A Home for Hector

xtessybear

I understand how stressful it can be and overwhelming. Read the adult Russian care sheet and it will tell you everything you need to know. The main dimensions that people will tell you is 4' x 8'. No aquarium will cost that much, I mean it won't come that big and if it does it will cost too much. Home Depot has a great 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub that you could use, get to three or four of them and just hook them together. You can keep the lids on and cut holes big enough for the lamps and lights. Or just put a clear shower curtain over the top to help keep in the heat and humidity. For an adult rush and you are shooting for about 50% humidity.
To help get this pour water into the coconut coir and mix it around with your hands till it is all damp but not soggy. Then patted down with your hand to make it a more solid surface to walk on.
You can use terra-cotta plant saucers for food and water. Take a look at the enclosures section and you will find some great ideas there also. It takes a little time to get it like you like. And then if you're like me you're going to tweak it here in there also.
Just take a deep breath and regroup. And don't worry, I think just about everybody ends up buying a lot of stuff they don't need or want use. It's kind of how it goes when you're learning.
Yeah! A coworker of mine breeds Russians so he's going to help me build an actual tortoise table. Our dimensions for that so far are 3 feet by 6 feet, so will that be plenty of room for my tort? He's technically an adult, and is roughly 5 inches in length so I was really thrown off when someone told me he was a lot older. And the humidity it's been at recently is like 50-60% but I've been using a cheap stick on thing to read the humidity levels so I can't say how accurate that is. Just ordered a bunch of great stuff that will help me read these things a lot more accurately though.