What uvb bulbs do you guys use?

ariesxiao

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
I am currently using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078NLTSD1/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
It looks like a combination of UVB and UVA
I put it 9-10 inches above the tortoise container bottom.
Today I borrowed a UV meter from my friend which I believe is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GXJFJG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Then I did some test and it said the UVA/UVB result is 0.1-0.2. What does that mean? Is that too low?

I think my friend is using this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4ZRX6E/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
In this same distance, the UVA UVB result is about 1-2 which is about 10 times of my bulb result.

I am thinking to switch to this one. Even think about this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWMLLP9/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
which looks the watts number is even higher.

My question is:
1. What bulb does you guys recommend?
2. How much UVA UVB testing result is good for the tortoise(<1, 1-2, >2, >5)? I did some investigation in this forum and somebody said overdose of the UVB will cause skin problems like sun burn. So I'd like to get a good bulb with a good distance to the tortoise.
I do add multi vitamin powder to the tortoise food every day. The calcium supplement I am using also contains vitamin D3.
Thanks a lot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's good that you bought a UV meter, but I'm sorry, I don't know how to read the results. Let's shout out to @Markw84 . He's good with lighting. I DO know that I don't use the compact fluorescent bulbs because I've had experience with those curly type bulbs causing eye damage in young tortoises.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I am currently using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078NLTSD1/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
It looks like a combination of UVB and UVA
I put it 9-10 inches above the tortoise container bottom.
Today I borrowed a UV meter from my friend which I believe is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GXJFJG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Then I did some test and it said the UVA/UVB result is 0.1-0.2. What does that mean? Is that too low?

I think my friend is using this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4ZRX6E/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
In this same distance, the UVA UVB result is about 1-2 which is about 10 times of my bulb result.

I am thinking to switch to this one. Even think about this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWMLLP9/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
which looks the watts number is even higher.

My question is:
1. What bulb does you guys recommend?
2. How much UVA UVB testing result is good for the tortoise(<1, 1-2, >2, >5)? I did some investigation in this forum and somebody said overdose of the UVB will cause skin problems like sun burn. So I'd like to get a good bulb with a good distance to the tortoise.
I do add multi vitamin powder to the tortoise food every day. The calcium supplement I am using also contains vitamin D3.
Thanks a lot

A reading that low indicates that bulb is putting out very little UVB and is not useful. What type of tortoise are you using the bulb for? Knowing the type of tortoise and the type of enclosure is needed to really suggest proper lighting. I believe you have Russian, sulcata, and perhaps just got a Burmese star?

In general, you will want a reading from that solarmeter of around 3.0 -4.0 for most tortoises. If you just use a peak midday 3-4 hours exposure in your setup, you may want a reading around 5.0 in the basking zone.

I do not like the compact fluorescents for tortoises. They have to be placed too close to get any useful strengths of UVB and produce too small a basking zone.

I do not like Mercury Vapor or HID or halide bulbs for tortoises. They put out a tremendous amount of near IR. The bulbs notoriously do not last long and burn out quite easily in high heat situations like a more closed system we need in our enclosures. They cannot be placed in a hood type fixture that is very deep or narrow or they will burn out constantly.

I really like the Arcadia T5 tube fluorescent lights. I use the 12.0 T% bulbs. They last the longest of any UVB bulb, and put out a good strong UVB when placed in the 18" height range. That gives a nice basking zone than is wider than less powerful bulbs will give. Bulbs that need to be placed closer have a greater chance of error as the UVI reading changes so dramatically with distance. When you use a low preforming UVB that needs to be 8" to give a 3.0 reading, you also have readings changing dramatically every 1" closer or further away. With a bulb giving 3.0 at 20" even a 2" change in height will only change your reading a few tenths - +/- 0.2. so a tortoise standing vs laying down stretched out is not getting dramatically different readings.

But we need more info about species and your enclosure to really help you. The fluorescents will also require an additional incandescent basking bulb for heat placed next to the bulb to create the best basking zone for the species I believe you have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After Mark's post, there isn't much else to be said about UV and lighting. I'm chiming in to give you one more voice in agreement with every point he made, since your question seemed to be directed at the group here. I also use and favor the Arcadia 12% HO tubes for indoor UV.

I would add that daily vitamin or calcium supplementation is too much. You don't need vitamin or calcium supplementation more than once or twice a week, and with a good, varied, weedy diet, you really don't need any at all.

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Virginia
I use Arcadia 12% ho bulbs. They work great.

ariesxiao

5 Year Member
Seattle
A reading that low indicates that bulb is putting out very little UVB and is not useful. What type of tortoise are you using the bulb for? Knowing the type of tortoise and the type of enclosure is needed to really suggest proper lighting. I believe you have Russian, sulcata, and perhaps just got a Burmese star?

In general, you will want a reading from that solarmeter of around 3.0 -4.0 for most tortoises. If you just use a peak midday 3-4 hours exposure in your setup, you may want a reading around 5.0 in the basking zone.

I do not like the compact fluorescents for tortoises. They have to be placed too close to get any useful strengths of UVB and produce too small a basking zone.

I do not like Mercury Vapor or HID or halide bulbs for tortoises. They put out a tremendous amount of near IR. The bulbs notoriously do not last long and burn out quite easily in high heat situations like a more closed system we need in our enclosures. They cannot be placed in a hood type fixture that is very deep or narrow or they will burn out constantly.

