A Home for Hector

Darby Homestead

Location (City and/or State)
Southern New Jersey
Okay... bear with me. We are slightly obsessive about doing things right. Please guide me.

Here are the supplies I'm going to buy today. Amazon has free two day shipping, so it will arrive on Wednesday. That means, we will be able to set his shipping date for arrival on Thursday.

I would like a few experienced Russian keepers to verify these items are safe and useful.

Enclosure
- purchased a tote that measures 30 x 24 x 6. This will be his temporary home until we, hopefully, move next month. At that time, we will purchase a 40 gallon aquarium. We will use the current set up as his outdoor (supervised) pen in the spring. (If we don't move, we'll prepare it here. Just don't want to lug it if we don't have to.)

- We've decided to use coconut coir for substrate. That way, we can grow his food inside, too. Will one ten pound brick be enough for listed dimensions? I'll be getting this brand.

- Hides

- Saucers for water

- Slate rocks- one for basking, one for food.

Tools

- uv/heat/light bulb

- ceramic heating element

- two bulb holders

- temperature gun

- humidity thermometer

- mister

- room heater

Food and Supplements

- seed mix

- dandelion seeds

- tnt with probiotics

- cuttlebone

First, I'd like to verify that all of these items are, in fact, suitable. My husband does not care for wasted spending! Doing it right the first time seems like a good idea. If any of the linked items are unsuitable, please post a new link. Finding the correct items has been a two day project, not that I mind, I'm just sayin'.

A few questions:

1. The house heater is broken here. What is the ideal room temperature to allow the heating elements to work properly? The house is normally around 65, utilizing space heaters when necessary. If we don't move, we'll be getting it fixed.

2. If I buy a piece of glass to cover the enclosure, will the heater/uv work correctly through it? If it won't work, is cutting holes in the plastic lid safe, what is the possibility of melting? Any suggestions to keep Hector and Chatter the cat safe would be appreciated. Tortoise IN, cat OUT. =)

3. Am I missing anything he'll need for the first three months?

A few topics I will bug about in the future:

- normal tortoise behavior... can you tell if they're happy?
- emergency preparedness
- first aid kit
- frequency necessary of changing substrate completely

I don't want to be tooooo long winded. I realize it's already too late!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For the clay saucer, I would try to find ones that are glazed on the inside. Holds water better and much easier to clean.
For the hides, hind ones that don't have holes or so many holes in the bottom and the clay ones will work better as you can bury some of it, making it more like a cave and it will hold up under the coir or dirt. He also won't be able to move it all over the place.

Darby Homestead

Southern New Jersey
It turns out that it is going to go down to freezing temperatures overnight. I've asked the breeder if she can hold him for us until we either 1.) move or 2.) get the heater fixed. Knowing how important temperature is, I don't think I'm willing to risk it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477331773.914981.jpg
Here is my set up for my Russian hatchling. I put the stones around the food bowl and water bowl because little babies get very dirty and tend to drag the substrate all over the place. I found one of these to be very helpful.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477331913.751604.jpg
Because the only place I had to put his tank was by a window I put a layer of this on the back of the aquarium. You can do all sides if you wanted to and the bottom also I guess.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477331982.208021.jpg

Darby Homestead

Southern New Jersey
Thank you for the links and the kind welcome. I got word from the breeder that she WILL hold him for us. I'm so relieved. We currently live in a VERY poorly insulated double wide. I really don't think anything will keep his enclosure at 100 degrees on his basking spot! Now, I can skip all the drama and START him in his 40 gallon. I really love this forum. Thanks so much. Keep the education coming.

Darby Homestead

Southern New Jersey
Hi @Darby Homestead and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and care sheets available.
That was one of the first topics I read! I've also read all of the care sheets I can find on here. There are so many new words to learn, I get confused. It makes me feel better when those in "the know" can tell me I'm making good choices. Hopefully, this makes sense.

Darby Homestead

Southern New Jersey
Following this thread! I will be setting up my first tortoise home soon and am obsessing about products :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the obsession. I'm so worried about doing it wrong. When I read the weather report, my heart sank. It's all working out find, though. Keep me updated on your journey!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That reflectix stuff might come in pretty handy for you. Only a small area has to be 95 to 100°. The other and could get down to 70's safely.
You will need a plan in case the electricity goes out. Which it's almost guaranteed to. There are several things you could do, a hot water bottle for example. The key is to have one small area you can keep warm for my adult Russian. I use a 3 gallon Rubbermaid tub. With dry substrate in it and handwarmers wrapped in a towel. I was able to keep it at 76°-83° for a few hours last year when the electricity went out here.. I think for the hatchling I will have an even smaller container with one hand warmer. I plan to do a test run before I need to do it for real. Russians are relatively hardy compared to some species of tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A permanent tank

Do you think that this would provide adequate floor space in a permanent enclosure? He will also have an outdoor enclosure in the summer.

Thank you!

Oh man...don't spend that much money. Glass is always so costly. Look for a similar sized plastic tub. Feed stores sell nice, large tubs for water troughs and much cheaper than a glass aquarium. I have several of these:

http://www.target.com/p/iris-christ...gclid=CJWl1fnVhdACFRB4fgodGcsH5Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's about 4' long and not quite 2' wide. Here it is with my baby desert tortoises in it:

baby desert tortoises 9-17-15 a.jpg

Darby Homestead

Southern New Jersey
With five dogs, three cats, and two ferrets, I am partial to the security of the glass.

One of our cats learned how to open his bedroom door and one of the others learned how to get her plastic food storage bin open! We'd like to play it safe, rather than sorry!

