks in advance.

addyson123

Oregon
Yvonne likes MVBs, Tom doesn't. I understand where he's coming from and if you do a search you can find his explanation in his own words. Maybe you'll find, like I did, that his concerns don't apply nearly as much to adult russians as they do to other species or younger tortoises. I did eventually upgrade to a radiant heat panel, but that can be a pretty big financial commitment for some people, especially since you really can't run one without a thermostat. In the mean time, a mercury vapor bulb does provide everything, heat uva and uvb all at once for a very reasonable price. They do tend to burn out more frequently than other lights and their uv output is a bit less dependable than some other bulbs (per Tom, he has a fancy uv reader), but Russians are incredibly hardy. At the end of the day, all any of us are doing here is offering advice. Take in as much as you can and then make the decision you think is right for your tortoise. But @iAmCentrochelys sulcata is right, there are downsides with the MVB. To my mind, that's why they're "a deal."

Yeah, thanks for your input. I think, for now at least, I am going to go with that bulb and see how it turns out. I hope that it will last awhile before burning out but when it does, I'll re-assess then.

franklin444

U.S.A
this is my favorite light and I have it. It is super reliable and very good quality. It has UV and heat so it is perfect for Russians. It is a small light so it does not take up too much space but it covers a lot of area and puts off plenty of heat and my tank is 100 degrees.

it is called the exo Terra sun-ray 50 watt light fixture.

here is the link.

addyson123

Oregon
this is my favorite light and I have it. It is super reliable and very good quality. It has UV and heat so it is perfect for Russians. It is a small light so it does not take up too much space but it covers a lot of area and puts off plenty of heat and my tank is 100 degrees.

it is called the exo Terra sun-ray 50 watt light fixture.

here is the link.

Okay, thanks. I think i’m going go with this one for now because it’s a bit cheaper and then i’ll see how it works.