I am disgusted and devastated.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
http://www.change.org/petitions/flo...ment-in-torture-of-endangered-gopher-tortoise

Hi all, I am new, but I recently found this petition through a friend. Two girls lit an endangered Gopher Tortoise on fire and then squished it and killed it for fun. This is similar to the heinous acts committed by teens before involving the abuse and torture of kittens. The link to the video is included in the article, though I would not advise it (I haven't watched it for fear of rage).

Please take a moment to sign the petition. It takes no time at all, and will hopefully send a message to others that this isn't a crime that we will be taking lightly.

Thanks for reading,
Susan and Bobes
i signed on behalf of myself and my girlfriend, just absolutely disgusting

Turtlepete

South Florida
do you know what kind of punishment they received??????????????????????????????

Don't know. The media seems to have lost interest in the story though. As far as I understand they committed multiple felonies though. Aggravated torture or killing of an animal in Florida is a felony offense. The fact that it was one of our protected Gopher tortoises makes it even worse.

I have to say, what really ticks me off about this (besides the fact of the brutal killing of a beautiful animal), is the fact of how many people are trying to pawn this off as "mental disorder". Every time a human does a disgusting thing, it isn't a mental disorder. It's that they are a disgusting, worthless piece of garbage human being. "Mental disorder" seems to be the word we choose to use whenever a human does something so unspeakably disgusting that we can't find another explanation. These girls knew perfectly what they were doing; the video illustrates that well enough. They did it because they are who they are; disgusting human beings that are worthless to this world.
/Rant over.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
They are already punished, if they are punished again we are kinda being cruel... Therapy seems like a possible "punishment" maybe, I think prison will make them hate animals more :(

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Don't know. The media seems to have lost interest in the story though. As far as I understand they committed multiple felonies though. Aggravated torture or killing of an animal in Florida is a felony offense. The fact that it was one of our protected Gopher tortoises makes it even worse.

I have to say, what really ticks me off about this (besides the fact of the brutal killing of a beautiful animal), is the fact of how many people are trying to pawn this off as "mental disorder". Every time a human does a disgusting thing, it isn't a mental disorder. It's that they are a disgusting, worthless piece of garbage human being. "Mental disorder" seems to be the word we choose to use whenever a human does something so unspeakably disgusting that we can't find another explanation. These girls knew perfectly what they were doing; the video illustrates that well enough. They did it because they are who they are; disgusting human beings that are worthless to this world.
/Rant over.
i completely agree with you , my girlfriend thought i was being a little harsh, but i said i would burn those two girls alive , and then see how funny they think it is then. people are just disgusting , to set an animal on fire like that, your whole life , body, mind and soul has to be completely overtaken by the devil, im not a religious person or any thing like that, but theres no other explanation, that act is probably one of the most disgusting , cruel things ive ever seen in my life, i was just so upset watching that video, i realy cant even put it in words

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They are already punished, if they are punished again we are kinda being cruel... Therapy seems like a possible "punishment" maybe, I think prison will make them hate animals more :(

If there is no equal punishment for the willful crime, then continual punishment is the least we have to offer.....it is not the target of the act, it should be the act itself--- the planning, intent and process of the act itself that is punished. If someone is then "truly" remorseful they will willingly continue to take the punishment knowing that they showed no mercy on the innocent creature and likely its own desire to stop being punished... We often forget where the responsibility lies in situations like this...

When some types crimes are forced onto others that are so permanent, then there should be no rest for the wicked. Period.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Well first off i'm sorry for posting this if it upsets you i just needed to rant to people who i know will feel the same way. Ok so i just looked up "cute tortoise" on my phone cuz its 2 in the morning and i cant sleep so i thought i would look at cute torts :). Tumblr popped up and i opened it, and I'm scrolling through all the pics with the #tortoise and they were nice pics of the cute and the massive torts people take pics of. And then i come upon a post that seemed to be a rant so i read it and it made me so sad. These 2 girls found a tortoise and decided to try and burn it to death, and when that didn't work they decide to throw it at the ground. This makes me so sad that my generation was capable of, and did, that. Here's the link to the profile that posted it http://felinecrusader.tumblr.com/post/91956418064/tortoise

And heres the link to the video, but i wouldn't suggest watching it, it was terrible and i really do hope those girls do get punished. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/peygczvj...RTOISE TO DEATH FOR FUN - YouTube [360p].webm

And once again sorry if this made you upset, that was not my intention, i just want this poor tort to get the justice it deserves. So if any of you live in the area of florida mentioned in the post, please try and seek justice :(
Thank you

Kimm91

Came across this video on Facebook the other day and I couldn't watch it till the end. It made me so sick to the point of having nightmares and waking my partner up cause I had to go and save them. However after I reported it to Facebook it apparently dosent show a credible threat of violence. Sorry for ranting just makes me sick.

Kimm :)

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
This incident is all over the news/social media. I haven't heard an update but last I read they were identifying and looking for the girls. I never watched the video, only read the article.... It made me cry and almost made me sick... Some people deserve are horrible....

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I saw something a week or so ago saying they knew who the girls were.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I saw something a week or so ago saying they knew who the girls were.

Yeah people have been posting their real names, address/phone# all different areas of the internets, It's creepy because these girls apparently only live a relatively short walk from where I live. :/

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
YES! I've been following the story, they charged the 14yo as an adult too, right? I'll have to read the article :D Be back!

Edit!! Yay! They'll get a long time for that one...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now lets see them get convicted and do time.

This is a great step in the right direction. I hope other potential animal torturers are taking note: Torture helpless animals - get royally busted, arrested, convicted and hopefully do jail time. Plus have the weight of an entire society bearing down on you.

I'm all for teenagers lighting things on fire and smashing things. I did a lot of that myself as a boy. Still do it sometimes. Just not LIVING things!!!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York

This is a great step in the right direction. I hope other potential animal torturers are taking note: Torture helpless animals - get royally busted, arrested, convicted and hopefully do jail time. Plus have the weight of an entire society bearing down on you.

I'm all for teenagers lighting things on fire and smashing things. I did a lot of that myself as a boy. Still do it sometimes. Just not LIVING things!!!
Sad thing is the tort & the girl's mental health :( I just worry they will do it all over again...

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
This just made my day!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I hope,they get it good.
Now the rest of your statement, scary, never would have thunk it:p:D I know who to call if I need something smashed and burn:confused:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Some of the most fun was when I worked with a group of men that loved to blow things up....the first time or two I was like "wholly s&^*t" who does that....then I realized why and who...teehee... a little harmless pows never hurt anything ;) Plus it is good for the heart to get it going and also for the body to leap behind things quickly....

mojo

Hastings, East Sussex
This is so upsetting just reading what girls did, breaks my heart, that poor little baby. I too am embarrased being human sometimes. They need urgent help. Seriously sick. They need to be punished, but no punishment would be fitting of the torture that poor little tortoise suffered at their hands.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
I just watched the video for the first time :(. I seriously almost got sick. I can't imagine...
Where are the parents? These girls are foul. They said they were bored! They wanted to go start a fire for it! I just wanted to bust their asses...that's what they needed in the first place.