How does it look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
So, if I decide to get this little guy, what do I need to have already prepared for it? I have a quarantine enclosure for it, which will have coco coir (needed for quarantine?), it will be receiving daily 20 min baths for the first few months. Other than the usual requirements, what should I be doing for it? I will be watching its activity and i will be taking to the vet ASAP.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Are you planning on housing it with another tortoise after the quarantine period? considering it's size and possible runtiness, I might want to reconsider that route if you plan to do so.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
No, I do not after reading the many threads against it. I also have only one Russian tortoise.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I feel like I should go for it and get the sulcata. But, before I do I would still like some information on what extra things I need to do for proper care at his age. I may go and see it tonight.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't think you need anything extra, UVB light for indoor enclosure, food water dish, calcium, I can't really think of anything else. If you are worried about the size, only time will tell if anything extra will be needed to be done.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks Dave, your input is always appreciated. I will soak once a day, since he is still so small and only 2 years of age, make a humid hide, change substrate to coco coir, eventually get a temperature gun. Hopefully that will help his health. I really hope this works out!

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
Get him :)
I rescued my sulcata for $125 with some of her supplies, I think she was worth every penny of it,
With her condition I use TNT ( total nutrition for tortoises) 2-3x a week just for extra nutrition, you could do that for this guy

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Snapper925 said:
Get him :)
I rescued my sulcata for $125 with some of her supplies, I think she was worth every penny of it,
With her condition I use TNT ( total nutrition for tortoises) 2-3x a week just for extra nutrition, you could do that for this guy

Thanks for confirming my choice on this little one. I am going to really talk the price of this tortoise down. I have a hard time not feeling like something doesn't have potential (as mentioned before) and I hope that I can help the little guy. I know that I can so this forum will be my lifeline for sure. Where did you get your TNT?

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
You can get it from Carolina pet supply, it's a fine powder like the calcium :)
On your vet trip you can ask the vet his opinion on the little one

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Snapper925 said:
You can get it from Carolina pet supply, it's a fine powder like the calcium :)
On your vet trip you can ask the vet his opinion on the little one

Cool, will do. Thank you very much! Have a good evening. I will post later this week on it after I get set up with everything.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
if your heart is telling you to get him I think it's great. It's not always about the money. Sounds like you will give him a good life no matter how long he lives. I say go for it! it could be the best pet you ever owned.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This could be a great thing for you and the tortoise. There are many things that could have stunted him, but dehydration is the most likely. The good news is that if he has lived this long, he's probably not going to just drop dead all of a sudden. Believe me, for most people, a small sulcata is a good thing. :) Just give him the best care and diet you can and enjoy him.

I like to use a basking lamp over one side of the enclosure set on a 12 hour timer and adjust the height to get a 100 degree basking spot. Then put a CHE over the middle of the enclosure on a thermostat set to 80. The CHE will be ready to go 24/7, but only kick on when the temp drops.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Tom said:
This could be a great thing for you and the tortoise. There are many things that could have stunted him, but dehydration is the most likely. The good news is that if he has lived this long, he's probably not going to just drop dead all of a sudden. Believe me, for most people, a small sulcata is a good thing. :) Just give him the best care and diet you can and enjoy him.

I like to use a basking lamp over one side of the enclosure set on a 12 hour timer and adjust the height to get a 100 degree basking spot. Then put a CHE over the middle of the enclosure on a thermostat set to 80. The CHE will be ready to go 24/7, but only kick on when the temp drops.

This is great, I won't be able to sleep because I will be thinking of all the things I need to get ready for. I will be having it in my "quarantine glass tank" for the first 6 weeks (accurate?). But, after that I will buy a giant plastic container that has been mentioned to use in the beginning.

You said "The CHE will be ready to go 24/7", does this mean leave it on 24/7 or that it will need a timer as well to "kick on"? Sorry, I got confused by this little part.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Status
Not open for further replies.