I really like the Arcadia T5 tube fluorescent lights. I use the 12.0 T% bulbs. They last the longest of any UVB bulb, and put out a good strong UVB when placed in the 18" height range. That gives a nice basking zone than is wider than less powerful bulbs will give. Bulbs that need to be placed closer have a greater chance of error as the UVI reading changes so dramatically with distance. When you use a low preforming UVB that needs to be 8" to give a 3.0 reading, you also have readings changing dramatically every 1" closer or further away. With a bulb giving 3.0 at 20" even a 2" change in height will only change your reading a few tenths - +/- 0.2. so a tortoise standing vs laying down stretched out is not getting dramatically different readings.

But we need more info about species and your enclosure to really help you. The fluorescents will also require an additional incandescent basking bulb for heat placed next to the bulb to create the best basking zone for the species I believe you have.
Thanks!
I got the 12% tube. I put it on the top of my container which is about 16-17 inches high. The reading is about 1.5-2 at the bottom of the container and it is indeed much higher than my old bulb (although not as high as it is advertised)

I have 1 sulcata tortoise (10 cms, 9-month old), 1 Burmese star from Tom (5cms, 7 months old) and 1 Russian tortoise (11 cm, unknown age). They are in 3 separtae containers

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks!
I got the 12% tube. I put it on the top of my container which is about 16-17 inches high. The reading is about 1.5-2 at the bottom of the container and it is indeed much higher than my old bulb (although not as high as it is advertised)

I have 1 sulcata tortoise (10 cms, 9-month old), 1 Burmese star from Tom (5cms, 7 months old) and 1 Russian tortoise (11 cm, unknown age). They are in 3 separtae containers
The quality of the fixture the bulb is in can affect the output and the life of the bulb. The type of reflector hood will also affect UVI readings. A mirror finish quality reflector will double the UVI reading over no reflector.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is the same bulb. It is the fixture that can really make a difference in readings. I get my UVB supplies here: He is a long-time reptile guy who really kept up in UVB advancements over the years. Todd is also very easy to talk to with questions.

This is the bulb and fixture combo - the 46" size.

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/46-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Sundvl

Phoenix
When I first got my sulcata the bulb was putting out 1.2 which is way low. The box showed it needs to be 3.5-4.5 so I got a new bulb and the UV IS AROUND 3.5. I plan on adding more bedding this weekend to get him closer and a little higher UV

ariesxiao

5 Year Member
Seattle
That is the same bulb. It is the fixture that can really make a difference in readings. I get my UVB supplies here: He is a long-time reptile guy who really kept up in UVB advancements over the years. Todd is also very easy to talk to with questions.

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/46-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/
OK. How much time do you think if I need to expose my three tortoise (Sulcata 10cm, 9-month old, Russian 11cm, unknown age, Burmese Star 5cm, 7-month old) if the reading is 1.5-2 and if the reading is 3+

I am evaluating if I need to rebuy the fixture. I just spent 100 dollars to buy three fixtures. It looks I need to spend another 150 dollars from your website to buy 3 more fixtures.

ariesxiao

5 Year Member
Seattle
When I first got my sulcata the bulb was putting out 1.2 which is way low. The box showed it needs to be 3.5-4.5 so I got a new bulb and the UV IS AROUND 3.5. I plan on adding more bedding this weekend to get him closer and a little higher UV
How many hours do you expose your tortoise in 3.5 reading uv light?

ariesxiao

5 Year Member
Seattle

A supplement. I put the light 17 inches above the bottom which is more than 40 cms. From the item description in the website where I bought it, https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html, 40 cms distance does only provide a 1.5 around UV light. From the graph in the item pictures, it looks it only can provide a 3.0 reading in the 20cms or nearer distance.
This is the fixture I bought https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html. From the item description, it looks it already has a reflector. But in the website you provided, http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/46-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/, it indeed mentions it has a high-output reflector. But I am not 100% sure if that fixture can provide a 3.0 reading in a 17 inches distance. After I buy it and if it doesn't work as expected readings, it is very hard for me to return. For example, for the website I bought my tubes, I need to pay return shipping and get charged 15% restocking fee if I want to return.

Can you kindly tell me how long I should expose my tortoise if the reading is 1.5? I just want to see if I can supplement the UV light by increasing the exposing time. Currently, I expose them 12 hours, from 8am when I get up to 8pm when I arrive at home after work, about 12 hours a day

Plus I do supplement the calcium with D3 in food every 3 days

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would need to know your complete lighting setup to give any meaningful answer.

There is no good data on an exposure requirement for tortoises to UVB for D3 synthesis. We can only extrapolate estimates based upon data from other animals and sun exposure into we have readily available for humans. From all the data I see, Pre vit D is formed quite quickly in the skin with exposure to UVB. My estimate would be a matter of 15 minutes or so at UVI 3-4. The bulk of basking time is for heating the skin and thermoregulation. The completion of Pre vit D to D3 takes a few hours and requires heated skin. with cooler skin it requires many hours.

With a UVI of 3-4 I only have mine on for 4 hours per day. But I have other full spectrum T5 lights in the enclosure for a good ambient even with the UVB bulb off. IF you do not have a good full spectrum light other than your UVB, I would leave that bulb on for 14 hours with a young, growing tortoise. With a UVI of 1.5 I would tend to leave that bulb on the whole photoperiod - 14 hours.

With your D3 supplement, you should be fine either way.