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the obsession. I'm so worried about doing it wrong. When I read the weather report, my heart sank. It's all working out find, though. Keep me updated on your journey!
I'm going to be getting a Red foot soon and I'm already obsessing over it. I'm planning things out and everything lol. I don't have any experience with Russian torts but I'm sure s/he'll you'll do fine

xtessybear

goodness, I love these forums but I totally feel like I'm not the best tortoise owner. I really want to start fresh with Dipper's habitat, but I don't know where to even start or how much it'll cost. my vet told me he's around 3 years old, but I have him in a 40 gallon rubbermaid tote with a half-log hideaway as well as some stone thing I ordered off of amazon. the substrate I'm using is coconut coir and it's around 2-3 inches deep, but it's dry. I also read that clamping lights to the side isn't considered appropriate fixtures. I've totally torn through all of the beginner's mistakes threads and all of that, but I read so many different things that I'm kind of lost and don't even know where to start now. Is there any way someone could help me with all of the must-haves? I have someone who is willing to help me build a tortoise table, but what sorts of light fixtures are appropriate? Is dry coconut coir not a good substrate? What would be an alright hideaway? He sometimes walks around and scratches on the walls, but I want to be the best tortoise mommy for him.

Dimensions on an ideal tortoise table or what size aquarium?
Lighting fixtures?
What to use to tell temps?
Place for him to eat where his food wont get all dirty (some sort of rock maybe)?
What kind of hideaways would he like?
I can't find a water dish that works well for him?
I live in MN so is there anything I could try plant inside my home or maybe even in his enclosure?

Gulf Coast of Florida
For some of your questions (above poster)....an infrared temperature gun works best for getting temperatures in different areas...you can find one on amazon for less than $20. For a water dish, I am using a large clay pot bottom on the bottom flush with the substrate. Same for the food, but a smaller one. For lighting fixture, I am using ZooMed's double deep dome with a mercury vapor lamp that provides UVA/UVB/Heat/Light and a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) for nighttime heat, both on a night/day timer. Still tweaking the placement for right temps. I got all of this on Amazon.

Most of this stuff is also in the forums under care sheets and whatnot.

EDIT: oh, and I love this thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BKDO8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

xtessybear

For some of your questions (above poster)....an infrared temperature gun works best for getting temperatures in different areas...you can find one on amazon for less than $20. For a water dish, I am using a large clay pot bottom on the bottom flush with the substrate. Same for the food, but a smaller one. For lighting fixture, I am using ZooMed's double deep dome with a mercury vapor lamp that provides UVA/UVB/Heat/Light and a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) for nighttime heat, both on a night/day timer. Still tweaking the placement for right temps. I got all of this on Amazon.

Most of this stuff is also in the forums under care sheets and whatnot.

EDIT: oh, and I love this thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BKDO8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
sweet! I just spent a good $150 on items both on the Petco website and on Amazon. I'm currently working on what I really want for his tortoise table, but I see so many great ideas on this website that I just cant choose. It has to at least fit through my door but from what I've been told, Dipper is basically a fully grown Russian. I was thinking of a wooden enclosure that is like 2.5/3ft. by 6/7ft. does that sound okay size-wise? Also, I'm currently using dry coco coir for a substrate, but should I change it up at all once I get his new habitat all built?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
goodness, I love these forums but I totally feel like I'm not the best tortoise owner. I really want to start fresh with Dipper's habitat, but I don't know where to even start or how much it'll cost. my vet told me he's around 3 years old, but I have him in a 40 gallon rubbermaid tote with a half-log hideaway as well as some stone thing I ordered off of amazon. the substrate I'm using is coconut coir and it's around 2-3 inches deep, but it's dry. I also read that clamping lights to the side isn't considered appropriate fixtures. I've totally torn through all of the beginner's mistakes threads and all of that, but I read so many different things that I'm kind of lost and don't even know where to start now. Is there any way someone could help me with all of the must-haves? I have someone who is willing to help me build a tortoise table, but what sorts of light fixtures are appropriate? Is dry coconut coir not a good substrate? What would be an alright hideaway? He sometimes walks around and scratches on the walls, but I want to be the best tortoise mommy for him.

Dimensions on an ideal tortoise table or what size aquarium?
Lighting fixtures?
What to use to tell temps?
Place for him to eat where his food wont get all dirty (some sort of rock maybe)?
What kind of hideaways would he like?
I can't find a water dish that works well for him?
I live in MN so is there anything I could try plant inside my home or maybe even in his enclosure?
I understand how stressful it can be and overwhelming. Read the adult Russian care sheet and it will tell you everything you need to know. The main dimensions that people will tell you is 4' x 8'. No aquarium will cost that much, I mean it won't come that big and if it does it will cost too much. Home Depot has a great 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub that you could use, get to three or four of them and just hook them together. You can keep the lids on and cut holes big enough for the lamps and lights. Or just put a clear shower curtain over the top to help keep in the heat and humidity. For an adult rush and you are shooting for about 50% humidity.
To help get this pour water into the coconut coir and mix it around with your hands till it is all damp but not soggy. Then patted down with your hand to make it a more solid surface to walk on.
You can use terra-cotta plant saucers for food and water. Take a look at the enclosures section and you will find some great ideas there also. It takes a little time to get it like you like. And then if you're like me you're going to tweak it here in there also.
Just take a deep breath and regroup. And don't worry, I think just about everybody ends up buying a lot of stuff they don't need or want use. It's kind of how it goes when you're learning.